• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wonderful! (1 Viewer)

rose taylor

As a few of you may know, I am very slightly afraid of the dark, but I have just been to put the washing out. It's still very dark, but the moon is full and it is lighting the garden beautifully, so I've been all brave! It is absolutely wonderous out there. The moon is casting a silvery light over the trees and reflecting in the water that is flowing from the little water feature on the patio. There is a thrush singing his heart out over in the trees and there is just a slight pinkiness in the east which makes for a promising start to the day. I can see the plough and several other constellations I'm not sure what they are. I'm really pleased I went out there, it has made a lovley start to the day and how sad it would have been to miss it!!
Happy days
Rose.

Hi Rose,
Very well done, in confronting your fears
It sounds as though you were amply rewarded for your bravery, what a cracking start to the day. (Hope the washing dries)
George

I didn't know you were a bit afraid of the dark Rose, but well done you for venturing out there. :clap:
I always love the look of the garden in bright moonlight - it is certainly another dimension of the natural beauty there.
The garden in near darkness and quiet is something very wonderful, which I discovered when first joining in with the Shortest Day count at dawn. I know it doesn't involve actually being out there, but sitting alone at the window looking out on the birds' dawn world is a very special experience. Now I look forward to it every year.

Hi Rose Yes the moonlight makes everything look so very different doesnt, glad you enjoyed such a moment.
Orion is one constellation that is promonent in the sky at the moment, rises in the East about 2200 hours, Orion the Hunter, two of the brightest stars in the night sky,Betelgeouse and Rigel at top right and bottom left with the hunters belts of three stars accoss the middle. My favourite constellation a true herald of Christmas.

All the Best Peter

Hi Rose.
Well done you. No matter what one's fears are there must be a feeling of achievement when one confronts them. They might seem irrational to no-sufferers, but they are real enough.
In such a few words you 'painted' a beautiful picture of your garden in moonlight that was a delight to read. Thank you.

All the best.
Baz.

Thank you all for your replies. The day dawned beautifully, the sky is clear and that lovely blue that is apparent at this time of the year.

Hi Peter, Orion is my favourite constellation too, I didn't see him this morning. I think he was low behind the roof at that time of the day. I do see him when I get up though, he's usually just in front of the house.
Happy sunny days
Rose.

I also love the sky just before dawn breaks.

My question is though..... is your washing drying? Mines isn't. Its coming in as stiff as a board!

Ann

Hi Lady,

Well done you, both the doing and the writing about it.

Yes, predawn is a lovely time of day, but you wouldn't have done it here, you'd have lost your washing before you could get it pegged.

I've got the fat-ball feeder in action again, the main users are Jackdaws!

Any more visits from the Fox?

Bill.

I made my very own fat cake last night for the first time. I put it outside into the feeders about 2 hours ago and the starlings have had a field day. The sparrows, robins and blue tits have too much other stuff to munch on.

My fox is doing great. He arrived very early last night, about 9pm and ate all his food up. I wish his mate had made it. Such a shame. It wont be long until we will have them looking for dens. january isnt it?

Hi Bill, and all.
Horrah the washing dried!! Sarah saw the fox last night, but not in the garden. The starlings are eating my fat ball too, I haven't seen the gsw for a while, but it's still dark when I go to school.

Hi Cosworthlady and welcome to the bird board. The weather here in Dover has been absolutly gorgeous today. I am a mid day supervisor at a local primary school and my little ones haven't had to wear their coats out to play because it's been so lovely! Enjoy your visits with us, we are a kind and gentle bunch!!
Rose

Well done, Rose on braving the dark garden, and gosh, weren't you up early to be putting the washing out? I think the moon was full last night, it certainly bathed our garden in beautiful light and shadows. The air is too damp to dry washing round here, and has been for some time.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back