• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory (SBBO) (1 Viewer)

James Armstrong

Flowerpot Man
Geraldine and I are members of The Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory Trust. (Registered Charity) President Bill Oddie.
We were made very welcome when we first visited as non-members and were given a guided tour of the place including the traps and ringing huts plus their library and natural history specimen collection including their pet red corn snake, Monty, who is very friendly. The centre is brand new (an example of lottery money going to a very worthy cause) and has great facilities for research, bird watching, tea-making and relaxation. They are always looking for volunteers for ringing especially this time of the year when they are very busy. Vehicle Access to the Private Sandwich Bay Estate is free if you are a SBBO member and are only going to the Observatory. You can park by the toll gate and walk a couple of hundred yards if you are a non-member and don't want to pay the toll (£5)

Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory Trust is supported by nearly 450 members. All members receive an Annual Report and regular newsletter updating them on the work of the Trust. There are regular meetings for members, such as our popular Thursday Club, Tuesday night birdwatching classes and the regular Sunday Birding walks (open to non-members), and they can visit the members' Backsand Scrape plus the new scrape near the centre which has an observation tower.

Members also benefit from reduced accommodation rates at the Field Study Centre, and receive discount on selected items from our shop. If you would like to join contact the secretary or go to the members section on the website www.sbbo.co.uk and download a membership application. Fees per annum are:-
Individual £15, Joint/family £20, Senior Citizen/unwaged £10, Junior £5

Phone: Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory Phone/Fax: 01304 617341
Email:
Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory
[email protected]
Site Contributions [email protected]
Information [email protected]
Post Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory SBBOT, Guilford Road, Sandwich, Kent CT13 9PF
Secretary, Mrs Gaynor Cross SBBOT, Guilford Road, Sandwich, Kent CT13 9PF.
See:- www.sbbo.co.uk

The following info is from the web site, the latest sightings sections of which is always well-updated and fascinating to read...

ASPECTS OF SANDWICH BAY
AND THE OBSERVATORY

Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory is situated on the Kent Coast between the estuary of the River Stour and the town of Deal to the south; it lies south-east of the historic town and Cinque Port of Sandwich and only 40 km from the continental coastline.

SBBOT operates within a private estate, on adjacent farmland, nature reserve and golf course by courtesy of the landowners. The Observatory is a recognised charitable trust and is managed by a Council elected by an Annual General Meeting. The work of the Observatory relies upon the voluntary assistance of its members and the contributions made available by a large number of visiting birdwatchers, many of whom take advantage of the hostel accommodation. The Council considers all applications made to it for membership of the Trust, welcoming any who would like to contribute to its work in a practical or supporting way. The Observatory produces several newsletters each year and summarises its work in a comprehensive Annual Report which is sent to all full members.

The records of SBBOT may also be seen by arrangement with the Secretary. Bird Ringing is carried out by accredited personnel under licence according to the rules of the British Trust for Ornithology, from whom all rings and nets are purchased. The BTO notifies the finder and the ringer, of all details of ringed birds found and reported to them. Training facilities may be offered to those wishing to become ringers

The main work of the Observatory is to watch, record and ring, the birds of Sandwich Bay, with the object of relating local distribution and bird movements to a national perspective, whilst monitoring the effects of inevitable changes in the environment. It can also provide valuable data in support of measures for the conservation of threatened areas.It aims also to encourage a better appreciation of our heritage and to provide instruction and example for its future.

Migrant birds in spring and autumn form the majority of an average total of 10,000 birds ringed each year, this being especially true of the autumn when in right conditions, birds seem to be in every bush. In late autumn, excitement is centred on the large number of wintering birds watched coming in from the continent and the anticipation of late rarities from as far afield as Siberia. Winter brings the estuary into focus with its populations of wading birds, its ducks and seabirds, together with flocks of Snow Bunting and Twite.

Spring is the time for the departure of winter species, the return of summer migrants and the beginning of yet another breeding season.

SBBO Reserves:-

Monks' Wall Nature Reserve

Monks' Wall Nature Reserve a 5 minute walk across the bridge from the quay in Sandwich and is ideal for seeing wild duck and other wildlife in a wetland habitat.

This reserve recreates, from arable fields, traditional wet grazing meadows once common to the flood plain of the River Stour.

