• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit spp, Worlds End , Wales ,UK , in May (1 Viewer)

As strange as this may sound. I'm not part of Bird Forum staff. I have no idea who any other contributors of this thread are.

However John, you know who I am and where I go birding. So if there is anything to say, please say it to my face.

If you are staff you should remain independant in view even if you are friends with the person involved and if they make abusive remarks you should not openly support them.

Sound like Birdforum rules are bullshit........ I will tell people to F... off now as and when I wish

Come on John, simmer down a little pal, you're bringing Shakespeare's County into disrepute! :eek!: There's more to life than getting pernickerty over pipits or wacko' over wigeon! ;)

My favourite BF thread was the one where JT overdid the speed and had to be coaxed out of a bush in Chinatown gibbering about Olivaceous Warblers. This one is good too tho!

Rock smashes tree
Tree drinks water
Water floods meadow
Meadow over a period of time over grows rock

I finally have a foolproof method for IDing Pipits:smoke: Now my memory is going. Has someone else devised this?

"I have no idea who any other contributors of this thread are."

And this is no longer true, because I know Mr Archer is. Anyway, I'm off to bed.

You may be on to something there :t:

Rock, Paper, Scissors was expanded to Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock to reduce the chance of a tie from 1/3 to 1/5. Going further, we could reduce the chance of a tie to 1/7...

Water, Meadow, Rock, Tawny, Tree, JHMikeBassettEnglandManager, Morninglight

Water floods Meadow
Meadow sits on Rock
Rock crushes Tawny
Tawny writhes on car - oops, sorry, my mind drifted a bit there ;)

Having derailed slightly, I can see a logical problem with the final head-to-head;
JHMikeBassettEnglandManager beats everything
Morninglight beats everything

Not sure how I'll resolve that

Whilst I agree there similarities between Morninglight and JHBertieBassettsLiquoriceAllsorts, they're clearly not the same person. Only one of them appears to be completely bat s**t crazy for example.

cheers
martin

Rock smashes tree
Tree drinks water
Water floods meadow
Meadow over a period of time over grows rock

I finally have a foolproof method for IDing Pipits:smoke: Now my memory is going. Has someone else devised this?

JHDraytonbassettpits - were you trying to make a point at the start of this thread regarding some people trying just a little too hard in finding differences in separate populations of a species? Ie, a sarcastic "it must be Icelandic as it has a supercilium?"

Personally I think it is a good thing to keep on learning etc but perhaps ocassionally we try to find differences when perhaps they do not exist.

Cheers,

Andy.

Omg What Have I Started

As the original poster of the Pipit ID query I do feel partly responsible for what has since degenerated into a slanging match.
Please can we now call a halt and get back to doing what we all love .
I will in future have to rely on reference books as my fast fading health will not survive another furore

Thanks to all and good birding

Abional, please do not let the actions of one or two individuals deter you from posting your I D questions. We will be vigilant watching where these troublemakers post their replies.

We've got some excellent I D geniuses on BF so please, as I mentioned, do not let the actions of a couple keep you from utilizing the brains of this section ;)

As the original poster of the Pipit ID query I do feel partly responsible for what has since degenerated into a slanging match.
I will in future have to rely on reference books as my fast fading health will not survive another furore

Please carry on posting as it's not your fault in any way. There is some great knowledge on here - tap into it. All the best.

You may be on to something there :t:

Rock, Paper, Scissors was expanded to Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock to reduce the chance of a tie from 1/3 to 1/5. Going further, we could reduce the chance of a tie to 1/7...

Water, Meadow, Rock, Tawny, Tree, JHMikeBassettEnglandManager, Morninglight

Water floods Meadow
Meadow sits on Rock
Rock crushes Tawny
Tawny writhes on car - oops, sorry, my mind drifted a bit there ;)

Having derailed slightly, I can see a logical problem with the final head-to-head;
JHMikeBassettEnglandManager beats everything
Morninglight beats everything

Not sure how I'll resolve that

Whilst I agree there similarities between Morninglight and JHBertieBassettsLiquoriceAllsorts, they're clearly not the same person. Only one of them appears to be completely bat s**t crazy for example.

cheers
martin

Gotta love a Sheldonism Martin. I should clear up that it wasn't aimed at anyone on the thread. I remain cac at Pipits unless it's fairly obvious. As a novice I've had valuable ID advice from both John and Chris. Chris' sense of humour regularly makes me laugh on Ruffled Feathers as well.

Rich

Please don't do that Albional. What has occurred here is not, by any means, a regular occurrence. If you look through any other thread you will see that people are treated with courtesy and there is always an effort made to give the correct ID with as complete an explanation as possible. I hope my behaviour has'nt played a part in your decision. If it has, then I ask you to give the rest of the members on here a chance to prove how friendly and helpful Birdforum is.

It's nothing to do with your pipit post albional, it could have happened on any I.D posted on here. With a recent article on Birding frontiers about Meadow Pipits with superciliunm and yellowish wash in Autumn saying they were none British breeders, I put this forward however Roy suggested this is not the case and so others joined in on the debate.
Chris then made some offensive remarks whilst doing so and now has apologised.

Abional, please do not let the actions of one or two individuals deter you from posting your I D questions. We will be vigilant watching where these troublemakers post their replies.

We've got some excellent I D geniuses on BF so please, as I mentioned, do not let the actions of a couple keep you from utilizing the brains of this section ;)
Agree 100%. I hope you continue to post Abional; in the very unlikely event anything like this should happen again, please report the post and we will be alerted to what is happening if we haven't already spotted it.

Keep posting ID queries :t:

BF is a wonderful forum, frequented by some weird and wonderful people ;)

'Omg what have I started' would be a great Ruffled Feathers thread...be thankful you didn't start this, this or this ;)

cheers
martin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back