• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gimblehead on a mono pod.. (1 Viewer)

Steve.B

Does anyone use a gimblehead on a mono-pod..?

The reason I ask this is because some time ago I machined a gimblehead from billet aluminium
gimble-1.jpg
(luckily I have lathes and a milling machine in my workshop ) so as my d90 and sigma 150-500 would be balanced in any position when using my manfrotto tripod for photographing deer, non flying birds etc.
The thing is I now find myself walking about and when I want to take a shot I just leave the tripod legs together and end up using it like a sort of monopod, this then got me to thinking if I purchase a monopod I can cut down on the weight...so when I order my tripod is my gimble suitable or should I get a different head...or is it a case of no head at all just screw a quick release plate to the top of the mono pod...I would be greatfull for anyones thoughts on this ..thanks steve

Never tried my Wimberley or my own DIY Gimbal on a Monopod but the Manfrotto 393 is advertised as for use on a Monopod, try it and see how you get on.
Good looking Gimbal head you have machined there.

Last edited:
I tried my Jobu Gimbal on a Monopod, best to lock the panning and just keep the up/down mode un-locked - worked well but the big pain for me was carrying over the shoulder, kept smacking me in the side of the head.

Thanks Tom & Roy, I have just ordered an aluminium Giottos monopod which I will try with my gimble and if I get on with it ok I will pass it on to a friend of mine and get a carbon fibre model..... Roy after my first outing with my gimble, I came home and drilled and tapped it so as I could insert a thumb screw to stop it swinging about and smacking me in the head when hanging my tripod over my shoulder...

I use a gimbal sidekick on a monopod for years, both with a 300 2.8 and a 500 4.5.
Works great. Not sure how a full size gimbal would handle, but worth a try.

Ulli

I tried my Jobu Gimbal on a Monopod, best to lock the panning and just keep the up/down mode un-locked - worked well but the big pain for me was carrying over the shoulder, kept smacking me in the side of the head.

Couldn't have been all bad Roy. I bet you saw twice as many birds! :-O

I haven't tried mine on a monopod yet so might give it a go.

Iv used my Gimbal with a mk3 and 500f4isL on a monopod for years, most shots in my galley were taken this way although i use a 7d now.
Infact i designed my Gimbal for use on a Monopod although it can be used on a tripod with a rotating collar as shown in my vidio.
Rob.

Iv used my Gimbal with a mk3 and 500f4isL on a monopod for years, most shots in my galley were taken this way although i use a 7d now.
Infact i designed my Gimbal for use on a Monopod although it can be used on a tripod with a rotating collar as shown in my vidio.
Rob.

Rob... You are a genius.......

Rob... You are a genius.......

I know ;)
Iv just added a rotating collar to my Gimbal so it will now work on Any tripod Giveing both horizontal and vertical movment even if the trpod does NOT rotate :)
Iv just got a little more testing to do befor i put them on the market.
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back