The habitat attracts large numbers of wintering wildfowl and waders from the arctic that find sanctuary in the reserve, while breeding waterfowl and other wetland species occur in the summer. Historically the land was reclaimed from the river and sea by the monks of Sandwich and the northern boundary is still the old Monks' wall of the 13th Century,. In the 1953 floods the sea covered the whole area round Sandwich and after these fields were drained a new river bank was created and the land ploughed for arable farming with heavy use of fertiliser.

Despite this disaster the ditches still have a number of interesting plants with great potential for improvement. Sandwich Town Council was leased the land by Pfizer Ltd in 1955 as a nature reserve under a management agreement also involving Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory Trust.

The reserve was opened by Bill Oddie in May 2000. Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory Trust proposed the design and a Management plan including modifications to ditches and control of water levels to create ecological conditions that attract wetland species of plants, animals and birds.

SBBOT continues the day to-day management with financial support from the MAFF Countryside Stewardship Scheme, Pfizer Ltd and Sandwich Town Council. The farm management is by traditional, wildlife friendly methods of cattle grazing.

Restharrow Dunes Nature Reserve

This 26-acre site is owned by the Trust. It is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and mainly ancient dune meadow managed by winter grazing. There is a stand of mature Elm and a triangle of planted trees known as the Elms Extension. Three gullies, associated with the ancient Haven Cut are fenced and managed separately. The Big Gully has been a traditional ringing site for some 50 years and hosted one of the original Heligoland Traps, as did the Little Gully. The latter site has many botanical and entomological interests including Twayblade, Southern Marsh Orchid, Adder’s Tongue Fern and Marsh Helliborine

The Dune Willow, a dwarf tree, is found in only two other locations in Britain and hosts the miniscule moth Stigmela repentiella, so small that it tunnels between the upper and lower surfaces of Dune Willow leaf. The Little Gully was also the site of the very first Observatory building – a pantechnicon used as a ringing room. The Waldershare Gully has been fenced and planted primarily as a ringing site. The majority of Sandwich Bay’s rare birds have been found on this Reserve including Red-flanked Bluetail, Radde’s and Great Reed Warblers, Woodchat Shrike, Red-rumped Swallow, Little Bunting and Penduline Tit.

Backsand Scrape

An area leased by the Observatory from Mr. Hulme and constructed using funds from a legacy from Mrs.Hyatt. Deep and shallow water surround three islands, one small, round and easily Accessible to wildfowl, one large, square and safer for nesting and the other star-shaped and covered in pea shingle for nesting. It is surrounded by a ten-metre apron and an outside bank. There are two observation hides – the Shirlaw Hide to the north and Geoff’s Hide on the south side. One particularly successful aspect is the breeding bird population. Up to three pairs of Dabchick, Reed Warbler, Meadow Pipit, Coot, Moorhen and Tufted Duck and single pairs of Little Ringed Plover, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Greylag and Canada Geese, Mallard, Sedge Warbler, Gadwall and Mute Swan. Many rare waders have been found here including Baird’s, Pectoral and Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and Red-necked Phalarope. This scrape is used by particularly large numbers of Common and Green Sandpipers, Redshank, Lapwing and Greenshank as a safe refuge at high tides. It is an excellent site to get close views of some hard-to-watch species of wader.

The new scrape near the Observatory is very small but has wheelchair access. Small numbers of waders come down but also non-waders e.g. turtle doves, stock doves, linnets use it as a drinking hole in summer. Geraldine and I have had a few ticks there.

:t:

james

Thanks very much Robin. We try to get over there as much as we can but must go to more of the meetings. The next Sunday Club Outdoor meeting is this Sunday (21st September) 'Migrant birds around the Estate' meeting at the Centre at 9.00. Non-members welcome, no fee. We hope to be there. If any bfers can make it that would be great.
:t:
james

Maybe see you there some time, but next Sunday I shall be in Canterbury for the last county cricket of the season.

We hope to be there too (at least for some of the time) - you will recognise us as we are likely to have a toddler in tow. I go to the Tuesday evening club for beginners which is good fun and very informative.

As you say everyone down there is really friendly and you are made to feel very welcome.

Hi Robin,

Hope you enjoy your day. Looking forward to meeting you at Elmley next month.

