Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 03:34   #1
HeadWest

New Zeiss Conquest HD - Focus Wheel Issue

Hi,

I just received a new pair of Conquest HD 8x42 bins from B&H Photo. I am very pleased with the optics. Beautiful! However, the focus wheel's action is kind of sticky or jerky, and it has a bit of play in either direction. This is very obvious when I compare to my Terra EDs, which have an excellent silky-smooth focus. I suppose I would expect that the Conquests would match or exceed this aspect of the Terras given the price increase.

Any ideas on what I should do? Has anyone had any luck with replacing through B&H, or getting Zeiss to fix? Ideally I wont have to wait several weeks for the fix.

Thanks for any advice.
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 04:29   #2
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Hi,

I just received a new pair of Conquest HD 8x42 bins from B&H Photo. I am very pleased with the optics. Beautiful! However, the focus wheel's action is kind of sticky or jerky, and it has a bit of play in either direction. This is very obvious when I compare to my Terra EDs, which have an excellent silky-smooth focus. I suppose I would expect that the Conquests would match or exceed this aspect of the Terras given the price increase.

Any ideas on what I should do? Has anyone had any luck with replacing through B&H, or getting Zeiss to fix? Ideally I wont have to wait several weeks for the fix.

Thanks for any advice.
I've had a few Conquest HDs. Still have a 10X42 and a 8x32. I have to say the focus adjustment has been very smooth on all of them. There really shouldn't be any "play' in the focus. If they aren't as smooth as the Terre EDs I'd probably try to send them back. Why don't you call or email B&H, explain your situation, and see if they will swap them for another pair? That's plan #1....let's see how that goes.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 06:06   #3
peatmoss

My 8x32 Conquest HD's have always had a tiny amount of play in the focuser, but it was a demo, so I figured the play came from heavy use. It never really bothered me so I just use it that way. However, the sticky/jerky focuser is more disturbing. Mine is silky smooth. I'd return it, either to B&H or to Zeiss. I've returned things to B&H, and in my experience they are pretty easy to deal with. Zeiss should also be able to take care of this problem, but I don't know what their lead time is for a Conquest HD.
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 08:22   #4
Troubador

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for any advice.
Every Conquest I have tried including my own 8x32 has had a really smooth focus action. Yours is wrong straight out of the box so I would regard this as having been sold a product that is faulty and not fit for its purpose and would therefore reject it and send it back to the supplier and ask them to send you one that they have checked out. This is not a warranty fault that has appeared after some years, so I wouldn't think about involving Zeiss, let the supplier take that on.

Lee
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 15:10   #5
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Mine have been silky smooth for the most part. At one time, they did become somewhat jerky so I ran a piece of dental floss through the opening and around the central post - this pulled out quite a bit of crud and returned the focus to perfect once again.

Might try that. Play, however, should never be present.
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 21:19   #6
wdc

I have a pair of the 8x42, and it is one of the smoothest focussing binoculars I own. (Great optics too!) I'd send it back.

-B.
Old Thursday 18th January 2018, 21:50   #7
HeadWest

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm sending them back to the retailer and will get another pair.
Old Friday 26th January 2018, 03:13   #8
gunut
Registered Offender

keep us informed on what happens.....
Old Tuesday 6th February 2018, 04:49   #9
HeadWest

Just a follow up here. B&H swapped out the faulty bins for a new pair, which arrived today. Focus wheel much better (though still not as pristinely smooth as the Terras..). Thanks for the tips everyone.
Old Tuesday 6th February 2018, 14:29   #10
dries1

The optics should be much better though with the Conquest though.

A.W.
Old Thursday 8th February 2018, 04:29   #11
HeadWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
The optics should be much better though with the Conquest though.

A.W.
The optics are indeed much better. Excellent all around in that department. I think I'll just get used to the new focus wheel. There is just the slightest amount of "play" or slack when changing directions of the focus, which I don't like. The Conquest also requires more rotation of the focus wheel to get from close focus to infinity. In that regard, they focus less quickly than the Terras. I think I'll get used to this too.

Last edited by HeadWest : Thursday 8th February 2018 at 04:37.
Old Thursday 8th February 2018, 17:58   #12
dries1

Headwest,

Keep an eye on the focus wheel, if it does not suit you send them back, (you have 30 days) after all it is a purchase with your $$$. If they send you another one with the same problem, I would look else where. I have eliminated some on-line vendors because of this.

A.W.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2018, 05:47   #13
HeadWest

Update here just in case anyone is interested. After a couple uses, it became clear that the focus wheel on the second pair was just about as bad as the first. I wonder if it's a bad batch of the model or something. Pair that with ergonomics that don't work well for me (a lot of blackouts/kidney beaning) and I'm going to see if I can send this pair back too, and will probably go with a different make/model (probably Trinovids). Unfortunately, I don't live near any optics shops, and so have to do this all online without being able to try them out. It's too bad, because the optics on these bins are fantastic.
Old Tuesday 13th February 2018, 17:14   #14
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Update here just in case anyone is interested. After a couple uses, it became clear that the focus wheel on the second pair was just about as bad as the first. I wonder if it's a bad batch of the model or something. Pair that with ergonomics that don't work well for me (a lot of blackouts/kidney beaning) and I'm going to see if I can send this pair back too, and will probably go with a different make/model (probably Trinovids). Unfortunately, I don't live near any optics shops, and so have to do this all online without being able to try them out. It's too bad, because the optics on these bins are fantastic.
I have to say that's odd! I would think and hope this is just a bad lot. I've bought three, 2 42mms and one 32mm and the focus has been a non-issue for me. One of those was a gift and she has used the CRAP out of it(a naturalist). Her focus is PERFECT after over a year of very frequent use.

