• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Zeiss 7 x 50 H (1 Viewer)

Alti,
The Zeiss 7x50H Septarem (H stands for Hellig, which is Bright) was made originally in 1937-1939 and the Porro-2 prism system was constructed in such a way (verkittete Bildfeldlinse according to Hans Seeger) that light transmission was enhanced.
Gijs

Hello Alti,

In good shape it is a rather collectible binocular. Gluing the field lens to the prism reduced the air to glass surfaces and improved the light transmission.

Cheers,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Great info, thanks!

Can anyone tell me about the digits I believe is a serial number? 1363 seem a bit low for the total 7x50H series. Can it be number 1363 for a special year? Also, the text Septarem is not found on my binocular. to the left is the Carl Zeiss Jena logo and under it 7 X 50 H, nothing else. To the right the serial number 1363, nothing else.

Unfortunately I don't have it at hand just now so I can't send any photos, but from the auction I have copied these photos of the same part on the binoculars. My binocular looks the same except for the differences I mentioned.
Back.
Left.
Right.

1363 is not the factory serial number. It is most likely a Kriegsmarine number. You may be able to find the Zeiss factory serial number written in small numbers on the objective end hinge cap. If your binocular has been repainted or shows a lot of external wear it could be hard to see.

1363 is not the factory serial number. It is most likely a Kriegsmarine number. You may be able to find the Zeiss factory serial number written in small numbers on the objective end hinge cap. If your binocular has been repainted or shows a lot of external wear it could be hard to see.

I believe it can be a serial number from the Swedish Navy or Army.

It is repainted. Is the serial number painted or punched? If it is punched it would maybe be possible to carefully scrape off the new paint to see the number.

I believe it can be a serial number from the Swedish Navy or Army.

It is repainted. Is the serial number painted or punched? If it is punched it would maybe be possible to carefully scrape off the new paint to see the number.

Yes, it is possible they are Swedish Navy. The Swedish navy bought a small number of Septars from Zeiss between 1936-1939. Look carefully above the 1363 marking for a single crown marking (the 3 crown marking did not come into effect until 1942) which may have been painted over. Note that not all the Swedish Septars will have the crown marking.

The serial number will be stamped (punched) but not very deeply and could be filled with paint and hard to see. I'd first try very gently and carefully rubbing the hinge end cap with a cloth soaked in acetone to try to remove the repainting and see if you can find the number. The Swedish Septars were Zeiss factory numbered between 1708001 (1936) to a little higher than 1973701 (1939).

Last edited:
As far as I can understand Sweden did not order many more than 1,000 of these and the 1363 number seems a little high. All the other Swedish numbered examples I've seen are under 1,000 i.e. 255, 679, 712. If it is a Swedish one, it would probably have been one of the last delivered in 1940.

I have just found this auction on eBay:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121620760200..._trkparms=gh1g=I121620760200.N7.S2.M32.R1.TR2

It looks very much like a binocular I own, but not quite. The one I own have to the left the Carl Zeiss Jena logo and under it 7 X 50 H. To the right is only the digits 1363.

Can anyone on the list give me more information about its pedigree?

I think we can now officially declare that it was Zeiss, not Swarovski, that invented the open bridge design, and rather than stealing the design from Swaro, Zeiss has now resurrected it on its new SF bins.

As to the pedigree, it looks a bit like a Saluki to me. ;)

<B>

Attachments

• Saluki.jpg
    Saluki.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 36
I think we can now officially declare that it was Zeiss, not Swarovski, that invented the open bridge design, and rather than stealing the design from Swaro, Zeiss has now resurrected it on its new SF bins.

As to the pedigree, it looks a bit like a Saluki to me. ;)

<B>

Sorry Brock but this model, although it has a hinge down by the objective lenses, is not an open hinge because it has that metal tube running down from the top bridge to the bottom hnge. Delete this tube and you have room for fingers because the hinge arrangement is now 'open'.

Lee

Deckmount, you have great and detailed photos here.

Do you have any photos of the actual serial number, that should be stamped on the objective end hinge cap according to LPT?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back