• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 B's get dusty ..in the pouch?! (1 Viewer)

Wetstuff

I kept thinking ..'She must have put them away dirty.' I turned the pouch inside-out ..it appears there may have been a thin layer of foam between the inner/outer skins. Pretty much any foam will turn to powder with age.

I may have a fix. If so, I will share and take my wife to my favorite MEX restaurant.

Jim

Attachments

• SWAR_pouch.jpg
    SWAR_pouch.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 140
I've always wondered how a chromed AR15/M4/M16 bolt can carrier draw crud after it and the surrounding rifle are cleaned, placed in a zipped case, and put away in a patrol car trunk but it does.

Maybe the same trolls are responsible. ;)

David, Likely the case mfgr. used a fleece liner ..which uses a mesh as a base to hold the 'fleece hair' (do not know how to better say?) ..and if there is foam between the fleece and outer shell, the foam ages.....

For the interest of science.. send me a PM with measurements, I'll whip you up a microfiber 'pillow case' to cover the weapon before you case it. I would only do this if you are Law Enforcement. As ex-ARMY, I don't like civilians carrying guns. I make protective products for aircraft - 35yrs.

Jim

I've always wondered how a chromed AR15/M4/M16 bolt can carrier draw crud after it and the surrounding rifle are cleaned, placed in a zipped case, and put away in a patrol car trunk but it does.

Maybe the same trolls are responsible. ;)

Nah, David, its the direct gas impingement that changes the quantum structure of the chromium plating so that there is an imbalance between the negatively charged electrons and positively charged protons resulting in the actual attraction of crud. And the harder you wipe the bolt the more magnetically charged it becomes and the worse the issue gets. :eek!:

Its known as Charge-Organised Local Tensity or COLT and can be alleviated by a dose of H&K.

:-O :-O :-O

Lee

For the interest of science.. send me a PM with measurements, I'll whip you up a microfiber 'pillow case' to cover the weapon before you case it. I would only do this if you are Law Enforcement. As ex-ARMY, I don't like civilians carrying guns. I make protective products for aircraft - 35yrs.

Jim

VERY nice of you to make this offer. I am afraid that with my current method of carry/deployment I wouldn't use it though. I have the case "wedged" between other gear and usually unzip the top with two hands and bring the carbine out at an angle. I then remove the mag, check the feed position of the first round, reinsert, confirm that same is seated, charge, REremove mag, check new feed position (HOPEFULLY it's opposite), then reinsert mag, confirm mag is seated a second time, activate EO Tech, screw down tailcap of light, and then go. So it's already too slow... :king: I'm afraid any other layer would just become a tangled obstacle. But again you are the man for offering.

Nah, David, its the direct gas impingement that changes the quantum structure of the chromium plating so that there is an imbalance between the negatively charged electrons and positively charged protons resulting in the actual attraction of crud. And the harder you wipe the bolt the more magnetically charged it becomes and the worse the issue gets. :eek!:

Its known as Charge-Organised Local Tensity or COLT and can be alleviated by a dose of H&K.

:-O :-O :-O

Lee

I hear ya Lee... :-O

I really would like to move up to a piston system but I've carried direct impingement since 1984 (when David from NC was "Private David" in the NC Army National Guard) so I'm pretty comfortable with it, albeit I accept and know it's weaknesses. I may have a little gun cash in the coming year but an M1A Scout Squad is way above a piston AR right now... :t:

I hear ya Lee... :-O

I really would like to move up to a piston system but I've carried direct impingement since 1984 (when David from NC was "Private David" in the NC Army National Guard) so I'm pretty comfortable with it, albeit I accept and know it's weaknesses. I may have a little gun cash in the coming year but an M1A Scout Squad is way above a piston AR right now... :t:

Just joshing David, LE use is nothing like battlefield use anyway. But wouldn't the Scout Squad be a huge step up in firepower (apart from magazine size) bringing with it complications like dangers to bystanders due to ricochets and penetration of barriers?

Oops, drifting off bins here..

Lee

Just joshing David, LE use is nothing like battlefield use anyway. But wouldn't the Scout Squad be a huge step up in firepower (apart from magazine size) bringing with it complications like dangers to bystanders due to ricochets and penetration of barriers?

Oops, drifting off bins here..

Lee

Yeah I'll PM later tonight. I was thinking we might be straying in even posting what I did. I'd rather talk bins anyway. Of course, I recall about 5 pages of coffee bean talk a couple years ago in one thread. 3:)

I kept thinking ..'She must have put them away dirty.' I turned the pouch inside-out ..it appears there may have been a thin layer of foam between the inner/outer skins. Pretty much any foam will turn to powder with age.

I may have a fix. If so, I will share and take my wife to my favorite MEX restaurant.

Jim

hi Jim, that must be a very old pouch as I only very dimly remember it, with the current iteration of our pouch being at least three or four generations later. The newer pouches shouldn't have any materials in them that disintegrate like that and are available from certified dealers as a spare part if you are interested.

happy birding,
Dale

Thanks for the mention David. I am sure your materials are improving all the time. But, I like the hard way. I did not have any flannel'ized fabric in Black, but this will show dirt better.. Water repellent also so it won't become a petri dish inside. Ran a little Velcro around the rim. It could have been a slightly larger diameter, but ..z'Ok. Problem solved. Cheers all.

Jim

Attachments

• SWC1.jpg
    SWC1.jpg
    847.8 KB · Views: 51
  • SWC2.jpg
    SWC2.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back