• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FL to SF (1 Viewer)

St. Elmo

I'm not sure how the HT fits into the line of descent, but if the SF is considered the successor to the FL, I'd really like to see a side-by-side. Anybody out there with both?

I'm not sure how the HT fits into the line of descent, but if the SF is considered the successor to the FL, I'd really like to see a side-by-side. Anybody out there with both?

I would say that the HT is the successor of the FL and the SF is a different league. Like the SV and the SLC.

Jan

I agree with Jan. The optical formula of the 42mm HT looks to be little if any changed from the 42mm FL. Optical differences appear to be limited to increases in glass and perhaps AR coating transmission and improvements to internal baffling. The SF is a radically different optical design from stem to stern.

Last edited:

yep, that would be really interesting to see,
I really need a lot of motivation to upgrade from my 7x42 FL…
|8.|

Indeed the HT is a restyled version of the FL.
Out of testing in the field my experience is that the HT has higher light transmission and more sensitive to internal reflections and glare than the SF
The SF beats these 2 without doubt on sharpness and glare

Indeed the HT is a restyled version of the FL.
Out of testing in the field my experience is that the HT has higher light transmission and more sensitive to internal reflections and glare than the SF
The SF beats these 2 without doubt on sharpness and glare

The HT is very different from the FL - I have both. Maybe not in optical design but in coatings for sure as the reflected colour is now quite orange / red compared to the purple / magenta of the FL.

The difference is mostly whiter whites and more neutral colour bias as well as better contrast..........all IMO of course.

Jan, Henry and Arran are all correct: HT is an FL, but it is not just an FL.

So James is right too: side by side the differences are easy to see, whiter whites and to my eyes, significantly richer reds although still 'neutral' overall and not 'warm' as a Leica.

For me the handling is much better for long periods of viewing, but for sure FL is a landmark in the history of Zeiss bins.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back