• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (40 Viewers)

Why do these things always turn up on week days? Good result for the reserve though, even if it's yet another one I'll miss.

I've only ever caught up with one at UW - in April 2000 - that hung around for 2 days so there's still hope that us weekenders might still get this one.

Any chance of a 4pm short-eared owl update for those of us lucky enough to be working. I can get there for about 4.30 but it'd be great to know if it was still around...

Jase K just reported SE owl still present back of archery field at 4.28pmB :)

he has also just had another Yellow wag over sailing pool 3pm

Last edited:
Vis Mig

Spent nearly 7hours on site today, started just before 9 at he Moors. Continuous heavy rain and only stopped at 12.20pm. strong NE only dropping in force when rain stopped. Stayed in East hide accompanied by Dave J and Alan H for most of the time.
A good number of Swallows c200, flew low above the water making for easy RR swallow elimination.Only a couple of sand martin but 30 or 40 house martins were in tow and my first swifts (3) of the year were also seen. At 9.25 a dull yellow wag appeared in front on the shingle island then moved to the near grassy bank, only a few minutes later it flew off north. Two females then appeared at 10.20 for a few minutes again heading north, followed by two spanking males. These lingered for a while before moving off north. At 10.47 an Arctic tern dropped in accompanied by 3 common tern. Dave J had gone to the Flashes but the 8 Black Tailed godwits had moved off but he did find another arctic tern that pretty soon joined our bird. Alan H told me that in the log book at the Flashes there was a Short eared owl listed for last night, thinking nothing more of it I continued birding and found the 6th Yellow wag of the day, a male that flew off north and then came back and stayed a while.
To add to the 'vis mig' vibe, 2 of the common sands and the LRP at the Moors flew north during the rains.
Just after at 12.37 I received a call from John R, saying a Short eared owl was flying high over the masts at the Flashes:eek!:. Unfortunately I couldn't see it from the east hide, oh well the one that got away. To add insult to injury, Andy P Phoned 2 minutes later saying it was at the back of the Flashes hide at eye level. I made a dash to the Flashes to be told by 3 visitors that it had flown north over the farm towards the house on the hill...back to where I had just come from.:-C
I had a hunch and decided to check out our grassy triangle behind the archery field, this is the only SE owl habitat on the reserve. And yes I wasn't disappointed, there it was as it sat on top of a clump of sedge.;)
The bird was one of the darkest I have ever seen but some of that could be due to it being so wet. Before anyone arrived the bird flew, luckily only to a nearby post, from where it posed for the small crowd that had assembled. Ironically a loud group of what I thought were birders appeared, to inform uus that they were about to take archery lessons:eek!: the first time I have ever known anyone use this facility.
After being flushed a couple times the bird settled down to perform.
Later a 7th Yellow wagtail flew over the flashes hide going west. Another was seen at 3pm and I have since heard from Jason K that there is a wheatear at the Moors west path.
Oh well looks like spring has at last begun8-P

3 record and I mean record shots from today.B :)John

Just to temper our excitement somewhat a fox was seen inside the 'fence' along the 2nd flash east shore

Attachments

• 1 A dull yel wag249 (3).jpg
    1 A dull yel wag249 (3).jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 2male yell wag (2).jpg
    2male yell wag (2).jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 3se owl (3).jpg
    3se owl (3).jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Absolutely gutted I'm unable to make it to UW at the moment there are some good birds turning up, the short eared owl would be a lifer :-C

Well pleased for everyone who has seen it though, p.s. what is meant by the term RECORD shot, I keep seeing it but it makes no sense to me

Absolutely gutted I'm unable to make it to UW at the moment there are some good birds turning up, the short eared owl would be a lifer :-C

Well pleased for everyone who has seen it though, p.s. what is meant by the term RECORD shot, I keep seeing it but it makes no sense to me

Hi Mate...the term record means a pin ***** image of a bird that you can just make out what it is, as opposed to a frame filling 'portrait' quality shot of a bird.
B :)John get well soon kid:t:

In addition to John's round up, myself and Andy Pitt had decent views of Lesser Whitethroat at the Moors (halfway along the track from the car park to the concrete hide) at approx 17:00pm. 7 Swifts went over.

