• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (59 Viewers)

Well done Mark on getting your Reed Warbler:t:. I recall offering you some advice as to the best place to see the species on the reserve what must have been just minutes before you saw the bird. Mine was a tickless but, nevertheless, enjoyable day in the company of some great characters. I have also had to reduce my year list by 1:C, as I had included Feral Pigeon in my total - a bird that Mr. Stretch does not wish to see included on anyone's list apparently. My UW year list has been subsequently revised and now stands at 107.

Hi Andy,

It's Brian by the way:t:

If Upton listers want to include Feral Pigeon then lets put it to a vote. But presumably this isn't a 'species' that anyone is going to struggle to see on the reserve so nobody will gain or lose either way. None of the local patch lists for other sites in the county, or the county life lists include Feral Pigeon, so it's just for the sake of consistency really. Anyway, over to you guys to decide........

Brian

You had one Bar-tailed Godwit now; what more do you want? 8-P

Which stayed for 15 minutes!

I had been there from 5.30-9am hoping to get this species, only to be told one had just landed around 10am. So I jump in the car to see it and it flies off before I get there.........so yes, I want more! This was only the second record of Barwit at Grimley in the last 10 years (last were 2 in 2002). Did find a Whimbrel the other morning though.

Brian

If Upton listers want to include Feral Pigeon then lets put it to a vote. But presumably this isn't a 'species' that anyone is going to struggle to see on the reserve so nobody will gain or lose either way. None of the local patch lists for other sites in the county, or the county life lists include Feral Pigeon, so it's just for the sake of consistency really.

This is one that always baffles me - either Feral Pigeon isnt on the County List or therefore shouldnt be counted or it is; the WMBC annual reports always state that it occurs for the county so where are these birds being seen if they can not be counted on these sorts of lists? I would count them across the board until they are officially treated differently but I appreciate I am a bit of a heathen when it comes to these things! :brains:

Well done Mark on getting your Reed Warbler:t:. I recall offering you some advice as to the best place to see the species on the reserve what must have been just minutes before you saw the bird. Mine was a tickless but, nevertheless, enjoyable day in the company of some great characters. I have also had to reduce my year list by 1:C, as I had included Feral Pigeon in my total - a bird that Mr. Stretch does not wish to see included on anyone's list apparently. My UW year list has been subsequently revised and now stands at 107.

Cheers Andy.
Nice one with the RP today, be over soon so hope it sticks.

Brian , I have nort counted Ferel Pigeon on my upton list, Dave can sleep a tad easier

This is one that always baffles me - either Feral Pigeon isnt on the County List or therefore shouldnt be counted or it is; the WMBC annual reports always state that it occurs for the county so where are these birds being seen if they can not be counted on these sorts of lists? I would count them across the board until they are officially treated differently but I appreciate I am a bit of a heathen when it comes to these things! :brains:

So that's one vote FOR then.

I don't think anyone is questioning that they occur, it's just whether they're worth counting - certainly of no conservation value. They're nothing more than vermin in most towns and personally I wouldn't count them, but if it was up to me I wouldn't have Pheasant or Egyptian Goose etc on the British List but that's a whole different story.

Brian

Interesting point re Feral Pigeon - should we count Canada Goose? Personally I'm not fussed either way as it doesn't make any difference as regards lists.

Talking of which - 118 thanks to a Ringed Plover this morning and thanks to Andy for the text.

Whilst walking back to the car over the Education reserve at the back of the Lorry park, I came across a few of these flowering plants. It's quite a unique habitat in this area as it's closely cropped by Rabbits and quite nutrient poor - presumably as it comprises a lot of spoil from the original digging out of the Sailing Pool? Anyway - I'm not sure what these flowers are - they are quite short and reminiscent of a type of geranium (eg Herb Robert) given the red stem and leaves - but could be a type of Stonecrop...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/5679259031/in/photostream

Last edited:

I'd have to say that I reckon they should be counted. If you look at the BTO's idea of what goes on the British List (see below) then they appear as a category C bird alongside the Greylags and Canadas that appear on the reserve. I think if we count these plus pheasant, red-legged partridge, little owl, ring-necked parakeet, ruddy, duck, mandarins and even the reintroduced red kites then feral pigeons have to be counted as well. Sadly we're unlikely to get 'real' rock doves on the reserve unless we get a freak wind blowing straight from the hebrides!

