• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher, Arenal Obs Lodge, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
This flycatcher at the Observatory Lodge over Christmas.
No song but repeatedly flying to catch insects,
Any advice/comments welcome
bw
alan

Attachments

• DSC_1793.jpg
    DSC_1793.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_1796.jpg
    DSC_1796.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_1803.jpg
    DSC_1803.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 58
It does look good for a Least Flycatcher but they are quite rare in CRica. Can this be a Yellow-bellied Fly instead?
I've been fooled a few times in Costa Rica with very pale looking wintering ones and this bird apparently shows an all pale lower mandible. Time for the Empidonax experts I guess.

I agree with Empidonx sp. for this, but ugh, Empid ID from photos, however good, is not for me....

However, I suppose somebody who really knows his or her stuff could probably work it out (or, at least, narrow it down a lot) based on wing formula (& a generous dose of Pyle).

I have looked at the field guides of Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama for illustrations of wintering Empids.
I also saw a few Least Flycatchers in Honduras in November and they are fresh in my mind, and I feel drawn to that species for this photo. I also saw Hammond's and that was a bit different. I've seen the other Empids in the past in Central/South America. They are a fiendishly difficult group to separate.
I'm no expert, but the white eye-ring, contrasting grey upper and white underneath, noticeably short primary projection, impression of 'smallness', and that distinctive 'facial expression' give me a strong 'feel' for it.

That's my two pennyworth if it's any help.

The primary projection looks quite long, so Least is certainly ruled out and Yellow-bellied might be. The sharp contrast of pale wing bars to blackish wing rules out the smaller western species (as does the long primary projection). The complete eye rings should rule out Willow, leaving Alder and Acadian in play. The bill seems a wee bit short for Acadian, but I haven't seen numbers of that species for a while, so I'm happy with Empidonax sp.

here are a couple more of the same individual. I'm not sure they help but maybe some extra detail
alan

Attachments

• DSC_1884.jpg
    DSC_1884.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_1798.jpg
    DSC_1798.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 13
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back