Below is a link to some video footage that I took of this afternoons Short Eared Owl. Its not the greatest footage as the bird had hankered down but it does serve as a record.

http://youtu.be/JdscitILonc

SHORT EARED OWL
Fantastic bird. I was at Earlswood watching 20 Common Terns when I got Brians text so thanks for getting the news out so quick. I was talking with John that he reckons it's the first one this century he has seen.- I have to go back to the early eighties. Thought we had missed the chance of getting one with so many in the country all winter. Upton delivers again

Hi Mate...the term record means a pin ***** image of a bird that you can just make out what it is, as opposed to a frame filling 'portrait' quality shot of a bird.
B :)John get well soon kid:t:

Ok thanks John, I understand now. Thanks for the best wishes buddy :t:

p.s if it's still there tomorrow I'm climbing off my sick bed

Today's Species counts
MOORS
GCG 4, Little grebe 2 (1 back on the Broadmeadow pool) , cormorant, mute swan pr, greylag 6 over west, teal 2 fems, gadwall male, tufted c40, Common sand 3, LRP, snipe 2, lapwing, oystercatcher 4, Arctic tern 2, common tern 3, herring gull 3 x 1st summer,
great sp and green woodpecker, kingfisher, collared dove, swift 3, yellow wag 6, swallow 170, house martin 30, sand martin 2, reed warbler plenty along causeway. 1 sedge w, chiffchaff, blackcap,

FLASHES
Shelduck male, gadwall pr, Avocet 10, LRP 4, common tern, Short eared owl,
yellow wag over hide plus another on the field ( thus 8 in total) near to the SE owl site.

Also add those species not seen by me: Black tailed godwit (8),
Lesser whitethroat at Moors and sailing pool car parks. Wheatear (moors)

In all at least 70 species were seen today on the reserve.
B :)John

SE owl habitat

Funny enough the rough grassy triangle that the owl is in, is earmarked for a bit of wetland restoration. Previously this area was a good area for wetland species where snipe, lapwing, redshank and even jack snipe have been recorded. Sedge, gropper and reed buntings have bred in it. However it has deteriorated in recent years through neglect, but in light of the owl's appearance we might have to resist the work unless the scrub encroaches too much. Or even enhance it for rough grassland species.B :)John

Blasted over after somehow misreading my watch and accidently leaving work a bit early 8-P

Good info from JK on the SEO's whereabouts as I arrived as he left but I couldn't get on it with bins, stood in the freezing wind for 15 mins. Brian pitched up so my spirits rose, stood in freezing wind another 15 mins... I had every faith, and brilliant he got on it squatting in the long grass in his scope for me to enjoy...stood enjoying it for 30 mins in the freezing wind..a lifer at UW is always special, thanks to Brian and JK :t:

Short-toed Owl unblocked!!

First time that a SEO has been photographed on the reserve to my knowledge and now we have video footage to boot - nice work John and Jas.

A great return to form by Upton with a really varied list of species recorded today - who's the daddy??!!

PS Who saw the 8 Blackwits?

Short-toed Owl unblocked!!

First time that a SEO has been photographed on the reserve to my knowledge and now we have video footage to boot - nice work John and Jas.

A great return to form by Upton with a really varied list of species recorded today - who's the daddy??!!

PS Who saw the 8 Blackwits?
Alan Hambury found them. Mostly feeding in transmitter field.
I have a picture of one SE owl in the North Moors in the early 80's, I'll try and drag it out. Andy P has a better 'shot'l than mine of today's bird. If is there tomorrow, can people not break the skyline if in the Archery field. Walk up the bank behind the targets and stay this side of the fence line. Please note that this is not our land and a permit will be required from the centre or wardens on site. I know this is not a rarity, but please remember we have a good relationship with the sailing centre and bad behaviour could jeopardise this.B :)John

Blasted over after somehow misreading my watch and accidently leaving work a bit early 8-P

Good info from JK on the SEO's whereabouts as I arrived as he left but I couldn't get on it with bins, stood in the freezing wind for 15 mins. Brian pitched up so my spirits rose, stood in freezing wind another 15 mins... I had every faith, and brilliant he got on it squatting in the long grass in his scope for me to enjoy...stood enjoying it for 30 mins in the freezing wind..a lifer at UW is always special, thanks to Brian and JK :t:

Not a problem Mark...glad I could be of assistance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back