Don't know about returning to your retailer. They prob have a window where yes they will or no they won't. If you can, probably your best option is to do that.

Returning to Zeiss....it will take probably 2 to 3 months. So....

Since you are having blackouts/kidney beaning with the Conquest HDs....I probably wouldn't try the Trinovid HDs....they have long eye relief too and will probably have more of the same..

Why not try the Maven B.1 8X42 or B.2 9X45 in the same price range(EZ returns too!) OR go all in on a Swarovski SLC or Leica UV HD+....

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 14th February 2018, 00:48   #15
HeadWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
I have to say that's odd! I would think and hope this is just a bad lot. I've bought three, 2 42mms and one 32mm and the focus has been a non-issue for me. One of those was a gift and she has used the CRAP out of it(a naturalist). Her focus is PERFECT after over a year of very frequent use.

Don't know about returning to your retailer. They prob have a window where yes they will or no they won't. If you can, probably your best option is to do that.

Returning to Zeiss....it will take probably 2 to 3 months. So....

Since you are having blackouts/kidney beaning with the Conquest HDs....I probably wouldn't try the Trinovid HDs....they have long eye relief too and will probably have more of the same..

Why not try the Maven B.1 8X42 or B.2 9X45 in the same price range(EZ returns too!) OR go all in on a Swarovski SLC or Leica UV HD+....
I agree it's odd. Especially when my own Terras have a perfect focus knob (as well as my Monarch 5s). I have to believe it's a bad lot or something. But it's definitely sticky/jerky. The retailer is willing to take them back, so I am sending them in. I've decided to give the Conquests one more go. I found out that the ER issue is a common one for these binoculars, and so Zeiss will (I've read) send me longer-extending eyecups for free. Now I just hope the focus wheel is good, and it may just work out. Buying the Conquests was the result of a reading a lot of reviews, so I'd really like them to work out.

Re: avoiding the Trinovids because they also have long ER. This is a good point, but I was thinking it more as issue of the eyecups not extending far enough than of the ER being too long.

I'd love to go all out on an SLC or UV HD+, but my wife doesn't share my opinion unfortunately.
Old Monday 19th February 2018, 18:03   #16
Chris223

I ve just received a 10X32 conquest and it has this very small amount of free play in the focus wheel...
Except that the glass is very nice, but too much black out for me (mostly due to 10 magnification i think).
Old Monday 19th February 2018, 23:13   #17
NDhunter

You guys have certainly had some bad luck with the Conquest as far as I can see. I have had
several Conquests from the 10x42 to the 15x56, and the focusers on all 4 have been as smooth
as silk with no backlash.

I suppose we can ring this up to being an outlier, a lemon type of thing.

There have been very few complaints on this forum, if any.

I am fussy about focusers, any slack is a big problem to me.

Certainly less focuser complaints than some of the alpha models.

Jerry
Old Monday 19th February 2018, 23:18   #18
dries1

Makes me wonder if the buyers of some of these models on some of these websites are buying duds for a discount.

A.W.
Old Monday 19th February 2018, 23:20   #19
HeadWest

Quote:
Makes me wonder if the buyers of some of these models on some of these websites are buying duds for a discount.

A.W.
Paid full price retail for a brand new pair. I'm hoping it is just bad luck, or a bad lot or whatever.
Old Monday 19th February 2018, 23:55   #20
dries1

You are probably right, it could be a bad batch. The question is, how many to go through before trying another vendor.

A.W.
Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 09:19   #21
Chris223

I will return it only because i think 10X is better on a 42MM for eye placement (definitevely i can have a better resolution with the 10x and don't feel the very little bit shakier view to be a problem).

I felt the dead point on the wheel probably because i ve ridden it on this board
it is extremely minimal and appears only at the end of the focus range.

If it is a "bad" batch it is a hudge one as it appears that some guys bought the bino in the US and i bought it in Europe.
Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 01:21   #22
HeadWest

Quote:
You are probably right, it could be a bad batch. The question is, how many to go through before trying another vendor.

A.W.
My thoughts exactly. If I get another bad focus wheel, I will probably go elsewhere. My initial instinct was to go with another set of bins, but so many of you have said you have this pair with an excellent focus wheel that it makes me optimistic that I can get the same. Though this is a lot harder than it should be...
Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 12:13   #23
Chris223

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. If I get another bad focus wheel, I will probably go elsewhere. My initial instinct was to go with another set of bins, but so many of you have said you have this pair with an excellent focus wheel that it makes me optimistic that I can get the same. Though this is a lot harder than it should be...

I think this is not a question of vendor, as we did not buy it in the same place and different continent !
Old Wednesday 21st February 2018, 13:03   #24
dries1

I am speaking about the US problems only.

A.W.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: