• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Zeiss Warranty Service (1 Viewer)

David in NC

I am on several internet forums and on one today I noticed where a fellow poster (a state fish and game officer with nearly 30 years service) had posted about a very positive warranty service from Zeiss on a pair of 10x40 B/GA T* bins he bought in 1986 from the original Cabela's store for a little over $800.

I would love to take the easy way out and cut-n-paste his text or simply provide a link but this was on a password-protected board so that would be out-of-line (heck this may be but I'll take my chances with this!)

He used them for work almost daily (and a LEO's work would be waaaay harder on them than some professional users, thrown in vehicle seat to take off after someone, banging against slung rifles/shotguns, stored in vehicle trunk or interior for almost the entire life of the unit, etc.)

He also stated that he birded the entire East Coast from Maine to Florida with them. While I have communicated with him on LE matters and other hobbies I never knew he was a birder! :t:

He said the hinge had gotten so weak he had used rigged it with electrical tape to keep them from closing when he used them! The optics had started to "fog" also.

In January, he sent them back to Zeiss with a note asking to be contacted about service costs. He made it clear he did not have the receipt and never sent in a warranty card. He heard nothing for 6 weeks and then they showed back up from Zeiss, completely overhauled.

They replaced fogged prisms, cleaned the optics, lubricated focus and seals, reset focus and alignment. They also fixed a "ding" (?) (his words) in a damaged ocular as well as replaced the eyecups. He said they also "packaged them like a million dollars". He sounded as if he liked them better than when they were new because the EXTERIOR still looks "weathered" to remind him of their character but the optics are as good as the day he bought them!

I just HAD to share this story here even though it was posted in a LE forum.

I am on several internet forums and on one today I noticed where a fellow poster (a state fish and game officer with nearly 30 years service) had posted about a very positive warranty service from Zeiss on a pair of 10x40 B/GA T* bins he bought in 1986 from the original Cabela's store for a little over $800.

I would love to take the easy way out and cut-n-paste his text or simply provide a link but this was on a password-protected board so that would be out-of-line (heck this may be but I'll take my chances with this!)

He used them for work almost daily (and a LEO's work would be waaaay harder on them than some professional users, thrown in vehicle seat to take off after someone, banging against slung rifles/shotguns, stored in vehicle trunk or interior for almost the entire life of the unit, etc.)

He also stated that he birded the entire East Coast from Maine to Florida with them. While I have communicated with him on LE matters and other hobbies I never knew he was a birder! :t:

He said the hinge had gotten so weak he had used rigged it with electrical tape to keep them from closing when he used them! The optics had started to "fog" also.

In January, he sent them back to Zeiss with a note asking to be contacted about service costs. He made it clear he did not have the receipt and never sent in a warranty card. He heard nothing for 6 weeks and then they showed back up from Zeiss, completely overhauled.

They replaced fogged prisms, cleaned the optics, lubricated focus and seals, reset focus and alignment. They also fixed a "ding" (?) (his words) in a damaged ocular as well as replaced the eyecups. He said they also "packaged them like a million dollars". He sounded as if he liked them better than when they were new because the EXTERIOR still looks "weathered" to remind him of their character but the optics are as good as the day he bought them!

Awesome story! :t:

You think LEOs are tough on optics, GEMINIs are twice as bad. ;)

That's the kind of repair experience you'd expect of Swarovski rather than Zeiss. Now he'll be able to see those poachers again!

Nice topic, three questions:
-what an LEO?
-what a Gemini?
-why was it deemed necessary to quote the whole post of the TO?

Don't forget Leo is also the 5th sign of the zodiac, hence Brock bringing together both Leo and Gemini.

Gemini is twice as bad as Leo because Gemini are twins.

Lee

Nice topic, three questions:
-what an LEO?
-what a Gemini?
-why was it deemed necessary to quote the whole post of the TO?

Basically it's a pun on LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) and the constellation Leo. Gemini (also known as the Twins) is another constellation. Brock was trying to be funny! ;)

That's the kind of repair experience you'd expect of Swarovski rather than Zeiss. ........................ .

Why?

Because one reads more about Swarovski's warranty repairs on Bird Forum's internet Forum than one reads about Zeiss's? Or because maybe Zeiss binoculars do not need repairing as often as Swarovskis do? There must be a reason for it?

Maybe Zeiss has been doing things like routinely refurbishing and repairing those old and worn classic binoculars which have been in the hands of the original owners for years and we just haven't heard about it?

Just asking.

Bob

Why?

Because one reads more about Swarovski's warranty repairs on Bird Forum's internet Forum than one reads about Zeiss's? Or because maybe Zeiss binoculars do not need repairing as often as Swarovskis do? There must be a reason for it?

Maybe Zeiss has been doing things like routinely refurbishing and repairing those old and worn classic binoculars which have been in the hands of the original owners for years and we just haven't heard about it?

Just asking.

Bob
Hello Bob,

I have had and used two FL's for a decade. The 8x32 got a knock, which jammed the eye cup, in the down position. Zeiss USA, accepted it for repair and returned it, very quickly. I suspect that if I had spoken with a Zeiss representative, they would have sent me a new eyecup. So the FL has proven very reliable and Zeiss USA customer service has proven to be first rate.

