• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 500mm lens support? (1 Viewer)

SheffBirdingSam

Hello Everyone.

I need your help with you giving me some advice about a Tripod and Head.
I hopefully soon in the future be getting the Canon 500mm f4 IS lens.

I want to know what tripod and head i can use.
One ideas was a Giottos MTL9271B tripod (10kg max load) and a Manfrotto 393 head?

I will also have a canon eos 1d body on the end of the lens

Would this work?

Regards,
Sam Winslow

I have been using a Giottos MTL8361B and have been happy with it.
I purchased a full Gimbal type head from India at a fraction of the Wimberley cost.......a lot of people recommend spending the full £500 on a Wimberely as "what's the point in having a £5K lens then taking a chance with the head"-and that has to be your choice (they do have a point)-but I have been happy with the Indian type at less than £200.

Hi Sam l have a 150-500 sigma not on tripod as have anti shake on camera and lens, but l got a wooden file handle fitted a thread (Mate model engineer no prob) to screw into lens for support when mobile and right hand free to do the bis, give it a try got one also for my 18x50 IS canons bins lot better holding them beasties Rick

Don't skimp on the head. After spending the money on the lens you'd hate to have it fall off the tripod from a shoddy tripod head. The Wimberley is worth every penny. You can probably find someone selling one use for a good price.

I'd definitely not buy cheap - personally I'd want a Gitzo tripod and a decent gimbal - I use a Jobo head I tested it against the Manfrotto 393 and it is streets ahead. Cheap tripods and heads can be a false economy.

Well I bit the bullet after buying a Pentax SMC FA* 600mm F4 (7kg) and went for the Wimberley Head and Gitzo GT5531S. Totally happy now.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back