Hi Iain,

Very nice to hear from another Bay member. Hope to meet you on Sunday. I'll be with Geraldine who has an RSPB hat covered in bird badges. I might wear my BF cap except I haven't quite got used to it yet - might try it back to front for extra coolness...

Hi Grousemoor,

Glad you found it interesting - might see you there one day. In the meantime looking forward to hopefully making your acquaintance at Elmley next month.

james

Last edited:
Hi,

Went down the "the bay" today to see the Deaths Head Hawkmoth that they trapped there overnight. It will also be on view tomorrow before release tomorrow evening. It was, as you can see, superb. The staff there were very helpful, as always, in letting me see and photograph the moth and in keeping my 3 y.o. son entertained with Monty the snake while I photographed the moth. Not a very good photo - no doubt better ones on the obs web site.
Also thanks to the staff there for publicising their find!

Ivan

Attachments

• dscn2996 copy (medium).jpg
    dscn2996 copy (medium).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 466
Amazing photo. You're being too modest Ivan. We'll pop over there tomorrow to see it. Geraldine's always wanted to see one. Usually a spring visitor isn't it. And it squeaks? Did you hear it squeaking?

james

Yes - briefly. Although it nearly had the chance to do a big squeek when my son though "it needed" a pebble in his jar. Luckily Kevin spotted him in time and prevented that disaster!

Yippee! Saw the Moth! I'll report it in the right thread. Yippee! Out of all the people in Kent today, I am one of the very few who has seen a Death's head Hawk Moth! o:D

Famous Five go Mad in Sandwich Bay: All four chapters in one!
Sun 21st September 2003

