• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live seawatching webcam (1 Viewer)

We need the wind to become more Westerly (left to right) - too close to north at the moment - then sea birds take more time to pass through!

17. Gannet

(Arctic tern, manxie and Fulmar were probably visible if anyone was watching)

I'm only counting birds I see on the web feed.

Turned on for the day. Now with sound! The occasional pipping is my smoke detector complaining about its battery being flat. Not much happening for now

Your smoke detector is really loud! I just had a tractor go by, with a trailer behind it with a couple of blokes in flourescent overalls. That was about as exciting as it got.

Its picking up sound in the front and back gardens... which might give me a problem if I hear a Yellow-browed in a week or two. Its looking at HE3 again..though visibility is shocking. I can tell if its worth having an evening seawatch from here.

There have been two YLGs most days. Its hellishly hard to pinpoint birds with the camera ( its actually 240x mags)

I was trying to make this one an argentatus 4th cal..... didn't make the mistake of seeing it in the field - this is a screen grab

Attachments

• argentatus.jpg
    argentatus.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I'm away on Monday... but I need my laptop, so unless I can rig up a replacement... which is not impossible.... and I can find the right bit of beach depth wise, it will be a matter of luck.

If it really blows I get them in the garden... but one leaf of the buckthorn fill the field of view. I do have a wide angle B&W cam that might work

Jane,

I think you have the very early prototype of an idea that I've had for a few years now. Instead of a window you have an LED screen, instead of one view out of a window you chose a feed that fills the screen.

Birding options I've thought of one of the scrapes at minsmere, out the window at Radipole RSPB centre, a lagoon at cley, strumble coast guard look out.

People living in Torquay could view "Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the serengeti"

No more needing to pay lots of money for a room with a view or in fact travel costs and associated nasty carbon footprints to go birding.

For twitching a select few twitchers could go after individual birds, film the bird through their scope, immediately uploading the image so that others could see the bird and tick it without leaving home. This is exactly the same principle as when one birder gets the bird in their scope and another birder comes along looks down scope and sees bird. If you can tick in these circumstances why not an electronic version? The stay at homes pay the twitchers and every-body is happy.

Any-one care to go into business with me?

John

John.... count me in....I really need a Zeiss photoscope thing.... because if you have watched me trying to find a bird on the beach, its excruciating! I have about the same size view though my scope(with much better resolution) with about 40x the field of view. I need sheets of paper under the tripod legs to get elevation right. Using the tilt arm with the lag on the camera is shocking.... but I think I am getting better slowly.

I really need one of those improbable CSI cameras where they touch a wide angle view and zoom in to 3000xwith perfect resolution. The broadcasting loses a lot of the quality too.

Fancy my chances when there are 60K Knot in a close pack

Not up with CSI I'm afraid, I'm back in the old days of the Wire (just finished series 3). The guys there are amazed by the "simplest" of what were then amazing technological advances.

Technology changes so quickly that it is only a matter of time before the requisite equipment exists.

Imagine getting some-thing onto your self found list working a patch only to discover that some-one hundreds of miles away saw it first.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back