• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sizergh Hawfinches (2 Viewers)

Brilliant footage, worth its weight.

Hoping to combine Leighton Moss & Sizergh in a late April trip on the way up to Haweswater. It that still a good time to catch the Hawfinches?

Sizergh Hawfinches still around?

Hi
I'm planning to drop in to Sizergh Castle car park in the morning - does anyone know if the hawfinches are still around?
Thanks
Chris

Went to see them several times last Winter and Im just wondering if any one knows if they are still around and if so is it best to wait until the leaves are of the trees? Fantastic birds and any help much appreciated, thanks.

Went to see them several times last Winter and Im just wondering if any one knows if they are still around and if so is it best to wait until the leaves are of the trees? Fantastic birds and any help much appreciated, thanks.

I had hawfinches at Sizergh in July (3rd & 10th) last year feeding on cherries. If my memory serves me correctly there may be a few trees in the car park, but there's definitely some around the side of the castle. Go to the end of the car park, through the gate and turn right, past the end of the shop and there should be cherry trees on either side. Whether you can pick them out in the trees is another matter, you'll probably struggle to get photographs. It's worth walking along the path, right round the castle, then back up to the car park - plenty of birds around. You've got a chance of kingfishers on the two ponds, and spotted flycatchers in the car park.

Cheers
Jonathan

I was thinking of visiting Sizergh Castle to see the hawfinches this winter. Never been before, just wanted to know how far into autumn/winter decent numbers start to show up. Also wondered where about in the car park I want to be looking, and at what time of day is best.

Also wondered if there was anywhere else in the area that anyone would recommend in winter for birds - or other impressive wildlife?

Also, I heard that there was a feral population of Emperor Geese in Cumbria - where do these tend to hang around, if they're still around.

Thanks for any advice.

I was thinking of visiting Sizergh Castle to see the hawfinches this winter. Never been before, just wanted to know how far into autumn/winter decent numbers start to show up. Also wondered where about in the car park I want to be looking, and at what time of day is best.

Also wondered if there was anywhere else in the area that anyone would recommend in winter for birds - or other impressive wildlife?

Also, I heard that there was a feral population of Emperor Geese in Cumbria - where do these tend to hang around, if they're still around.

Thanks for any advice.

The Hawfinch were reported yesterday[3].
Just park in car park and look around.Best to leave it til leaves droped off trees and when it is quiet in the morning.
Emperor Geese were at South Walney nature reserve a wonderful reserve.Check their website.
I have copied my recent posting from another forum.

Hi there!
I have been birdwatching in the South Lakes for years.It is wonderful.Just a case of knowing the best places at a particular time of year as well as the tide situation.

In the Spring and Summer I regulary visit Bannisdale- Pied Flycatcher,Redstart,Wheatear,Whinchat,Reed Bunting,Stonechat,Meadow Pippet,Tree Pippet,Snipe,Cuckoo,Peregine,Raven,Redpoll,Green Woodpecker,Tawny Owl.This valley is one of the best birdwatching places in the area.

Also go to Kentmere particulary for Pied Flycatcher,Cuckoo,Garden Warbler and Blackcap.

Late Summer it's Scout Scar and Helsington Barrow-Passing Meadow Pippet,Linnet,Wheatear,Redstart,Whinchat,Spotted Flycatcher,Garden Warbler,Whitethroat,Lesser Whitethroat,Finches and Tits as well as resident Green Woodpecker,Nutach.I visited the Scar every day for about two weeks at the end of August/early September this year.Oddly enough I was seeing more passing birds here than at Walney on some days!
Brilliant!

The Cumbria Coastal way is good late Summer,Early Autumn for Wheatear,Whinchat,Measdow Pippet,Linnet,Ringed Plover,Common Sandpiper,Osprey,Peregine,passing Pinkfeet.

Foulshaw reliable for Osprey,Redpoll,Stonechat,passing Warblers, hirundines and possibly Hobby[several sightings this year]

Visit Flookburgh Marsh,Kents Bank and Grange in the Winter for huge flocks of waders,gulls,Turnstone,Pinkfeet,Grey and Golden Plover,Hen Harrier,Pergine,Merlin,Greater Crested Grebe,Eider,Goldeneye.Wigeon,Teal,Little Egret,Shellduck,Lapwing,Twite,Linnet.

Ulpha Meadows attracts,Teal,Wigeon,Shoveller,Shellduck,Greylag,L apwing,Curlew and waders.Big flocks of Redwing and Fieldfare are around as well.

Winter is also Sizergh season for the Hawfinch.

Notice that all these areas are on the fringes of the Lake District and in most cases virtually undisturbed and in the case of Bannisdale,the Coastal Way and Foulshaw, totally undisturbed.
They involve a lot of getting out of the car and walking in some cases.Not a bad thing.Its kept me fit tramping around these wonderful places for years.I can guarantee you won't see a soul most days especially,Bannnisdale,Ulpha Meadows and the Cumbria Coastal Way.

Last edited:
The Hawfinch were reported yesterday[3].
Just park in car park and look around.Best to leave it til leaves droped off trees and when it is quiet in the morning.
Emperor Geese were at South Walney nature reserve a wonderful reserve.Check their website.
I have copied my recent posting from another forum.

Hi there!
I have been birdwatching in the South Lakes for years.It is wonderful.Just a case of knowing the best places at a particular time of year as well as the tide situation.

In the Spring and Summer I regulary visit Bannisdale- Pied Flycatcher,Redstart,Wheatear,Whinchat,Reed Bunting,Stonechat,Meadow Pippet,Tree Pippet,Snipe,Cuckoo,Peregine,Raven,Redpoll,Green Woodpecker,Tawny Owl.This valley is one of the best birdwatching places in the area.

