• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian Hummingbird Migration (1 Viewer)

Jacamar

If anyone is interested in tracking the Ruby-throated Hummingbird Migration in Australia, this handy map should be a great tool. ;)

It took me a few moments to figure out the purpose of this map, until I realized today's date.

Attachments

• Capture5-20-06-8.25.13 PM4-1-2007-7.35.48 AM4-1-2007-7.41.24 AM.jpg
    Capture5-20-06-8.25.13 PM4-1-2007-7.35.48 AM4-1-2007-7.41.24 AM.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 525
This was new to me. I never thought to find Hummers in Australia.
When were they introduced?

I am always surprised to discover how little overseas birders know about Australia. I get a bit tired of it sometimes. Fair dinkum, people seem to expect to see Red Kangaroos hopping down Bourke Street, dodging the trams and slipping into Young and Jackson's for a quick beer. But I'm off-topic. back to hummingbirds.

Like so many other northern hemisphere creatures, Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were introduced to Australia in the mid 19th century, initially around the Sydney area, but with secondary introductions in Queensland and (for reasons that escape me entirely) near Hobart. The NSW and Qld introductions were successful, the Tasmanian one obviously failed (far too cold down there).

Since that time hummers have spread rapidly, reaching the Murray River around 1880, spreading into South Australia just before the turn of the century, and first being reported from the hills outside Perth immediately after the First World War.

As introductions go, hummers are middle of the range, having proved neither as harmful as the Red Fox, the European Rabbit, and the Common Starling, nor as benign as the Spotted Turtle-dove and the Goldfinch. Although common, they cause little damage to crops, and do not compete with native birds for nesting sites. The main problem resulting from their introduction has been the impact on the threatened Australian Bustard, which seems not to have adapted well to predation by the large flocks of hungry migrating Ruby-throats. An active captive breeding program, coupled with reintroduction of the bustard to reserves with hummer-proof fencing seems to be dealing with the issue.

Nice one Tannin! ;) Are they all from the introduced stock, or do some of them get blown off course and arrive naturally?

Regards

Ken

The Queensland situation is clearly different to that pertaining in Ballarat.

Here we have plenty of b-stards but I've never seen a hummer.

If anyone is interested in tracking the Ruby-throated Hummingbird Migration in Australia, this handy map should be a great tool. ;)

It took me a few moments to figure out the purpose of this map, until I realized today's date.
Thanks for the laugh; I almost fell for it. Funnily, before I stumbled on this page, I was reading this post: Are There Hummingbirds in Australia? The Mystery of Hummingbirds in Australia. So, I kind of already knew that hummingbirds don't migrate to or from Australia. It's always interesting to come across these little surprises! Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back