• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twisted image (1 Viewer)

hebog

Have just been handed a pair of old 8x30 Jenoptems with serious double image. Having correcded this on the front concentric rings I find that I have a twisted image. the l/h eye is very slightly clockwise and r/h eye is way out anticlockwise. They are in very good condition with no aparent damage from being droped. The twist was there before I adjusted the double image. Any help from you experienced guys woul be appreceated.

Luca said:
uh, take them to a repair shop?
They are only worth around £40, so repair shop is not realy an option, besides i like a chalenge if somebody can point me in the right direction.

hebog said:
They are only worth around £40, so repair shop is not realy an option, besides i like a chalenge if somebody can point me in the right direction.

Sounds like the prisms need to be adjusted. In my experience this is tricky for a non-professional to fix.

hebog said:
They are only worth around £40,

From what you describe, it sounds like they are worth 0.99, but i understand.
Don't move the 4 prisms, you'll never put them back properly. Maybe turn that thing into two monoculars of sorts?

This condition is called "lean" or rotational error. It happens when the long axes of the two halves of the Porro cluster are not at a perfect 90 degree angle. Possibly the prisms were jarred loose at some point. Fixing it requires removing the eyepieces and objectives. Presumably at least one part of the prism cluster will have come unglued so that only the metal strap is holding it in place. The prisms need to be repositioned by sighting a reference vertical like the edge of a door through the prisms. Then the cluster needs to be reglued with epoxy. You'll then need to recollimate the objectives. Piece of cake. :))

Luca said:
From what you describe, it sounds like they are worth 0.99, but i understand.
Don't move the 4 prisms, you'll never put them back properly. Maybe turn that thing into two monoculars of sorts?
Since they are basicaly scrap, I may pull them apart to see whats in there. Thanks for your replys.

henry link said:
This condition is called "lean" or rotational error. It happens when the long axes of the two halves of the Porro cluster are not at a perfect 90 degree angle. Possibly the prisms were jarred loose at some point. Fixing it requires removing the eyepieces and objectives. Presumably at least one part of the prism cluster will have come unglued so that only the metal strap is holding it in place. The prisms need to be repositioned by sighting a reference vertical like the edge of a door through the prisms. Then the cluster needs to be reglued with epoxy. You'll then need to recollimate the objectives. Piece of cake. :))
Like you said a piece of cake, will have 6 or 7 beers before I start, will go and get the hamer and chisel right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back