• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another inexpensive Fluorite scope? (1 Viewer)

FrankD

I was just doing some reading on Fluorite "glass" and came upon this little scope.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/kruger-columbia-sportswear-malheur-54301-spotting-scope-15-45x60.html

It now appears as if there is more than one inexpensive "Fluorite APO objective" spotting scope on the market. This one appears more compact and lighter in weight than the Celestron. I wonder how the optical performance will be?

There has been some discussion about Kruger Optical (makers of the Columbia optics) over in the binocular forum. The binocular equivalent of this scope won't be available for a month or so. I am guessing the scope won't be ready until then either. Hopefully I can find out.

Thoughts on the scope?

No experience with it. Only one flag I see is that it uses roof prisms, albeit phase coated. Not sure how good roof prisms would be at that price point.

Good point CP.

I contacted Kruger and they actually have both the Malheur binoculars and scope currently in stock. I am going to see if I can get a set of each for review and then post my thoughts here. According to Kruger the spotter does use a true Fluorite objective.

not much use tho if you cant change the zoom. Its the ability of the regal to use 1.25" lens that makes it attractive. still $300 is a wacko price!

True. Maybe they will introduce a fixed eyepiece to use with the scope as well.

If I don't hear something from them about getting a demo scope then I may just buy one to see how it performs.

I ordered one from Opticsplanet but they never confirmed the order. I am assuming they do not have it in stock.

I have been trying to contact Kruger through one of their reps here but have not heard anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back