• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The pack. (1 Viewer)

black crow

I'm curious as to the number of bins you all own and why?

I guess I can start. I own currently 10 pair. The reason I own this many is mainly in an attempt to learn what best works for me in terms of size and power. Of my non compacts they are all of a different power from 6 to 9x. What I hope to do eventually when the newness wears off is to end up with four or five pair that I will use often enough to justify having.

I guess the other reason I'm asking is to see how crazy I actually am. :t: I know of no one but you guys who would even consider having more than two.

No pics?

I was really hoping for a group picture.

I will see what I can do on my end tomorrow. Busy day then as well with a trip down to one of the larger local waterfowl spots. ;)

I've had 25 or 30 maybe, I forgot. I have a list but not handy. For a while I enjoyed buying and trying, but lately have been scaling back to a reasonable lineup that I am pleased with.

I am down to the following...

Higher Power: ProOptic 10x42
The Twins: Sightron 8x32 / Theron 8x32
Kitchen Bin: Yosemite 6x32
Car Bin: Excursion 8x28

I have 3 that are for sale for various reasons:
7x36 excursions
7x35 porro
7-15 x35 bushnell porro

I have one on the way in a week or so that may or may not replace one in the lineup:
Katmai 6x32

I wouldnt mind getting a high power spotting scope one day, or maybe a very nice 12 or 15x porro with a great image.

Being honest with myself, the sightron is all the bino I NEED.

Realistically I'd say I could be quite content with 5 of various size/styles etc, which I am nearing.

Didn't mean all of them. I'm just fairly sure you have most of what I own. Much of my purchases have come from your advice. I will have the zen 9x36 in a few days but it's going to look a whole lot like the 7x8-P

Simon S has borrowed time on a Fujitsu supercomputer that does a whopping ten petaflops, and it's still going to take a couple days until they are all counted. :)

The Fantastic Four:
8x EII
10x EII
10x SE
804 Audubon

I've got another one the way too, but since Frank is being tight lipped, so am I. 8-P

Zen Ray ED2 7x36
Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32
Vortex Raptor 8.5x32
Vortex Fury 6.5x32
Sightron Blue Sky SII 8x32
Nikon Travelite 8x25
Pentax Papilio 6.5x21
Pentax UCF R 8x21
Alpen Pro 8x25
Zen Ray 9x36 ED2 (on the way)

Celestron C-90 MAK spotting scope
Barska 18-90x80 spotting scope

Do you use them all frequently? Do you feel 10 is the amount you need for what you use them for?

I could live with 2 or 3, brand does not matter but quality does.

For birding an 8x32 (close and woodland birding) and 10+15x50 for open areas,
or just use the 8.5x42 as an acceptable compromise.
For astronomy 100mm binoculars.

You all know how it is-you buy one, buy another for finetuning, buy another to cover the field, and you wind up with many.
I do use them all-SOME, but many are backups for the backups.

edj

I will state again what I have stated a number of times in the past on this subject.

"If you know how many binoculars you own, you don't have enough."

Bob|:D|

I think I have about 130 but can't say for sure without physically counting them. I keep a list of all the binoculars I purchase with the date purchased and price but some I've sold and there are some other poor quality ones or parts-only ones I got for free which are not listed.

Why 20? What advantage from owning that many? Variety and enjoyment of using them.
Rather like having 4 old cars in the family, each with its own distinctive personality, for the same price as one modern low-end lack-lustre hatchback. I'm unlikely to see another car like the one I'm driving. That pleases me; I like to be different. For example, when was the last time you saw a Mazda Xedos V6 or Audi 80 Sport?
So too with binoculars. Nikon SEs, HGs, 10x35EII, B&L 7x42 Discoverer, Zeiss 10x40 BGAT and 8x50 Octarem, most of which you're unlikely to see at a bird watching event, but all supreme quality for the same cost as one new 'alpha'. I enjoy my 'users', as many as 20 or more. Then there are my collectables, scarce and treasured, like Hensoldt Dialyt, Kern Pizar and Nikon Tropical. They just don't make 'em like that any more.
Come to think of it, 20 isn't sensible at all. Perhaps the question should be, "How do you get by with so few?".

I think I have 12 pair currently, not sure why though as only three of them see regular use... I am toying with slimming the collection down a bit (how many 8x32s do I really need)? The problem is the more expensive ones are the ones I'd want to keep and I'd only sell any of them to fund new toys.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back