• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ28 Power Switch (1 Viewer)

johnno

Hi All,

I have had my FZ28 for several months now,and as I turn it on,and off, quite a few times during a days shooting,I was wondering just how long the power switch should last.

I realize this is a difficult question,as the camera is reasonably new,but hopefully someone has experience with failed on/off switches,and how long they last.

I could just turn the camera on at the start of each day,and let it go into power saving mode,when its not being used, and then turn off at the end of the days session,
Thats all well,if I remember to turn it off.
However,I sometimes may not use the camera for several days,especially if I am not well.

My main concern with the power saving mode is,if I forget to turn the camera off at the end of the day,and dont use it until several days/many days later,could the battery become so discharged,that it leaks and ruins the camera.

Thanks for any replies.
John

The usage you describe does not sound too different from what I do on my FZ18, and so far, so good. My last (uploaded) picture was labeled P1040567

Niels

The usage you describe does not sound too different from what I do on my FZ18, and so far, so good. My last (uploaded) picture was labeled P1040567

Niels

Hi Niels,
Many thanks for your reply,makes me feel a whole lot better.
Regards.
John

I presume my FZ8 has the same switch. Starting with 1010001, I am now at 1200931. So far no problems with the switch. In fact, I am more worried about the motor that moves the lens in and out. But it still seems to do OK as well. On my much younger FZ28, there is more of a noise when the lens barrel is moving, thus I have less confidence there.

I think my use of the camera(s) is also similar to what you describe.

Last edited:
I presume my FZ8 has the same switch. Starting with 1010001, I am now at 1200931. So far no problems with the switch. In fact, I am more worried about the motor that moves the lens in and out. But it still seems to do OK as well. On my much younger FZ28, there is more of a noise when the lens barrel is moving, thus I have less confidence there.

I think my use of the camera(s) is also similar to what you describe.

Hi Robert,
Many thanks for your reply as well,
I agree the noise of that motor driving the lens in and out does not instill my confidence of an extended life either.

As I said, I am not a great fan of the power save function,but I think its probably the best option,if we are to prevent overworking the motors,and switches etc......I just have to remember to turn the Camera off,at the days end.

My last number is 1030364,if that represents 30,364 pictures, then I have taken a lot more than I thought.

Regards.
John

Last edited:
I actually don't rely on powersawing too much, if I gave that impression, then my apologies. The numbering system is more complicated, I think your number is something like 3362 pictures total.

Niels

I actually don't rely on powersawing too much, if I gave that impression, then my apologies. The numbering system is more complicated, I think your number is something like 3362 pictures total.

Niels

Thanks Niels,
No,It wasn't you who gave me that impression,it was Just me,and my concern re forgetting to turn the Camera off.
Thanks for the info about picture count,3364 sounds a lot more like it.

Regards.
John

.......Thanks for the info about picture count,3364 sounds a lot more like it.

Regards.
John

Same with me, I found it hard to believe that I should have taken in the order of 200000 pictures (not counting individual movie frames). I presume 20000 sounds about right. And I did not feel like trying to start counting anyway.

The folder/file numbering is explained on page 112 in the FZ18 manual. There is up to 999 images per folder, and the number in the middle is the folder number. If using the internal memory (I had forgotten that there should be one?) is folder 0, folder 1 was the first one on the memory card, if I read this correctly.

Niels

The folder/file numbering is explained on page 112 in the FZ18 manual. There is up to 999 images per folder, and the number in the middle is the folder number. If using the internal memory (I had forgotten that there should be one?) is folder 0, folder 1 was the first one on the memory card, if I read this correctly.

Niels

That makes a lot more sense,than what I thought at first,
I would bet,Robert,and I, weren't the only ones confused with the numbering system.

Thanks again Niels.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back