• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does Amer. Black Duck have any white in tail? (1 Viewer)

A2GG

Beth
United States
I believe I saw 2 male eclipse mallards today, however while one was preening himself on the bank I saw the speculum and no white border was evident (could see thin black border)...unless the white border was hidden. I watched them in the water paddling away and they had whitish undertails. A black duck has no white at all in the tail or undertails...correct? They looked a little too light toned for black ducks I think.

How about a hybrid between the two?

Niels

That crossed my mind. But I want to confirm that black ducks have no white in undertail and tail whatsoever...correct? I'm almost certain of this but want to be sure. I don't see white in this area in the field guides.

You mentioned they were in eclipse . Eclipse birds are in moult and as such are very likely to have various feather such as the missing ones you described missing as they are being shed and regrown. Rembember waterfowl unlike most other birds moult whole sections of feathers at the same time so it would not be a case of a couple of white covert feathers missing , rather the whole group of covert feathers. So an eclipse mallard could show the features you described.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back