• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding lens for Nikon D70s (1 Viewer)

Cristian Mihai

Cristian Mihai
A birding mate has a Nikon D70s and he wants to buy a lens for birding. His budget is less than 1000 EUROS. I know nothing about Nikon cameras and lens, so I would like to know your opinions about this issue. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about European price levels, but I would think a used 300 f/4 AF and a Kenko PRO 1.4x TC would be within that budget, while I suspect the AF-S version and a Nikon TC might not be. An alternative would be a Sigma 50-500 used or new depending on prices. If he wants new, maybe a Tamron 70-300?

1000 Euros is about 1500 US Dollars. I think a good lens to begin with would be the Sigma AF 150-500mm f/5-6.3. It costs €743 ($1,069). I haven't used it, but I've heard it's an excellent lens (though a tad bit heavy handheld). I swear I would have that lens if it was within my budget.

You can view photos and discussion on this lens here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma150-500/

Cristian, used a Nikon AF-D300/4 and a Sigma 1.4 on my D70s with success, if you can get one, there built like a tank, exceptionally sharp (better build quality imho than the AF-S) but has an odd 82mm filter size.

Totally agree with Leto. Try to go for a 300 f/4 and any converter. Better than sigma 50-500. This is not a bad lens, but it depends of the unit. Some of them have little front/back focus, and at 500 is not the sharpest lens possible. I have no idea about the price, but I think that 150-500 from Sigma is around this money, and is better than 50-500

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back