Geraldine and I had a great day today. We met Dave G, his partner Sam and son Jamie at the Observatory(which they hadn't visited before) at 8.a.m. to find them already in the hut watching the ringing (which starts at dawn!)
Birds ringed were a Reed Warbler, several Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps male and female and a Robin. The ringers explained everything they did to us and another couple of people in there. Jamie (age 4) was shown how to hold the birds correctly (by the neck) and then given a blackcap and a chiffchaff to hold and release to continue on their migration. He did some drawings later and the staff put them up on the noticeboard of the observatory which really pleased him! The staff also showed him Monty, the Red Corn Snake, which he was also allowed to hold.
During the ringing more and more people turned up ready for the guided walk at 9 a.m. including IainC (another BF member!) and his family. At 9 we set off across part of the reserve called 'the Oasis' towards the sea. Although there wasn't as much about as they were hoping for (because of the fine weather which encouraged the migrants to keep flying rather than stop for a rest) we did see quite an impressive number of birds given the conditions.
On the short walk to the shore we saw 4 curlews feeding in the fields, a whinchat and a kestrel. One of the ringers then caught us up to show us a Great green bush cricket (not sure if I've remembered its name properly) and a great tit and blue tit they'd caught.
From the shore we saw an Eider duck a few hundred yards out to sea (a tick for lots of people including me!), several sandwich terns flying south and close inshore Dave spotted a guillemot - sadly on closer inspection we could see that it had been oiled (probably by ships emptying their tanks - lots of swear words would now follow directed towards these ******* ******** if the BF censor permitted it but as it doesn't I've just put the correct number of asterisks to save it the trouble)
A house martin in its nest was seen by Geraldine on a nearby house who also saw lots of yellow horned poppys growing on the beach. We've seen these at Dungeness as well.
Just before we turned back inland we saw several flocks of linnets zipping around and a couple of wheatears. We walked back through the 'Little Gully' where we saw several specimens of Dune willow (also known as Dwarf, Creeping or Black Willow) endemic to the reserve - several migrating blackbirds were present here - and an area overgrown with Sea Buckthorn which has to be managed by pulling up by hand because if cut down it releases phosphates into the soil thereby enriching it and changing the habitat which is based on a poor soil.
We then moved on to the 'Big Gully' an area of woodland normally teeming with resting migrants but very quiet today.
Saw a couple of kestrels above the trees. Then on to the New Scrape where a lot of redigging and landscaping is in progress plus a wheelchair-friendly path to the hide from the road. Here things got a bit more exciting. Apart from lots of linnets and pippets on the scrape which isn't that exciting suddenly a sparrowhawk flew over pursued by three very angry crows who were mobbing it very determinedly and making lots of physical contact! Then as I was talking to Dave and Sam about the Pipit we saw at Cliffe Pools last week which we think might have been a water or rock pipit ( do you get water pipits this time of the year or only in the winter?) everybody else thirsty for tea and hungry for lunch disappeared around the corner just as A GREAT EGRET flew along the shore! :D Another tick! Quite a big one actually. We knew it wasn't a Little Egret because it had black not yellow feet and a yellow not a black bill and was as large as a grey heron. We later found one had been sighted in Pegwell bay the week before.
On that very cheerful note we went back to the Obs for lunch.
I must at this point give Dave 'Eagle Eyes' G the credit for spotting the Great Egret. During lunch a common lizard ran across the patio where we were eating our packed lunch al fresco. Then just as we finished the hard-working ringers struggled back with yet more birds to ring: Reed warbler again, Blackcap male and female again (not the same ones!), more blue tits, great tits and sparrows and a couple of really interesting ones. Firstly a lesser whitethroat - a really beautiful bird and great to see one that close up to help with future iding. I've yet to properly differentiate between lesser and greater!The white was dazzling! Then a willow warbler - lovely bird. Much yellower than a chiffchaff, and much yellower than the one in my Collin's guide. The supercilium on this one was very yellow and much yellower than that on a chiffchaff. Yellow is really the keyword here...
The ringers were unable to decide whether it was an adult or juv. The tail was like that of an adult but the streaked underparts were like that of a juv. So the ringer applied the final test, licking his fingers he gave the bird a smart central parting on its head to get a good look at its cerebellum. Pinkish meant the skull at this point had not yet fully ossified otherwise it would have been white. It was pinkish - a juv!
Then Geraldine's favourite part of the day as she has not ceased to tell me since it happened - she asked and was allowed to hold and release the willow warbler. She had to hold it by its head and not the legs in case she hurt them. She has now volunteered us to go back there for 6.30 am this Friday to help with more ringing! :-C
The obs staff then opened two very large moth traps and started iding the hundred of specimens therein in an impressively knowledgeable way considering how many species of moth there are altogether in the country. Only one or two needed recourse to the book. For somebody not very well up on moths it was an amazing education. Dave who has his own home-made moth trap back up in Cliffe particularly enjoyed this bit of the day. I found the names so poetic, Lunar Underwings, Vestal, September Thorn, and one called a something Hebrew Characters. We are now going to get a big moth book because few of these are in our little Observers Book of Larger British Moths!
The mothing went on for an hour or more and was still going strong when we decided to go for a swim in the sea as the final part of our adventure.
The swim was great but we also saw the Eider again - in flight this time, more Sandwich Terns, loads of Common Gulls - a bird we had hitherto had not really studied in as much depth as we now did - eventually getting the differences between Black-Headed Gull in winter plumage, Herring Gull and Common Gull in flight nicely pinpointed. Flocks of ringed plovers flashed by out to sea. Finally to round this account off with a little bit of magic - a common seal put in a couple of appearances close offshore popping up to inspect us. We didn't catch any smugglers but there was lashings of ginger beer!
B :)

james

Now that is what I call a refreshing and interesting thread, thank you James I enjoyed reading that, only I've been trying to keep up with all things and I know Geraldine has been egging me to read all the threads, but with everything I finally got round to it today, and absolutely delightful, thank you. Nina.

Visted the Sandwich Bay Bird Observatory a couple of weeks back.Excellent venue I might add.
Tested a few pairs of bins as well,just need to start saving the ££££'s now.

Sbbot

Hi All, we visited SBBOT as part of a KOS day out organised by John C last year. Joined on the spot, after watching ringing and being shown around including the traps (afternoon highlight being the Raddes Warbler):t:. We have sinced participated in the Saturday Gull course (presented by Peter), a Sunday walk to Worth Marsh (guide Dave - didn't see the Great White Egret|:(|, but nice views of a male Marsh Harrier and on our own after lunch B :) at the scrape great views of a Merlin chasing a Pied Wag):flyaway:. Also a Thursday club presentation on Fungi and I have attended a number of Wednesday club evenings (presented by Peter):t:. We have found everyone we have met there to be very friendly, helpful, obviously enjoying their hobby ('scuse the pun!) and willing to pass on their knowledge to those of us "less fortunates". :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back