• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Complete families of birds seen (1 Viewer)

Andy

It's a doddle, once you get there; saw 3 in July in trees by the village (though they may have been chopped since).

Toucans easy enough except for very hard Yellow-browed Toucanet (I think one of may mates has seen all bar this).

Penguins are not that difficult - I've seen them all for a lot less than £25,000 although I was lucky with Emperor!

My lowest percentage is probably Indigobirds - a group I'll leave for the stringers! ;)

cheers, alan

Last edited:
What about Petrels and Shearwaters? They're scattered all over the oceans, some of them really rare and I guess you'd have to spend numerous weeks aboard ships in not always favourable circumstances.

I think HS and perhaps CC and others have seen all of these.

cheers, alan

Andy

It's a doddle, once you get there; saw 3 in July in trees by the village (though they may have been chopped since).

cheers, alan

That was my point really Alan, the effort in getting there, this was one of the aspects, mentioned in an earlier post in regard to the work required seeing a species.

So anyone seen all the Asian Ground Cuckoos? Even the easiest, Coral-billed is probably tricky now that the Khao Yai bird isn't there?

Anyone seen all the races of Island Thrush, got to be a few armchair ticks in there?

A

IOC have already split those laughers Andy, it's the bottom bunch of laughers on their list

Bottom of the list on my updated Scythebill doc are not 'Kerala and 'Travancore Laughingthrush' but Palani and Ashambu, that's what defeated my search!

Cheers, A

Last edited:
Wow, I thought I'd have a lot, but no. Just Hoatzin, Palmchat, Donocabius, Hammerkop, Sunbittern, Olive Warbler, and Oxpeckers(2).

I'd imagine many people with the three Tropicbirds?

Silky-flycatchers (4)
Hamerkop (1)
Sunbittern (1)
Limpkin (1)
Ibisbill (1)
Bearded Reedling (1)
Black-capped Donacobius (1)
Wallcreeper (1)
Bananaquit (1)

Not very impressive... :-O

Divers are the only multi species family I've completed. Also seen the following single species families: Hamerkop, Sunbittern, Limpkin, Hoatzin, Oilbird, Palmchat, Bearded Tit, Donacobius.

Bananaquit no longer counts as IOC lumped it during the latest shuffle of Tanagers

Using HBW taxonomy, I've completed 26 families - 21 single species (Magpie Goose, Sunbittern, Oilbird, Hoatzin, Limpkin, Hamerkop, Shoebill, Egyptian Plover, Ibisbill, Crab Plover, Osprey, Cuckoo Roller, Sapayoa, Bristlehead, Crested Jay, Bearded Reedling, Donacobius, Hypocolius, Prezvalski's Rosefinch, Thrush-Tanager and Wrenthrush), three doubles (Hoopoes, Toucan-Barbets and Oxpeckers), a four (Darters) and the five Divers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back