• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Even newer mystery Bird Quiz (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Five photos of five species.

One quiz - one piece of advice; give themn all a second look before guessing....

Two clues; 1.they are all birds 2. they were all taekn by me. (Don't want to make it too easy).

Enjoy!

Sean

Attachments

• newmystery1.jpg
    newmystery1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 230
  • newmystery2.jpg
    newmystery2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 235
  • newmystery3.jpg
    newmystery3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 252
  • newmystery4.jpg
    newmystery4.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 231
  • newmystery5.jpg
    newmystery5.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 237
Jane Turner said:
Oh my.. these are corkers..... will have to think!

You, Jane? If you think they are hard, then they really must be. I actually thought they were quite easy this time.

By the way, it is Harry that is the Corker on this forum....

Will be back later to check progress............

Sean

1)Will go with Common Tern
2)Little Stint?
3)Female-type Garganey
4) Seems to be cinnamon tones to the undertail...Isabelline Shrike?
5)Lapland Bunting

Harry

1. common Tern
2 I have loads of candidates for what it isn't.. but none for what it is... those anchor marks look really distinctive, but I can't even settle on a genus!
3 eek a Duck... Blue-winged Teal... ugh
4. Well its Great or Southern Grey... will go for latter but its guesswork
5. Bunting spp.. its got white wing bars that should rule out Reed and hasn't got the rusty flanks of a Rustic... I'm guessing you haven't got pics of Yellow-browed Bunting! So Lapper.. but don't like the legs much..

not confident

and I'll have a lash for Temminck's Stint.. though quite what it is doing that deep in the water I don't rightly know.

Harry could well be right with the Duck... I dithered for a bit then picked BWT on dull face

as I said before.. officially stumped! Can't think of a wader that has that scap pattern.... trying to decide if apparent mantly lines are an artefact!

1) a tern
2) if Jane doesn't know it i've got no chance
3) garganey!!!!!!!!! (this is the only one i would venture a species on, and is probably wrong
4) 'grey' shrike (although maybe red-backed/isabelline)
5) LBJ

honest first impressions were roseate tern, little stint, garganey, great grey shrike and reed bunting

James

1 Roseate tern
2 Baird’s Sandpiper
3 Garganey
4 Red Backed Shrike
5 Lapland Bunting

One of these must be right...

Hi Sean,
No.2 may well be a juv Stilt Sandpiper, think I can make out some warm tones on what's visible from the ear coverts and the coverts etc look odd for Little Stint on reflection.
Harry

To help or further confuse everyone.. here is a close up of the feather patterns on ~that~ wader...

Still have no idea what it is! Semi P looked good till it failed to have a contrasty cap!

Attachments

• wader.JPG
    wader.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 138
1. Common Tern
2. Calidris ssp - from odd Little Stint over Least Sand to Stilt Sand
3. Blue Winged Teal (first look: Garganey, but it hasn't any white ABOVE the eye)
4. Southern Great Grey S. (with very white underparts...?)
5. Lappland Bunting

I shouldn't worry too much about head pattern on Curlew Sand from this angle. These two shots are of the same bird. From directly behind the head looks plain. The mystery wader looks OK for juv Curlew Sand to me.

Attachments

• curlew_sand_20aug03_420d.jpg
    curlew_sand_20aug03_420d.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 138
  • curlew_sand_20aug03_420a.jpg
    curlew_sand_20aug03_420a.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 134
After taking the recommended second look I'll go with the following (initial thoughs before looking at anything else in brackets):

1. Common Tern (Common Tern)
2. Curlew Sandpiper (err...)
3. Garganey (Garganey)
4. Great Grey Shrike (Great/Southern GS)
5. Lapland Bunting (Lapland Bunting)

Today's winners are...................

No - I'll let you all decide for yourselves.

Here are today's answers.

It is fascinating to watch people talk themselves in and out of identifications - just like it is in the field sometimes!!

The next lot will be along in a little while......

Sean

Attachments

• newmystery1-solution.jpg
    newmystery1-solution.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 164
  • newmystery2-solution.jpg
    newmystery2-solution.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 196
  • newmystery3-solution.jpg
    newmystery3-solution.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 189
  • newmystery4-solution.jpg
    newmystery4-solution.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 183
  • newmystery5-solution.jpg
    newmystery5-solution.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 192
Come on, play fair! If somebody gets them alright I'll be very impressed!

1. Common Tern
2. Bairds Sandpiper
3. Garganey
4. Great Grey Shrike
5. Lapland Bunting

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back