• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on airbrush kit needed (1 Viewer)

thornlv

Hi

I am toying with the idea of incorporating an airbrush in my art, as a lot of my subjects are from photos I have taken where the background is out of or soft focused. So anyway

What should I look for in a kit - I will be using it in the house, so needs to be quiet(ish)

Also any one suggest a brand, ie Iwata, Badger etc or any others. Anyone had experience with these or other makes - ebay ones etc.

My budget is around £120 ish.

I have one of the Axminster compressors and have been very happy with it, though it rarely gets used nowadays.

Had a look at the German one, seemed more expensive from dealers in the UK, the freezer compressor idea isn't an option as I don't know anyone to cobble it together (but an interesting option for some that do).

Mary, found some Axminster compressors and they look ok - what model is yours - is it quiet(ish), what brush do you use with it.

Many thanks so far. On more research it seems I should look for a dual action, top feed. But this then leaves me another question, what if you want to change color and blend in the last color

Compressors - what features should these have

Many thanks.

Vic

Oops, Vic, I had a serious senior moment! It shows how long it is since I used the airbrush/compressor! I used to have an Axminster years ago, but then changed to one from http://www.everythingairbrush.com/index.html which I'm also very happy with! It's a mini-piston type something like the AB-AS18. I would think it's important to have one with an 'on-demand' air supply to give an even paint finish.

As for the airbrush, I also had that from the same place; it's a finespray gravity feed AB-130, and very good as long as you wash it out very well after use or the nozzle blocks. If you want to change colour, you have to wash out the paint reservoir, and the air brush, just flushing lots of water through if the paint is water soluble. Doesn't take long. Colours can be mixed in the reservoir, or another container before hand.

I also used their Pro-Colour paints, as I was painting on wood and they were really good.

I don't know how people achieve some of the really fine work that is done! Years of work and really expensive equipment perhaps! But something like the above may be a good starting point. Hope this helps a bit, and apologies for the false start!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back