I must write that Zeiss USA is probably trying to compete with that Austrian brand both in product and in customer service.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Last edited:
David:

It is good of you to post this, and I think Zeiss went beyond the normal to please someone
in this case that posted it to an optics forum.

My experience with Zeiss with the same 10x40 BTP, is after 2 tries they could not take the
slack out of the focuser.

I was very disappointed, as they said they performed a service and replaced parts, but they
did not do anything.

The 10x40 Zeiss is a very good binocular, but it seems the techs. must have an attitude,
and they have to have a story and it needs lots of work before they give a care.

Jerry

Last edited:
Why?

Just asking.

Bob

Because reports of Zeiss repairs on BF have been spotty whereas reports of Swaro repairs are nearly spotless. Jerry's post is more evidence of that.

The one stain on Swaro repairs is that sometimes bins sent in for focuser problems are returned with the problem improved but not solved.

Gentlemen - My experience with Zeiss repairs and services over the years has been varied. Sometimes very slow and sometimes surprisingly fast. It may be a function of two aspects, the service people themselves and the product evolution itself. They undoubtedly have had some turnover and changes which reflect on service. Their current service IMO is excellent, both in purchasing accessories and replacing worn or damaged pieces such as eye cups and rain covers. Getting women in the customer service departments has been a big plus.

I don't believe most birders are aware of the sheer market and variety and complexity that Zeiss products have throughout the world. When B&L folded and became part of the Bushnell family (Japanese), some of that went to the Orient and some to Germany. Binoculars are only one aspect of Zeiss's offerings.

Not too long ago, Zeiss did something I didn't anticipate they would do with binoculars. They created a price tier like good, better, and best for binoculars. Prior to this, Zeiss made binoculars with an astonishing number of different models. They were all the best that could be mass produced by the individual model. But that is a topic for another thread.

There has been an upgrading of models with new and better coatings, optical glass, coverings, eye cups, accessories, and cosmetics. The switch from the predominate porro to the roof prism binoculars began slowly and then accelerated for a variety of reasons. One was from the competition coming out of the orient for porros and the other from European competition, mainly from Leitz-Leica and Swarovski for roofs. Today, only one Zeiss porro is made, the Marine 7x50 B/GTA

Optical glass must be the most expensive component of a binocular because the larger the objectives, prisms, and oculars are, the more expensive the binocular becomes. My Zeiss 15x60 B/GTA suggested retail price in 1994 was $2,500. I sent it in for re-collimation eight years ago and it was promptly returned fixed at no charge, postage included.

Zeiss has a reputation to protect. How many of these latest newcomers to binocular making will be around 20 years from now? (besides those made in China?)

John

Because reports of Zeiss repairs on BF have been spotty whereas reports of Swaro repairs are nearly spotless. Jerry's post is more evidence of that.

The one stain on Swaro repairs is that sometimes bins sent in for focuser problems are returned with the problem improved but not solved.
There is NO FOCUSER PROBLEM. Many alpha bins that are designed to operate across a wide temperature range lack fossil-based lubrication and, therefore, require a bit of use before the focus mechanism becomes smooth. Stop reading your own posts, purchase and USE a few alphas, work out and then get back to us.

There is NO FOCUSER PROBLEM. Many alpha bins that are designed to operate across a wide temperature range lack fossil-based lubrication and, therefore, require a bit of use before the focus mechanism becomes smooth. Stop reading your own posts, purchase and USE a few alphas, work out and then get back to us.

I pretty much agree with this but reading this and analyzing Pileatus' judicious use of caps...I read "There is NO FOCUSER PROBLEM!" with an mental picture of the same tone of voice Richard Dreyfus used in What About Bob when saying "I'm OOOONNNN vacation!!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEf_VEXOTSw

o:D

I pretty much agree with this but reading this and analyzing Pileatus' judicious use of caps...I read "There is NO FOCUSER PROBLEM!" with an mental picture of the same tone of voice Richard Dreyfus used in What About Bob when saying "I'm OOOONNNN vacation!!!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEf_VEXOTSw

o:D
I know grandmas using many of the bins in question (one 70 year old packs a 10X50 SV) and not one complains about the focus mechanism. This constant din regarding Swaro bins is tiresome. As I said, "there is no focuser problem."

PS
Zeiss did a great repair/refurbish on an old 10X42 a friend owns. Great company!

Last edited:
Zeiss can be fast and slow with repairs because, unless things have recently changed, they don't have complete repair facilities here in the states. So an eyecup is fast, but an overhaul goes back to Germany and takes six weeks.

Swaro, as far as I can tell, can do everything here so things go quicker. I have no experience however.

A few years ago my 8x32 FL had to have both eyepieces replaced (poorly cemented doublets) and it went back to Germany and took about six weeks. Zeiss did a good job though.

Lucky for me I'm a bino-nut so it's not like I didn't have a backup. 8-P

Mark

Brock,

Let us think about that for awhile.

Are we to take the reader's reports about repairs made to binoculars on Bird Forum as the measure of what Binocular Manufacturing Company has the best Warranty Program?

How can this be measured accurately; eliminating opinion, bias and simple dishonesty?

Bob

Some of the problems being not a problem but a part of the design:
The spring-loaded focussing-knob which inevitably turns with a wee bit more resistance in one direction than it does in the other.
Like RB, not buying that bino is the only solution to the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back