• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Project Zeiss Deltrintem 8x30 (1 Viewer)

trancework

Just stripped them down and it took 2 days, very dirty and everything was so tight.
e61e1490e37f8bbb75ae88eefa0602b1.jpg

Hello Trancework,

Quite a project, but you are working on a highly prized binocular.

Good luck,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

This is a bit of a long shot, but I have a pair of Deltrintems from around 1968, as in the picture above. there is a pin at the bottom of the central hinge which holds on the disc on which the serial number is written, and this pin has come loose and hangs down by around 1.5 cm. I can push it back in - there doesn't seem to be a thread on the end inside the hinge - but it will eventually drop down again. It doesn't seem to want to come right out, either. I've been searching for a parts diagram or similar to work out (a) what it is, and (b) whether the binos will need to be stripped down to fix it.
I don't suppose anyone has come across this particular problem before? I'm keen to sort it as these are probably the best and most practical binoculars I've ever owned.

Hi,

The pin you refer to is a type of rivet holding the disc in place.

When the binocular was manufactured it expanded as it was pushed in to the bottom of the hinge and was a tight fit.

Once they have been removed for service (or some other reason) they never fit tight again. There is no screw thread on it and with a little bit of force it will pull straight out.

The only way to get a tight fit again is either adhesive or spreading the rivet somehow before re-inserting it.

Gary

Gary, that makes total sense! I'll try some light adhesive or similar, maybe a bit of thread lock, see if I can't keep it in place. Really appreciate that info - I was concerned about losing the disc with the serial number. I've owned dozens of binoculars over the years, but I keep coming back to these ones for sheer practicality and quality. Thanks so much.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back