• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Head Banging Stoat & Screaming Hobbies (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
Down a different footpath, a touch of autumn in the air; leaves turning, berries ripening.
Rose hips and elderberries, haws and blackberries; signs of seasonal success and succession. Mild enough for a Red Admiral, late enough for a passing Siskin - one calls unseen.
A blur of raptors streak in across grey clouds - coming my way - screams of begging - two Hobbies nose to tail - just yards away. Then, up from very near - another slices up to greet the adult with the prey, snatches it from her like lightning and takes it to trees nearby.
The adult turns and powers up and away - off up high to hunt again, never pausing. Her other offspring continues to call and goes off to the copse opposite.

Bullfinch calls close by, Willow warbler shows in an appropriate willow. Then - right out in the open - just yards away, a Stoat appears. It crosses the path, seemingly doesn't see me, leaps onto a concrete block and runs across - headbutting the upright gently, moves on, leaps down, crosses the path again to jump up on the opposite block where it repeats its action - butting the block before running on.
It disappears under the concrete, into brambly shadows.

A juvenile female Sparrowhawk, hassled by crows, flies a quick loop out from the trees nearby, banded tail disappearing back into cover.
Now an adult male Sparrowhawk flies across the field - below my bank position, reaches the same trees as the other. There is a brief chase as she sees him off - blue and brown along the hedge.

Kestrels circle and hover - juveniles and adults - Buzzards are up hunting, four of each add to the raptor count. Gold, Green and Chaffinches move above the track.

Out over stubble past the duck-crowded pond, Wagtails "chisseking" and, half a kilometre away, the Hobby young's cries ring out clearly. One perches at the very top of the highest tree, the other glides down to the field to settle there.

Returning along the path, distant calls still ring out. A young Great-spotted woodpecker, red capped, shuffles up a trunk. Meadow pipits continue to come in - taking up winter quarters.
Summer slips gently away.

- just yards away, a Stoat appears. It crosses the path, seemingly doesn't see me, leaps onto a concrete block and runs across - headbutting the upright gently, moves on, leaps down, crosses the path again to jump up on the opposite block where it repeats its action - butting the block before running on.

What was all that about then H? Do you know? :brains:

No idea, D.
Maybe they butt banks to flush things out? And it hasn't appreciated the difference.
Seemed none the worse for it though!

Wondered whether it was some sort of territorial hunting behavior (aggressive?) - will keep my eyes open for such antics in future!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back