• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

speculative comparison of apo/non apo scopes (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
greetings all,i've been thinking about different scope combinations and started wondering about which eye pieces might provide the best view with different apo/non apo combinations.
let us imagine we have an apo 77 televid with 32+wide angle lense lined up next to a non apo 77 televid but with a 20+wide angle lense.
which scope would provide the brightest/best view?.there is quite a saving with the non apo scope but would using a lower power ie 20+ wide angle eyepiece have a sufficient advantage over the apo version with the higher mag eyepiece and hence make the non apo set up a cheaper and better choice?.the trade off is of course lower power but i have come to prefer using my zoom down to 20mag [brighter wider views].
the same comparison could also be made of the smaller televid models and other scopes that offer apo/non apo options,ie swarovski and opticron.

matt

Matt,
The way i see the difference in apo/hd vs. non apo/hd scopes is like looking at something through a wee bit grimy window and then looking at same object outside in the 'fresh air'.
Does that make sense to you? It's the way i've felt about this difference for a number of years looking through different models.
Tom.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back