BTO definitions -

The list of species officially recorded in Great Britain is maintained by the British Ornithologists' Union. In 1997, the categorisation was revised to assist protection under national wildlife legislation, especially of naturalised species. Categories A, B and C are included in the British list, Categories D and E are not.

A Species that have been recorded in an apparently natural state at least once since 1 January 1950.

B Species that were recorded in an apparently natural state at least once between 1 January 1800 and 31 December 1949, but have not been recorded subsequently.

C Species that, although introduced, now derive from the resulting self-sustaining populations.

C1 Naturalized introduced species – species that have occurred only as a result of introduction, e.g. Egyptian Goose Alopochen aegyptiacus
C2 Naturalized established species - species with established populations resulting from introduction by Man, but which also occur in an apparently natural state, e.g. Greylag Goose Anser anser.
C3 Naturalized re-established species - species with populations successfully re-established by Man in areas of former occurrence, e.g. Red Kite Milvus milvus.
C4 Naturalized feral species - domesticated species with populations established in the wild, e.g. Feral Pigeon Columba livia.
C5 Vagrant naturalized species - species from established naturalized populations abroad, e.g. possibly some Ruddy Shelduck Tadorna ferruginea occurring in Britain. There are currently no species in category C5.
C6 Former naturalized species – species formerly placed in C1 whose naturalized populations are either no longer self-sustaining or are considered extinct, e.g. Lady Amherst's Pheasant Chrysolophus amherstiae.

D Species that would otherwise appear in Category A except that there is reasonable doubt that they have ever occurred in a natural state. Species placed in Category D only form no part of the British List, and are not included in the species totals.

E Species that have been recorded as introductions, human-assisted transportees or escapees from captivity, and whose breeding populations (if any) are thought not to be self-sustaining. Species in Category E that have bred in the wild in Britain are designated as E*. Category E species form no part of the British List (unless already included within Categories A, B or C).

F Records of bird species recorded before 1800.Full details are available here. There are currently (31/08/10) 592 species on the British list (i.e. in Categories A,B,C).

Thanks Dave - this has surely got to be a record species of wader species on a single day; can John / Des / Mike confirm?

Andy Pitt has reported a Ringed Plover at the Flashes this morning.

Is there a query over the number of Wood Sand - there was the bird on the deck at the Flashes, JHWR's 3 fly-over birds at the Moors and .... ?

Shame no one could get onto that large flock of terns; did your 17 include the resident birds at the Moors?

Hi Phil. I think yesterday's wader figure is a record by some distance. Looking back through my records, the most I can muster is twelve on the 1st August 1996, as follows:

Whimbrel (6)
Greenshank (1)
Ruff (1)
Ringed Plover (1)
Green Sand (7)
Common Sand (5)
Redshank (1)
Curlew (90)
LRP (5)
Dunlin (4)
Lapwing
Snipe (1)

Remember that Avocet and Oystercatcher were not summer residents in the '90's, so wader variety has naturaly increased. Someone out there might have thirteen, but fifteen is some figure.

Des.

Brief visit today while SWMBO visited webbs. Got the Ringed Plover and spent an hour in the Eddy trying to get a Garden Warbler...unfortunately he seemed to be the only warbler species observing the 'midday lull'...chiffys,willows,blackcaps and a whitethroat by the rails :C

And that's probably it now til Saturday. I think I have made 9 visits since Good friday and moved my list from 88 to 105...but most of all I've had some quality leisure time at 'the mecca' with everyone :t:

Still buzzing about the Bluethroat. Excellent painting from Andy Warr, thanks to Andy as he gave me his seat so I could get crippling views. I thought the white spot was more evident. I had started a painting of my own, will have to up my game.
Does anyone think that this Bluethroat stayed long enough to be seen because there was no Cetti's holding territory.

Last edited:
Interesting point re Feral Pigeon - should we count Canada Goose? Personally I'm not fussed either way as it doesn't make any difference as regards lists.

Talking of which - 118 thanks to a Ringed Plover this morning and thanks to Andy for the text.

