• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Villavicencio, Colombia bird ID help please (1 Viewer)

Painted Turtle

A cavity nesting bird, seen in the mountains near Villavicencio, south east of Bogota. Probably colony nesters, by the number of holes in the tree, tho I only saw one pair. Size comparison, maybe blue jay-sized. Date was Feb. 6th, 2015.

I'm posting 3 photos, which I'm now not even sure are all the same birds, tho when watching them from a distance I thought they were. (the photo of the pair of birds shows chestnut patches on their cheeks, the others don't show this but it could be the lighting? ... or different birds?)

I've managed to identify the other birds I saw on the trip by searching online... I don't have a SA field guide, but I can't figure out these! Thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

• IMG_9395 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_9395 - Version 2.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9444 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_9444 - Version 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9406 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_9406 - Version 2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 60
Back up Neils, here - Black-crowned Tityras in all instances. Males (first two images) and females (third image).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back