• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm thinking of Olympus, but I need help. (1 Viewer)

Illapa

Hello everybody, I have the following plan of photography, I would like to know if you think it is good.

First, buy an Olympus E520 or 620 with the Zuiko 300mm lens .
Second, buy the Sigma 500mm lens for Olympus.
Third, next year, changing the body by an E3.

An E3 is on the same level as a Canon D40?
I want to have a good camera and lenses for bird photography.

I greatly appreciate your comments.
Thanks so much!!

Steve Sánchez

No experience with Olympus. E3 spec looks good. Just a word of caution: not all Sigma lenses come with the 3/4 fromat Olympus mount, best is to check for availability first. (may be Sigma will make more Olympus mount later though).

would imagine by the third year there will be an E-3 successor or two on the street with way more bells and whistles to think about,,

in lieu of the 300 you may want to consider the 90-250 and add an Oly 1.4 TC,, know it will cost ya a stop but the lens "may" allow you more versatility if you venture outside the bird photos and is also exceptionally sharp,,

have not handled the 620 but the reports are good so far,, have you checked for a pre-owned E3 as I have seen some very good buys on the 4/3 forums,, they may be dropping a tad more when the E-30 really starts selling,,

can't say much for the Sigma and Olys,, tried two 150mm f2.8 on my E-3 and neither of them would focus proper,, Sigma's answer was to send them my camera and the lens so they could correct,, B&H photo accepted both lens back and gave a refund,, that has been my end of trying Sigma,,

Derry

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back