Whilst walking back to the car over the Education reserve at the back of the Lorry park, I came across a few of these flowering plants. It's quite a unique habitat in this area as it's closely cropped by Rabbits and quite nutrient poor - presumably as it comprises a lot of spoil from the original digging out of the Sailing Pool? Anyway - I'm not sure what these flowers are - they are quite short and reminiscent of a type of geranium (eg Herb Robert) given the red stem and leaves - but could be a type of Stonecrop...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/5679259031/in/photostream

Hi Gert,

They're Common Storksbill - a type of geranium similar indeed to Herb Robert.:t:

Plastic Goose

Had an enjoyable morning at Upton but started to flag at midday so I've come home for a rest.

Started on the moors, where an escaped Ross's Goose wearing a thin gold-coloured ring was present for about 10 minutes before flying off - see photo below.

A good selection of waders was still present on the flashes early morning, including Ringed Plover, Whimbrel, Wood Sandpiper and Bar-tailed Godwit. Apparently, the Wood Sand and Whimbrel became elusive / may have flown off later.

An Arctic Tern and 15 or more Commons were on the moors from mid morning, a flyover Yellow Wagtail (male) and quite a few Swifts.

Also pictured below is a very obliging Sedge Warbler on the flashes...

Attachments

• Escaped Ross's Goose UW 020511.jpg
    Escaped Ross's Goose UW 020511.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Sedge Warbler Flashes 020511.jpg
    Sedge Warbler Flashes 020511.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
BTW I'm not going to get too het up about Feral Pigeon but, personally, think that most of those encountered at UW are straight out of pigeon-fancier's lofts! I don't count it on my county list and only wild Rock Dove on my UK life list (seen in Skye, Orkney and Shetland). It's a personal choice but probably agree there should be more consistency and concensus on such matters.

Still buzzing about the Bluethroat. Excellent painting from Andy Warr, thanks to Andy as he gave me his seat so I could get crippling views. I thought the white spot was more evident. I had started a painting of my own, will have to up my game.
Does anyone think that this Bluethroat stayed long enough to be seen because there was no Cetti's holding territory.

An intriguing thought, I wonder if it kept low due to a slight increase in the reed warbler population there. Perhaps its been there for a few weeks. Well tomorrow I am re-cutting the channels in that area, this will provide viewing throughout the summer, I might have to revisit it each month. Last year there were no viewing facilities as the vegetation was too rank. The channels will only be short and won't deter breeding warblers but will allow us to share in an interment way with the reed loving birds in this enigmatic habitat, from the Hen Pool hide.;)

BTW I'm not going to get too het up about Feral Pigeon but, personally, think that most of those encountered at UW are straight out of pigeon-fancier's lofts! I don't count it on my county list and only wild Rock Dove on my UK life list (seen in Skye, Orkney and Shetland). It's a personal choice but probably agree there should be more consistency and concensus on such matters.

Agree Dave Not on my list either8-P, birds are more interesting than to have numbers attached. :t:
Well 5 more days till the 'big one' All-dayer that is. Steve Nuttall are you warming up :smoke:

Is there a query over the number of Wood Sand - there was the bird on the deck at the Flashes, JHWR's 3 fly-over birds at the Moors and .... ?

Shame no one could get onto that large flock of terns; did your 17 include the resident birds at the Moors?

Two Wood Sands reliably reported yesterday on the deck in the afternoon (only saw one myself) - my only reason for putting 4 or 5 is, I guess, the unlikely possibility that the second bird may've been one of those three fly-over ones that doubled back.

Hard to say whether any of the Common Terns currently present are 'resident' or not - they could all be lingering passage birds and our breeders may be yet to return. :t:

I'd tend to agree that most of the pigeons down there are not actually feral. It's a tricky one. Nice seeing proper rock dove. I got them on the Treshnish Isles just west of Mull.

Thanks Dave - this has surely got to be a record species of wader species on a single day; can John / Des / Mike confirm?

Andy Pitt has reported a Ringed Plover at the Flashes this morning.

When I got to Flashes at approx 1.15 pm there was only 1 Wood Sand feeding in margins to right of sewage farm, later when Stuart arrived there were 2 feeding together for about 30 mins before second bird dissapeared.

When I got to Flashes at approx 1.15 pm there was only 1 Wood Sand feeding in margins to right of sewage farm, later when Stuart arrived there were 2 feeding together for about 30 mins before second bird dissapeared.

Thanks Alan - 2 reliably reported by yourself, Stuart and Steve Taylor. I guess it's very unlikely that one of the 3 flyover birds would peel off so I think we can safely say there were 5 individuals recorded yesterday. :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back