• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (26 Viewers)

Hi Sy,

It looks like one of the Great Spots has been having a go at one of your nest boxes - see below. We can put some metal plates around the holes to stop this - I think John said he has some.

BTW it's chucking it down with snow here - I hope we can still make the work party tomorrow.

Attachments

• Pecker Problem.jpg
    Pecker Problem.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 63
Hi Sy,

It looks like one of the Great Spots has been having a go at one of your nest boxes - see below. We can put some metal plates around the holes to stop this - I think John said he has some.

BTW it's chucking it down with snow here - I hope we can still make the work party tomorrow.

Hi Dave ordered some off Steve Poole yesterday:t:

What's about mate.
re work party. I think this snow is stopping tonight. Tomorrow should be fine weather wise. I will be there anyway. We can still check the fencing and cut some trees down.
If it is snowing in the morning then it will be called off...see what Phil say's. But as I say the forecast is good for tomoz;)

Hi Dave ordered some off Steve Poole yesterday:t:

What's about mate.
re work party. I think this snow is stopping tonight. Tomorrow should be fine weather wise. I will be there anyway. We can still check the fencing and cut some trees down.
If it is snowing in the morning then it will be called off...see what Phil say's. But as I say the forecast is good for tomoz;)

Unless its still snowing tomorrow morning I am happy to give it a go, albeit there may be limits on what we can do. The forecast shows the snow turning to rain overnight and temperatures above freezing. I cant make next week anyhow.

Dave - is the hide "that will be finished by the end of January" still being worked on today?

Last edited:
Unless its still snowing tomorrow morning I am happy to give it a go, albeit there may be limits on what we can do. The forecast shows the snow turning to rain overnight and temperatures above freezing. I cant make next week anyhow.

Dave - is the hide "that will be finished by the end of January" still being work on today?
I'll be there come what may, even with my toothache 8-P

Like I said to Gavo we are Brummies (well some of us ):-O

They were still working on the hide this morning. Not much about, birdwise - a couple of Goldcrests, a few Siskins, Redpolls and one Wigeon being the highlights.

Hi Sy,

It looks like one of the Great Spots has been having a go at one of your nest boxes - see below. We can put some metal plates around the holes to stop this - I think John said he has some...

Yes. Please get whatever you can from Lifestyles. Is it me or does that look like squirrel damage Vs GSW?

Dave - is the hide "that will be finished by the end of January" still being worked on today?

Phil just sent you a PM, tried to ring on home number. You must be on here

Tomorrow's work party will go ahead, although we may be limited in the range of tasks that can be undertaken. Obviously we expect that turn-out may be low given the conditions but any attendance will be appreciated.

It is likely that we may need to arrange an additional work party between now and March given the range of tasks outstanding.

Tomorrow's work party will go ahead, although we may be limited in the range of tasks that can be undertaken. Obviously we expect that turn-out may be low given the conditions but any attendance will be appreciated.

It is likely that we may need to arrange an additional work party between now and March given the range of tasks outstanding.

Are you sure Phil? The snow is getting heavier in Bromsgrove, there's now a good three inches in my garden :eek!:

Are you sure Phil? The snow is getting heavier in Bromsgrove, there's now a good three inches in my garden :eek!:

Hi Gavo - when I say it will go ahead what I really mean that myself and John will be there with the refreshments and tools; I am sure we can find tasks for whoever braves it. I dont really expect to do much other that fox fence checking and more scrub management work.

Hi Gavo - when I say it will go ahead what I really mean that myself and John will be there with the refreshments and tools; I am sure we can find tasks for whoever braves it. I dont really expect to do much other that fox fence checking and more scrub management work.

Ok fair play to you both, if we can dig the car out we may see you there :t:

A Snipe from this afternoon before the snow arrived.After posing for this it went into the undergrowth below west hide on the Moors heading for the stream.
Several Bullies and Reed Bunts at the feeding station.

Chris

Attachments

• snipe 2 copy.jpg
    snipe 2 copy.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 97
Whilst other Midlands reserves cancelled their work parties, Upton Warren kept going strong. Many thanks to Dave, Mike, John, Graham, Paul, Gary, Simon and Guy for their time today. We removed a number of overhanging branches from the path and used them to strengthen the hedgeline along the path to prevent disturbance to birds on the Flashes and block access by the feeding station hide. We then moved on to a thorough checking of the fox fencing and trialling some alterations in its design which will be implemented in the next few weeks; several breaches were located and these will be dealt with in future work parties (more later).

Sightings today included:

SAILING POOL
Drake Wigeon (possibly the same bird as yesterday), 3 Mute Swans

FLASHES

Mobile flock of c70 Linnet, 1 Snipe, 45 Teal, 2 Mute Swans, adult GBB Gull over, Water Rail along the Hen Brook by the bridge

MOORS POOL
18 Moorhen, 17 Pochard, c20 Tufted Duck, a few Shoveler, 2 Mute Swans, 1 GC Grebe, 14 Curlew, Peregrine chasing a Snipe, 3 Water Rails around the feeding station plus a fourth along the west path, Siskin, 3 Grey Heron, a dark mantled Herring Gull early morning.

There were good numbers of winter thrushes across the reserve today.

Last edited:
To add to Phil's sightings:
Shoveler 6 and 18 min poss 21 Pochard, Teal 74, 2 more water rail were heard at the north end of the west track after Phil left.

B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back