• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which spotting scope? (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello,
I'm thinking of completing my gear with a spotting scope, to be used for ID activities, or when I'm not photographing or just when there are no subjects at close range ;)
Simple question: which spotting scope would you suggest as a compromise between quality AND price?
PS I'm not going to do any digiscoping or possessing the best scope around, just having some useful magnification at hand
Thank you
Max

Hello,
I'm thinking of completing my gear with a spotting scope, to be used for ID activities, or when I'm not photographing or just when there are no subjects at close range ;)
Simple question: which spotting scope would you suggest as a compromise between quality AND price?
PS I'm not going to do any digiscoping or possessing the best scope around, just having some useful magnification at hand
Thank you
Max

the Nikon ed50 ?! its small and light and so would be handy if you want to carry your camera as well.

For what you want to do (ID distance birds) the ED 50 would be an excellent choice as mentioned above or something like the opticron ES 80 ED with zoom, but it comes down to personal preference, ie what feels best for you.

Your query is like how long is a piece of string, quite difficult to give you ideas without knowing your budget. Best advice is get to an Optics shop and try a few out, find the one that suits you best that is within your budget.

Hello,
Thank you
Max
The ED50 would have to be on my list when comparing scopes on quality and price.

Regards and let us know what you choose.

John

Your query is like how long is a piece of string, quite difficult to give you ideas without knowing your budget. Best advice is get to an Optics shop and try a few out, find the one that suits you best that is within your budget.

Well, you are right Robert, I still have to clear my mind and define better what my needs are.
It's a "casual use" scope I need, something I can carry along in my rucksack .. budget, as usual, is very restricted :cool: so I was looking at items like Opticron Piccolo, or Bushnell Compact Sentry (neither available in a local shop in my area), so I'm afraid I should buy it "blind", that's why I need some experienced advice and I'm seeking it here :brains:
Any comments on the quoted scopes, any other advice?
Thank you,
Max

Well, you are right Robert, I still have to clear my mind and define better what my needs are.
It's a "casual use" scope I need, something I can carry along in my rucksack .. budget, as usual, is very restricted :cool: so I was looking at items like Opticron Piccolo, or Bushnell Compact Sentry (neither available in a local shop in my area), so I'm afraid I should buy it "blind", that's why I need some experienced advice and I'm seeking it here :brains:
Any comments on the quoted scopes, any other advice?
Thank you,
Max

Have you considered the Opticron MM2 or IS50/IS60? The advantage of the latter two is that, if you can afford a good eyepiece such as one from the HDF range, it will be transferable if you decided to upgrade the body later.

Ron

Well if it is for casual use look at the smaller scopes, ED50, small Zeiss, Leica and Swaro. Don't overlook the small Kowas either, value wise though have a look at the Opticron mated to the HDF or SDL eyepiece.

Hi Max does the bushnell model looks any thing like this one. This is a sentry 18-36x50mm i dont know how old this one is but i wouldnt recomend it !! It wont focus below twelve meters and gathers light poorly there are a lot beter choices out there. If the price of nikon puts you off then opticron is a great place to go look about.
good luck

Attachments

• bushnal scope.jpg
    bushnal scope.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 132
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back