• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird visiting my garden - what is it??? (1 Viewer)

Afternoon all,

I have a new bird that visits my garden every day, No one can identify it. I live surrounded by arable fields in suffolk. The old boys and farmers from the village have seen it about the place this year they have never seen it before either and have no idea what it is. It arrived about two weeks ago. I haven't been able to get a photo as yet will keep trying. here's the description.
It is cadburys chocolate brown (all over).
The size of a pigeon (ish) not fat.
Jay like in appearance but with a slightly more bulbous head.
now the interesting bit, when walking about there is no other colour just dark brown but when it opens its tail to fly it has a white rectangle in the middle of the tail.
It was pecking about in the grass eating the insects similar manner as the wood peckers. (it is much larger than that).

Any clues much appreciated.

Thanks all.:t:

Could it be a dodgy coloured Crow or Jackdaw? They often seem to be seen in funny brownish colours.

Errr .... This is a Nutcracker about 12 Inches in length

Attachments

• 550px-Spotted_Nutcracker[1].jpg
    550px-Spotted_Nutcracker[1].jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 322
I think we're all missing the obvious,

Colour = Cadbury's chocolate brown
Size = pigeon(ish)

These and other features suggested lead to the obvious conclusion that it is a Cadbury's 400g (substantially bigger than most british woodpeckers) Whole Nut Chocolate Bar.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?num=...=136&tbnw=200&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,i:67

And not a Nutcracker. (Although both share a roughly rectangular glass-shaped white bit, the chocolate bar only shows extensive spotting when it's been left on the shelf a few years too long).

Just to clarify!

1. No not a hoaxer.
2. not got vivid spots as in picture however paler mottled ones ish. Mostly dark brown though.
3. Cant get a photo at mo will keep trying its in my MIL garden and a couple of gardens in the village they are not so good with cameras! Old folks!
4. the white bit in the tail I would say is very much like you placed a white cigarette packet in the middle from the top of the tail hardly visible when hopping about but quite clear when it takes off.
5. We do live in the country and have done our whole lives. It is not a pigeon, woodpecker jay or Brown rook or crow etc we have hundreds of native birds around here this one is different that is why we asked. - DOH!
Is a Nutcracker rare this time of year?
If it was indeed cadburys chocolate it wouldn't stand a chance! LOL

Thanks

1046348.jpg

This is a juvenile nutcracker....note all over brown and incomplete spotting on body.

Similar or not?

I think this is it

Right then it would seam it is halfway betwen this one and the one above so i assume a young one?

If is loading up with food from under the oak trees and it spends alot of time under a monkey tail tree.

I will check the cctv at the house to see if has been caught on that and will keep trying to get a photo over the weekend.

It has been in gardens in the village (otherside of a field from MIL) wil ask them to look out for it and try to get a photo.

Back when I get a picture. :eat:

This smells distinctly like a wind-up... Just to play the game, though, any escapes anyone can think of that fit the bill?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back