• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ambleside Otters (1 Viewer)

Didn't see them on Tuesday but it was pleasant enough sitting in the pier cafe drinking coffee staking them out and watching the gulls though.

Hopefully my daughter will have me up at the crack of dawn tomorrow or Wednesday as may head up to see these wonderful critters.

No joy last Friday but we were there a little late, around 9:00ish. Some of the staff at the pier haven't seen them lately so I think they may have moved on.

We tried a couple more times twice last week as well from 7.30am onwards but no joy either. We did see the Long-tailed Duck, Goosander and Goldeneye.

Does anyone know if the otters are still about, I could be visiting the lakes soon and if they are i will ad them to my list.

Thanks in advance.

To my knowledge they have not been seen for ages. It is odds on that they will be back to the Waterhead jetty in the winter, they seemed to like it.

I'm sorry but that ***t really ****s me off! That's absolutely sickening and makes you think that the chances are we won't be seeing any Otters under the pier ever again, not that I even managed to see them the first time.

I hope whoever's responsible is found and strung up by their genitalia, which are clearly going to be as small and pathetic as they are.

Very nicely shot video , did you use a hide or are the otters used to seeing humans around the jetty ?[/QUOTE

The video was shot last winter.

I also visited several times and the Otter family was completely unbothered by humans right by the water - in fact it was difficult to escape the conclusion that the youngsters in particular were as interested in us as we were in them. I was shooting full frame pictures with a 200mm lens at ranges down to six feet, and head portraits with the 500mm.

If they come back - and I deplore the trap news as much as anybody - they are one of the top wildlife experiences of Britain.

John

Dropped into the Pier Cafe today en route to Leighton Moss from Langdon Beck. Apparently an Otter swam past the pier yesterday, but most recent sightings are nearer the river mouth and the pier holt is not in use.

A pity, particularly if human disturbance is responsible - I mean idiots throwing stones and bread at the animals, not sensible wildlife watchers. However, good news that Otters are still in the area.

The Leighton Moss Otters however were excellent value later in the day.

John

I know not in Ambleside, but three otters in the middle of Kendal this afternoon.

2:15 by the parish church an adult and at least two cubs gallivanting about.

They're back

Down in the lakes on a family holiday and took a trip on the MV Miss Cumbria today, one of the guys on the boat told me that 2 otters had been seen this morning with one coming to the pier. after the trip at about 4 ish my snowball fight on the beach was interupted by the sigfht of an otter that swam to the pier and could be heard calling underneath for about 20minutes before heading out into the lake.

Ian

Thats good to hear , the chances were pretty good mind you most animals forgive or forget....probably forget. I'll have to get down there .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back