• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The New Olympus E-620 (1 Viewer)

Hi Cristian. I was reading about that on dpreview.com where they have a good preview of it. It actually sounds a pretty good camera, although the Olympus range is getting a bit confusing at the moment. It sounds as if the 5** models will eventually disappear and be replaced by the 6** range.

The 620 has 12 megapixels, a larger viewfinder with the information at the bottom instead of at the side, an improved and swivelling lcd, seven autofocus points instead of three and the latest, improved sensor used in the E-30. It is smaller and lighter than the E-520. The pricing is quite competitive too. It is hard to see where the E-30 fits into the range now and the E-3 needs an upgrade too if it is to remain the flagship model.

All in all it sounds a good new product by Olympus but where are those 400mm lenses?

Edit. RAH pointed out that I had incorrectly stated that the E-620 has nine focus points instead of the seven which it does have. I have now amended the text above.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron, yes Oly is getting interesting,, for so long a period they had very few releases of new bodies and now we are seeing them more frequent,,

hopefully the upgrades are loaded with enough new features to make them worthy of a new purchase,,

Derry

It sounds as if the 5** models will eventually disappear and be replaced by the 6** range.
I agree. The E-630 looks like what an E-530 would be, although I guess you could argue that an E-530 would not have the swiveling LCD but only just the 12MP sensor.

Regardless, the E-630 looks like a really great camera. When I bought my E-520 8 months ago, I was really wishing it had a swiveling LCD like my old Canon S5 superzoom, and now it does! (Doesn't help me much, of course).

Note that the 630 only has 7 focus points, not the 9 in the E30. No big deal, IMHO. Actually, I always just use 1. For wildlife potography, seems like that is all you would want or need. Nice to have the capability of extra points, I suppose.

I agree. The E-630 looks like what an E-530 would be, although I guess you could argue that an E-530 would not have the swiveling LCD but only just the 12MP sensor.

Regardless, the E-630 looks like a really great camera. When I bought my E-520 8 months ago, I was really wishing it had a swiveling LCD like my old Canon S5 superzoom, and now it does! (Doesn't help me much, of course).

Note that the 630 only has 7 focus points, not the 9 in the E30. No big deal, IMHO. Actually, I always just use 1. For wildlife potography, seems like that is all you would want or need. Nice to have the capability of extra points, I suppose.
I made so many errors in the above post, I figured I'd correct them. For some reason, it won't let me edit it, maybe because someone already made an entry below it? Anyway, here is what I meant to say:

I agree. The E-620 looks like what an E-530 would be, although I guess you could argue that an E-530 would not have the swiveling LCD but only just the 12MP sensor.

Regardless, the E-620 looks like a really great camera. When I bought my E-520 8 months ago, I was really wishing it had a swiveling LCD like my old Canon S5 superzoom, and now it does! (Doesn't help me much, of course).

Note that the 620 only has 7 focus points, not the 11 in the E30. No big deal, IMHO. Actually, I always just use 1. For wildlife potography, seems like that is all you would want or need. Nice to have the capability of extra points, I suppose.

Last edited:
Rah, agree on the number of focus points,, with 11 on my E3 I mostly am using the center dot and then the next most used is the central diamond consisting of the 5 center points,,

I was coping some old photos the other day with the 50mm macro and figured I would give the 11 points a try since I knew the photo was flat/parallel to my focal plane and it made no difference what it actually focused on,, interesting to see what focus square would light up displaying what the camera focused on,, would try it a few times and the camera would even change the focus point to another subject,, Hmmmm

I think the 11 or overkill for way too many of the photographers and often wonder about the 51 on the Nikon's and how many really use them,,

perhaps if our Olys did a better job in C-AF the 11 could be used if it would hand off to the adjacent point while continuing to maintain focus but Olys cannot do that well if at all,,

Derry

I'm eyeing the 620 as a possible replacement for my 510. Looking forward to hearing any owner opinions when it's released.

I'm eyeing the 620 as a possible replacement for my 510. Looking forward to hearing any owner opinions when it's released.
It's been receiving some excellent reviews and comments, more so than the E-30. You can pre-order one from Warehouse Express for £600 (body only) but I don't know what the price will be once it has settled down a bit.

Ron

There is a now a full review of the E-620 on the dpreview site. It gets a Highly Recommended without a 'Just'. :t: They conclude the review by describing it as 'the best Four Thirds DSLR yet'. Blimey! It is now down to less than £500 in the UK for the body only.

Link here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/

Ron

sounds like they were impressed with it, are you tempted to one yet...?

im someone else who has been watching these cameras very close! The e 620 does seem to impress, with olympus having a great history of superb lenses, they certainly should be bringing out a nice prime 400mm. If they could further improve their high iso noise these cameras will be even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back