• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here comes the sp590uz (1 Viewer)

Looks interesting, but what happened to the right side of the camera? Looks like it's been chopped off! ;)

Unfortunately the crammed 12Mpixel into the sensor. I fear that will make noise reduction a necessity with the problems that produce for feather definition ...

I am afraid most other brands also will keep on adding pixels to the sensor :C

Niels

That is impressive magnification though for a 15 ounce camera. So far as I know, 676 mm is about 150 mm (about three binocular powers) more than the nearest superzoom competitor. Coupled with the 1.7x tele-converter, that gives you 1149 mm of magnification, which is about the same as a scope at 20x. Such cameras could give you digiscoping equivalent magnification power without the scope. Jim

My friend has checked out the price:
Camera with 1.7X($150) and adaptor($30) comes to aound $710 US. Adaptor not available yet. One thing I don't like is that it uses XD card.

My friend has checked out the price:
Camera with 1.7X($150) and adaptor($30) comes to aound $710 US. Adaptor not available yet. One thing I don't like is that it uses XD card.

Is that the only option? that might make it a non-starter for me. I have a Fuji with a xD card, and that has been one of my main points of irritation since I bought it.

Niels

For the pocket sized point and shoot market place which is where most have been sold, they are ideal.

Most 'serious' Olympus cameras have used Compact Flash with initially Smart Media and later xD as a back up or upgrade from simpler units). Compact flash being faster to write to, more capacity and easier to manage under pressure.

The 'problem' seems to be in the cross over area where Olympus use xD to help minimise camera size and provide an upgrade path for simpler camera users (better than having to buy new memory). However I suspect that Olympus don't think that this is a problem for the majority of its purchasers, market share will show if they are right!

xD probably also has benefits in terms of patent royalties for Olympus (apparently the original reason why Nikon decided to change the direction it focussed camera lenses compared to everyone else)

Firstly, at least when I bought my Fuji the xD definitely was for eXtra Dollars. I don't know about now, as I am not going to upgrade that card.

Secondly, at the same time, xD had serious limitations in size of the card that could be purchased; about 8x behind the CF cards, about 4x behind the SD cards. A quick look in Amazon did not find any cards larger than 2 gb, which will not last that long with 12 Mpix photos (unless they have increased the jpg compression so much that the quality of the photos suffer). For my Panasonic FZ18, I have a 8gb SDHC card ...

Thirdly, at the time, transfer time to the card was severely behind the alternatives.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back