• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow ? Dripping Springs New Mexico USA (1 Viewer)

jonsund

Florida Naturalist
Could this be an American Tree Sparrow near Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA, today.

Attachments

• Sparrow-9946.jpg
    Sparrow-9946.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Sparrow-9947.jpg
    Sparrow-9947.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 50
I don't think it's an American Tree Sparrow, as for one thing they should show a bi-colored bill, not a solid yellow one, and more of an eye ring. A Field Sparrow should also show more of an eye ring, have a pinkish bill, and wouldn't have the dark eye line behind the eye.

I struggled to put the yellow bill, facial features, rufous crown, and wing bars together. The only thing I could come up with was an immature White-crowned Sparrow of the Pacific race. That would be a ways out of range in Las Cruces, but with the California storms, maybe it's possible.

Last edited:
As I started the confusion, I'll try to clear this up.

White-crowned Sparrows are divided into several sub-groups. Gambel's is one of them, which ranges in the interior west. I live in the east, and I'm used to the appearance of the sub-group here, which has a pink bill. I was struck by the yellow bill of the subject individual here. Consulting Sibley, I found that he shows the yellow bill only on the Pacific group, which should not be anywhere near Las Cruces.

Although Sibley shows orange-pink bills on the Gambel's sub-group, it turns out that they can have yellow bills as well. Thus, that is the obvious explanation for this bird - it's a White-crowned Sparrow in the Gambel's sub-group and being in Las Cruces in the winter is within its normal range.

Thank you for the additional information and clearing up the statements in the thread. Thank you for everyone for their input and help with the identification of this bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back