• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thrush I.D. needed (1 Viewer)

Muskrat

Resident Rodent
I saw this Thrush while out walking...I never heard it call as it was actively feeding. I usually see and hear Wood Thrushes all of the time, but this bird was much more brown colored, than reddish and slightly smaller in size. Do you think it could be a Hermit Thrush? It was in the dense woods (mixed hardwoods and hemlock) on top of a mountain in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Muskrat

Attachments

• {Q-E}T3286 Thrush.jpg
    {Q-E}T3286 Thrush.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 221
Being a Brit who only knows your thrushes as adults, I'm not sure, but those breast spots look mighty big. Would Hermit Thrush ever show such big ones? With that nice white eye-ring and those rather mealy-looking ear coverts I'm wondering about juvenile Wood Thrush. If the juveniles are less rufous than the adults (are they?), then I reckon that's your boy (or gal).

Muskrat said:
I saw this Thrush while out walking...I never heard it call as it was actively feeding. I usually see and hear Wood Thrushes all of the time, but this bird was much more brown colored, than reddish and slightly smaller in size. Do you think it could be a Hermit Thrush? It was in the dense woods (mixed hardwoods and hemlock) on top of a mountain in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Muskrat
Hi
Looks like a Hermit Thrush to me

This pic just goes to show me that these birds are probably easier to distinguish in the field - but in my opinion the bird seems to have a more rufous tail than back/head (not rufous at all to me) and a brown wash on the flanks instead of the spotted markings stretching further back as I would expect to see - indicating a hermit instead of wood thrush - also the tail looks too forked for wood thrush. I assume you didn't see it doing the typical hermit tail dropping thing. the hermit would also be marginally smaller than the wood thrush so that also ties in.

I should have been more observant at the time (live and learn)...I just assumed Wood Thrush as I hear them every evening and morning in our woods....however, this bird was seen about 20 miles from my house and higher in elevation. I checked the Bird Data base and still haven't come to a conclusion. I've e-mailed the picture and location to a friend who is involved in the Pennsylvania Ornithology Society for some help also. I know he has done some census in that area and might have data to assist. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all of the quick input...you make good arguments for both!!!
Muskrat

I just got a message back from the Pa. Ornithologist and he identifies it as a Hermit Thrush. In fact, he was on the same mountain, within a few miles of me, today also. He heard and saw several Hermits in his location.
Well, it's a first for me and that's exciting!!! Thanks for your help to all who replied. This is a fun part of the forums!!!!
Muskrat

Bit late coming to the thread, but my feeling was Hermit as well. Wood Thrush should have more boldly marked ear coverts, on this bird, they're fairly plain brown. Also on Wood Thrush, the spots should go all the way down the flanks to by the legs, not stopping on the mid-flanks as here.

As to age - it is carrying food, which strongly suggests an adult with a nestful of hungry chicks nearby. Not absolute proof, but pretty nearly so.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back