• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed with Tundra Swan (1 Viewer)

Chuck M

I live in eastern North Carolina. We have been feeding three Tundra Swans since March of this year. They never left and we assumed they had been "clipped". They also had bands on one leg. We live on a river and have a canal behind our house.

Deer hunting season opened last week. We belived two of the Swans have been killed. The one remaining Swan seems disorented and is desperately missing her companions. We fear for her life.

Can anyone point us to a rescue organization or someone willing to help with this?

My email is monseesmas"at"adelphia.net

Hi Chuck and a warm welcome to BirdForum from those of us on staff.

I'll put a call out to the Carolina listserv and see if they have any suggestions for you so sit tight.

Hi Chuck,
And another welcome to the Birdforum. Following is a link to the North Carolina Wildlife site for Licensed Wildlife Rehabbers and they have several numbers you can call to find the closest rehabber to your area. I'm not really sure what they can do in this instance but it's worth a call.
Good luck and thanks for trying to help,

Dave B Smith said:
Hi Chuck,
And another welcome to the Birdforum. Following is a link to the North Carolina Wildlife site for Licensed Wildlife Rehabbers and they have several numbers you can call to find the closest rehabber to your area. I'm not really sure what they can do in this instance but it's worth a call.
Good luck and thanks for trying to help,

Thanks Dave

I checked there first, one number is out of service, the lady at the other gave me the number of the National Wildlife Service at Lake Mattamuskett. They told me their flocks are migratory, They do not do rescue, and that whoever made these birds so that they could not fly had broken federal law, and it was also illegal to confine one of these birds. Basically, no help at all.

So far I have had no luck. I really believe time is running out for this last remaining bird. She cannot fly, is alone, and misses her family. She will either be killed by a hunter, or will be attached by a fox now that she is alone. Or will die of loneliness.

If possible, maybe get a look at the leg band - someone may be able to trace and give a history of the bird.

Hang on (just been a-googling), try these guys
http://www.learnnc.org/bestweb/sylvanhgts
It's a bird park in NC and 'the Center has grown to care for 3000 birds of 170 different species, the majority of which are ducks, swans, and geese'.
Could be just what you're after.
Hope that helps,

Tony

ps: Hi!

Chuck M said:
Thanks!!! I have contacted these people and we are working on a solution. Will keep you posted when I know more.

This bird may owe it's life to this forum.

Thanks again.

Glad they're of help and I hoipe it goes well - keep us posted

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back