• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharm el sheikh (1 Viewer)

cbutler

I am going to Sharm on 24th October for 7 days staying at Reef Oasis in Sharm. Not the Blue Bay Reef Oasis
Does any one know how far are the pools at Sharm and the airport pools from this Hotel and how much a taxi would be for a morning to visit these areas.
Are there any sights locally for Sooty Falcon.
The birds that I would target are Sandgrouse, Spotted, Black Bellied and Crowned,Houbara Bustard and Sooty Falcon.
What are the chances of White-cheeked Tern.
Any advice would be appreciated

I am going to Sharm on 24th October for 7 days staying at Reef Oasis in Sharm. Not the Blue Bay Reef Oasis
Does any one know how far are the pools at Sharm and the airport pools from this Hotel and how much a taxi would be for a morning to visit these areas.
Are there any sights locally for Sooty Falcon.
The birds that I would target are Sandgrouse, Spotted, Black Bellied and Crowned,Houbara Bustard and Sooty Falcon.
What are the chances of White-cheeked Tern.
Any advice would be appreciated

I suggest you check the various recent discussions here. Also, my trip report might be helpful, considering costs of a taxi etc.: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=182454

I'm not sure whether "my" taxi driver will be in Sharm when you visit, but you might try to find out by using the various contact possibilites I mentioned. If you go to a relatively local place, it might be best to arrange a pick-up instead of having the driver wait. But make sure you are fair by using his services and not the ones of another taxi that happens to drive by. Or else, that convenient system will not work anymore.

Sooty Falcons may still be around, but the majority of this species will likely be gone by then. Shirihai lists the species as possible for Israel till mid November. So there is definitely a chance. Let us know when you are back, please! I had excellent views of the birds at Ras Mohammed NP right along the paved main road.

By the time of your visit, temperatures are likely to be considerably lower than on my visit. So there should be more birds out during the day. Not sure how much raptor migration is still going on then. I'm already hoping you'll write up a trip report as well. And enjoy your visit! Add some snorkelling as well. It can be at least as addictive as birding.

Hi cbutler

There's a fair bit of information in the Opus article and perhaps a PM to NicoleB who wrote most of it, will be of help too.

D

What have you seen?

I am going to Sharm on 24th October for 7 days staying at Reef Oasis in Sharm.......Are there any sights locally for Sooty Falcon.
What are the chances of White-cheeked Tern........

Any report? Should be interesting to compare.

Hi Swissboy
I am in the middle of sorting the id of some tricky species.
Must admit I was unprepared for the raptors when I visited the Sharm Pools luckily I have some photos so I am sorting the id plus some of the pippits an wagtails prooved tricky.
I will post a report shortly with some of the photos.
I have previosly been to Eilat twice but that was 10 yrs ago so some of the Eagles caused me problems as I did no research prior to going and also only took my emergency bins. Wont make the same mistake again.
Bear with me the report sould be on in the week.

Hi Swissboy
.......Bear with me the report sould be on in the week.

Looking forward to it. Meanwhile, may we already know whether there were still Sooty Falcons around? The one I now have on my avatar is from Ras Muhammed, but I think that was sheer luck that I got some decent pictures. No chances with all the other raptors.

Last edited:
@cbutler

No need to 'feel bad' about the Sooty Falcon.
I've lived in Sharm for 10 months and haven't seen one :(

(Doesn't help you, I know,...) :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back