• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why so many "ID this bird" posts? (1 Viewer)

Theres a funny kind of snobbery that exists in the birding world. Same with people who drive and how they can be with learner drivers. Short memories? Ive seen threads that refer to how some people tend to spend most of their time commenting in the gallery and not within the main forum area (i must/ can be guilty of that) What exactly is the problem? Why do peoples preferences have to be challenged all the time around here? For the sheer amount of people that are members here at Birdforum, it amazes me at how few comments seem to be registered on pictures in the gallery. Yet its a personal choice.

Regarding IDing questions, please remember this site is visited and used by people of all ages. Research nowadays doesnt need to be restricted to the famous 'birders guides'. The internet is used too, ya know..... ;)

So chill and have fun. Live and let live..... :)

Tom

Its one thing someone relying on a quick answer here rather than opening a field guide and finding the bird they've just photographed with a flashy scope and digi camera - but when requests to ID zoo birds are placed on the forum i think a certain limit has been reached. Look down at the rail just by your waist, no this side of the wire mesh... there - that's a description of the bird that your looking at, now read the caption and move on to the next cage. :h?:
Come on mods - a polite explanation to the poster and remove the post?
James

i agree that birdwatching is just a hobby/leisure activity for many.

but still i feel that just "shooting & posting" is wrong. People should be birdwatchers first, & photographers second.

regards,
Job

jobkjoseph said:
but still i feel that just "shooting & posting" is wrong. People should be birdwatchers first, & photographers second.

Why? You may think that it is intrinsically better to study birds and become a better birdwatcher, but, no offence, that's your opinion. Surely any interest in birds, however trivial, however secondary to another interest, should be encouraged. Maybe that encouragement will strengthen that interest, maybe it won't. But threads like this just add to the common and too often correct image of birders as unfriendly and intolerant of any one who knows less than they do. We all have our own ways of birding and we all think our own ways are the best. I would hope, though, that we all share a concern for the protection of wild birds and anything we can do to lessen ignorance and indifference on the part of non-birders, or encourage new birders, should be part of that. If someone else's ID requests seem silly to you, fine. Ignore them as lots of people have suggested. What good does it do to moan about them? How many people have been put off by this thread already, I wonder?

Of course, that's just my opinion.

crispycreme said:
Look how quiet this forum became since this thread started.
This and the one that preceded it in the RF forum. Yeah, Matt, I'd noticed that, too. My optimistic side hopes that it's due to people doing more research before asking for ID help. My pessimistic side hopes it isn't due to people being intimidated into not asking out of fear of ridicule or criticism.

HelenC said:
Why? You may think that it is intrinsically better to study birds and become a better birdwatcher, but, no offence, that's your opinion. Surely any interest in birds, however trivial, however secondary to another interest, should be encouraged. Maybe that encouragement will strengthen that interest, maybe it won't. But threads like this just add to the common and too often correct image of birders as unfriendly and intolerant of any one who knows less than they do. We all have our own ways of birding and we all think our own ways are the best. I would hope, though, that we all share a concern for the protection of wild birds and anything we can do to lessen ignorance and indifference on the part of non-birders, or encourage new birders, should be part of that. If someone else's ID requests seem silly to you, fine. Ignore them as lots of people have suggested. What good does it do to moan about them? How many people have been put off by this thread already, I wonder?

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Exactly! ........ :clap:

I think the "can you ID this bird" threads are one of the best things on BirdForum for several reasons.

It is one of the more common introductory posts by new members and the welcome they do or do not get can make a huge difference in their further involvement and enjoyment as many have mentioned.

These posts can be fun challenges to more long-term, experienced or learning members. The responses help all of us to learn more.

Anyone considering posting a message asking for help in identifying a bird in a photo should feel welcome to post the message - I personally take this opportunity if you are such a person to encourage you and invite you to post your photo and your question.

I think the few whose messages in this thread may have discouraged anyone are not representative of most here. This is a very helpful and welcoming group except for a few curmudgeons! And even those who sometimes seem cranky are usually very nice and helpful! Barbara

Well said Barbara and Helen :t:

Bird watching means different things to different people and whatever your slant there will always be people of different levels of experience. No one should be knocked for asking for a bit of help. If everyone was an expert then forums like this would be pretty quiet.

Katy Penland said:
This and the one that preceded it in the RF forum. Yeah, Matt, I'd noticed that, too. My optimistic side hopes that it's due to people doing more research before asking for ID help. My pessimistic side hopes it isn't due to people being intimidated into not asking out of fear of ridicule or criticism.
Absolutely, KC.

With Spring about to start, and the migrants on the move, the next couple of months should be the most active time of the year for this forum. We should all be combing our hair, brushing our teeth, and putting on our best behavior in preparation for newcomers who are just discovering a Mockingbird for the first time and wanting to learn what it is.

Of course, the fact that my first thread here was an attempt to divine a troubling kingbird shouldn't deter anyone with less vexing questions. ;)

(Tropical Kingbird it turned out - a rarity in my neck of the woods. And it was the willing and eager participation of the folks here that really drew me in and hooked me on birding specifically and nature in general. You guys know who you are...many thanks.)

Be you an absolute beginner and posting a classic pose shot of a House Sparrow or a veteren posting a fleeting shot of a rear end of a Locustella, what's the harm? We're all beginners to a certain degree and all able to teach to a certain degree more. More than happy to share my expertise if I have it, welcome to accept it if I don't!

Jos Stratford said:
Be you an absolute beginner and posting a classic pose shot of a House Sparrow or a veteren posting a fleeting shot of a rear end of a Locustella, what's the harm? We're all beginners to a certain degree and all able to teach to a certain degree more. More than happy to share my expertise if I have it, welcome to accept it if I don't!

well said Jos, I think some of us forget that we were once beginners !

Phil

Jos Stratford said:

It's quite clear that many of the 'what is this?' posts are from non-birders who may not even possess a fieldguide but have found BirdForum by a web search. An encouraging ID may just persuade them to take a greater interest. A lot of others are beginners who want some assistance. Happens all the time with me and when they are told the ID they are often puzzled by how the field guide and the real bird don't look the same, because its at a differnet time of year, in different light or just plain in their garden

I really think that criticising poeple for showing an interest is completely counter-productive.

Shall we criticise the ID competitions as well - after all the posters already KNOW what the bird is? That's even worse <big grin>

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back