Also go to Kentmere particulary for Pied Flycatcher,Cuckoo,Garden Warbler and Blackcap.

Late Summer it's Scout Scar and Helsington Barrow-Passing Meadow Pippet,Linnet,Wheatear,Redstart,Whinchat,Spotted Flycatcher,Garden Warbler,Whitethroat,Lesser Whitethroat,Finches and Tits as well as resident Green Woodpecker,Nutach.I visited the Scar every day for about two weeks at the end of August/early September this year.Oddly enough I was seeing more passing birds here than at Walney on some days!
Brilliant!

The Cumbria Coastal way is good late Summer,Early Autumn for Wheatear,Whinchat,Measdow Pippet,Linnet,Ringed Plover,Common Sandpiper,Osprey,Peregine,passing Pinkfeet.

Foulshaw reliable for Osprey,Redpoll,Stonechat,passing Warblers, hirundines and possibly Hobby[several sightings this year]

Visit Flookburgh Marsh,Kents Bank and Grange in the Winter for huge flocks of waders,gulls,Turnstone,Pinkfeet,Grey and Golden Plover,Hen Harrier,Pergine,Merlin,Greater Crested Grebe,Eider,Goldeneye.Wigeon,Teal,Little Egret,Shellduck,Lapwing,Twite,Linnet.

Ulpha Meadows attracts,Teal,Wigeon,Shoveller,Shellduck,Greylag,L apwing,Curlew and waders.Big flocks of Redwing and Fieldfare are around as well.

Winter is also Sizergh season for the Hawfinch.

Notice that all these areas are on the fringes of the Lake District and in most cases virtually undisturbed and in the case of Bannisdale,the Coastal Way and Foulshaw, totally undisturbed.
They involve a lot of getting out of the car and walking in some cases.Not a bad thing.Its kept me fit tramping around these wonderful places for years.I can guarantee you won't see a soul most days especially,Bannnisdale,Ulpha Meadows and the Cumbria Coastal Way.

Just the information I needed - I'm in the process of buying a house in Holme - you've summarised the nearby sites for me perfectly.

Just the information I needed - I'm in the process of buying a house in Holme - you've summarised the nearby sites for me perfectly.

Cheers!
You have picked a great place!
You will have the time of your life!
There is a new blog on the block called

birdsincumbria.blogspot.com

As you will see bidwatchers in the area are a bit thin on the ground so the more the merrier.
You will get a taste of what's around Bannisdale,Scout Scar and the Cumbria Coastal way etc., from the site.
I approach the Cumbria Coastal way from two areas.
1] Park just beyond High Foulshaw farm and pick up the Cumbria Coast path.Hop over the broken fence when you reach the bund and turn right.Walk as far as you like.Very good here late Summmer high tides for Meadow Pippet,Linnet,Wheatear,Little Egret,Peregine,Sparrowhawk,Osprey, and possibilities of pasing migrants.

2] Take the Ulpha turning off the Barrow Road and park at the very wide entrance to the farm where the road suddenly takes a right turn.Walk towards the Cumbria Coastal path and when you reach the wood turn
a] Right towards Meathop Moss along the bund.Birds recently seen here:Lots of Meadow Pippet,Linnet,Wheatear,Reed Bunting,Pink feet,Sparrowhawk,Ringed Plover,Knot,Greater Crested Grebe,Raven,Common Sandpiper.
or turn
b] Left and head for the estuary.You can take in Ulpha Meadows which can have a large stock of wintering wildfowl and waders.

Incredibly I can wander around some of these areas and not see another birdwatcher for months on end.In Bannisdale and the Coastal Way you will be lucky to see anyone else at all never mind a birdwatcher.
All the best!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice- really helpful. I'm thinking of trying to see the Hawfinches at Sizergh first, then heading to South Walney for the Emperor Geese (Are they often there? Anywhere else I should try?). Hopefully I can find a Twite somewhere as well.

Thanks for all the advice- really helpful. I'm thinking of trying to see the Hawfinches at Sizergh first, then heading to South Walney for the Emperor Geese (Are they often there? Anywhere else I should try?). Hopefully I can find a Twite somewhere as well.

Not sure when you are going.
There is usually a big flock of Twite at Walney too.
You could check the South Walney website.

Great to see our County of Cumbria promoted.Lots of excellent birdwatching areas,but very spread out.

You may want to submit your sightings on the

birdsincumbria.blogspot.com

website.

Someone called Tom Wells is trying to promote it as a South Cumbria blog but so far I am one of the very few submitting sightings.

The trip isn't set in stone yet. Ideally we'd go when we had a decent chance of encountering a Hawfinch, and bumping into an Emperor Goose. Maybe mid-October? When do Hawfinch numbers peak?

The Hawfinches are about most of the winter they seem to prefer calm, dry conditions to get maximum numbers. Plus if you are about mid-October it is the best time to get the Bearded Tits on the grit trays at Leighton Moss.

Is there a local birding group website that mentions local sightings - wondered how many Hawfinches were showing and how often, as well as any other interesting local birds.

Is there a local birding group website that mentions local sightings - wondered how many Hawfinches were showing and how often, as well as any other interesting local birds.

If you contact me via website nearer the time of your visit I would be happy to help.

Cheers for that. I've joined the Facebook group, so I can check that when I'm there.

Pratincol: Thanks for your offer, I'll let you know shortly before I go.

Does anyone know if the Emperor Geese are resident on South Walney? I am interested in introduced animals in general, and I've heard about this little population for a few years now.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back