• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A good Day's Birding in cleveland (1 Viewer)

jayuk22

Good day's birding in Cleveland today, with 4 new lifers giving me a total of 130.
We started off at Scaling Dam reservoir where we got Osprey fishing, also had a Great Egret Flying over (which i missed!!!). Managed to see a bar-headed goose in among some canada geese, got to see a Red Grouse family (male, female and chick), then headed down to Coatham marsh in Redcar where i saw 2 Reed warblers with the reports of a Spoonbill on the marsh the day before i thought i might have added that to my list but it must of knew i was coming and hidden in among the reeds, so we head round to South Gare (also in Redcar) to do a little sea watching i manged to spot an Arctic Skua chasing a Sandwich Tern eventually chasing it into the sea which was quite exciting. and finally a look along the beach at redcar found me 5 Sanderling, taking my total to 4 lifers for the day.
A good day's birding apart from the rainy weather ...

Hi Jayuk,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Sounds like you had a good day down there, hope you get the GW Egret and Spoonbill next time!

Should perhaps say though, the Bar-headed Goose is escaped from a zoo, not a wild bird ;)

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Jayuk,
Should perhaps say though, the Bar-headed Goose is escaped from a zoo, not a wild bird ;)

Michael

it was a change seeing a different type of goose in among the canada geese, im not counting it in on my life list, although i wish i could to get my list up a bit more.. :'D

You had a good day out. I popped over to Coatham Marsh and South Gare myself this morning hoping for the Spoonbill but it didn't show. There was a Green Sandpiper though it was a bit too dull and windy for a decent shot.

I'd have gone onto Scaling Dam for the Osprey if the weather hadn't tunred a bit nasty - possibly one for tomorrow! Did you see it from the hide?

Attachments

• DSCN0658ao.jpg
    DSCN0658ao.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 152
jayuk22 said:
Good day's birding in Cleveland today, with 4 new lifers giving me a total of 130.
We started off at Scaling Dam reservoir where we got Osprey fishing, also had a Great Egret Flying over (which i missed!!!). Managed to see a bar-headed goose in among some canada geese, got to see a Red Grouse family (male, female and chick), then headed down to Coatham marsh in Redcar where i saw 2 Reed warblers with the reports of a Spoonbill on the marsh the day before i thought i might have added that to my list but it must of knew i was coming and hidden in among the reeds, so we head round to South Gare (also in Redcar) to do a little sea watching i manged to spot an Arctic Skua chasing a Sandwich Tern eventually chasing it into the sea which was quite exciting. and finally a look along the beach at redcar found me 5 Sanderling, taking my total to 4 lifers for the day.
A good day's birding apart from the rainy weather ...

Thought you were a fellow Ohioen for a minute.....

Mike

weather said:
Thought you were a fellow Ohioen for a minute.....

Mike

As in many of these matters, Weather, I think England came first i.e. your Cleveland may have been named after the one in the North East of England.

Mind you, I'm no authority on this subject as I am Irish.
Funny, when I read the report first, I thought you had written it as your name appeared beside the thread. I was about to add that all the birds mentioned could also be seen over here.

Been birding with Sam lately?

Regards,

Padraig.

Padraig said:
As in many of these matters, Weather, I think England came first i.e. your Cleveland may have been named after the one in the North East of England.

Mind you, I'm no authority on this subject as I am Irish.
Funny, when I read the report first, I thought you had written it as your name appeared beside the thread. I was about to add that all the birds mentioned could also be seen over here.

Been birding with Sam lately?

Regards,

Padraig.

Actually it was named after Grover Cleveland the founder. I don't know the dates.

Sam and I are headed out Monday to chase some birds around...

Mike

There is a small town nearby called philladelphia that was actually named after the American city, that must be unusual. It is just a couple of miles from Washington and that one did come first:mad:)

weather said:
Actually it was named after Grover Cleveland the founder. I don't know the dates.

Sam and I are headed out Monday to chase some birds around...

Mike

Well, what do you know? One thing, I suppose, that my knowledge of the founding fathers of Ohio isn't what it might be.
But at least I've heard of Grover Cleveland now.

Have a good time on Monday you two. Let's know what you see.

Regards,

Padraig.

What time...

Hello

What time were you all down in the Coatham Marsh / South Gare area - I was there with my birding friend Paul, we saw the Green Sandpiper at around 11am, and the dark phase Arctic Skua chasing Sandwich Terns from South Gare at around 12 until the rain started.

There was also a reasonable movement of Gannets in the area, often seen flying amongst the ships moored off the mouth of the Tees.

The night before I had Nightjar (Caprimulgus europaeus) in Hamsterley Forest, County Durham. 3-4 birds churring and one seen in flight at around 11pm. There is another guided walk for them this coming Friday - phone Hamsterley Forest visitor centre to book / more info (don't have the number to hand, it is on the forestry commission website).

Steve 'Plaxtonman'

Hello Jay and greetings from a fellow Teessider, sounds like you had a good day, congratulations on the lifers, might see you around sometime.

IanF said:
You had a good day out. I popped over to Coatham Marsh and South Gare myself this morning hoping for the Spoonbill but it didn't show. There was a Green Sandpiper though it was a bit too dull and windy for a decent shot.

I'd have gone onto Scaling Dam for the Osprey if the weather hadn't tunred a bit nasty - possibly one for tomorrow! Did you see it from the hide?

Yes Ian we seen the Osprey from the Hide then went out to have a better look, one of the Lads with us actually got the Osprey and the Great Egret together in his binoculars. but i missed it i dont know how its big enough .

plaxtonman said:
Hello

What time were you all down in the Coatham Marsh / South Gare area - I was there with my birding friend Paul, we saw the Green Sandpiper at around 11am, and the dark phase Arctic Skua chasing Sandwich Terns from South Gare at around 12 until the rain started.

There was also a reasonable movement of Gannets in the area, often seen flying amongst the ships moored off the mouth of the Tees.

The night before I had Nightjar (Caprimulgus europaeus) in Hamsterley Forest, County Durham. 3-4 birds churring and one seen in flight at around 11pm. There is another guided walk for them this coming Friday - phone Hamsterley Forest visitor centre to book / more info (don't have the number to hand, it is on the forestry commission website).

Steve 'Plaxtonman'

hello Steve we were around Coatham Marsh about 12 ish too, if im not mistaken did you ask one of the lads if the spoonbill was still about ,or have i got you mixed up with someone else? .

Were you there while the man was birding with his young son? Paul is tall, quite old, thin and clean shaven. I'm the opposite of all of those things! I think everyone we met asked about the Spoonbill, including us!

Steve

I was there around that time too. I called in at Coatham Marsh around 10.30 am and asked about the Spoonbill and had the Green Sandpiper pointed out to me. I then went to South Gare for about an hour and then back to Coatham Marsh for 20 mins until it came in really dull and the rain started.

Next time I'll wear my BF cap ;)

Hopefully next Friday I amy manage Hamsterly for the Nijghtjars - weather permitting.

My caps on order too!

I'll post the phone number for bookings at Hamsterley tomorrow. They will take your contact number and phone to cancel if weather adverse. Should have said it was definitely Woodcocksville up there, at least 20 sightings in a couple of hours. All birds were roading but none giving the grunting call.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back