• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh harrier (?) (1 Viewer)

Hindolbittern

Wildlife artist & good egg
On Friday I went for lunch at Cookies at Salthouse N Norfolk. Whilst we were idly waiting for our table (it has got stunningly popular for a shed selling crab sandwiches) I scanned the marshes with my binoculars. Nothing much to see.

As I leant against the car I realised that there was a raptor sitting on a telegraph pole right next to the road. I think it was a marsh harrier (any help would be well received). It stayed there for a good half hour whilst we were eating. The place was heaving but I don't think anyone else was aware of it other than us.

The picture is not award winning I'm afraid.

Tonight on the way home from a meeting in the next village to us (3 miles or so) we saw two barn owls and a tawny owl. I never stop getting excited about it.

Attachments

• Raptor Salthouse I.jpg
    Raptor Salthouse I.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 79
  • Raptor Salthouse III.jpg
    Raptor Salthouse III.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Raptor Salthouse IV.jpg
    Raptor Salthouse IV.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Hindolbittern said:
As I leant against the car I realised that there was a raptor sitting on a telegraph pole right next to the road. I think it was a marsh harrier (any help would be well received). It stayed there for a good half hour whilst we were eating. The place was heaving but I don't think anyone else was aware of it other than us.

Looks like a male Kestrel to me, unlikely, I would think, to see a harrier perched in that situation.

How was lunch ;)?

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back