• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1 more lens to get (1 Viewer)

marcel steenkist

dear forum,

have my 600 mm nikon, very happy with same
do not have "smaller" carry around lens, except the 70-200 vr 2.8 and a 1.4 tc.

Can affort 1 more lens, like to stay with nikon lenses
cant make up my mind to either buy the 300 mm2.8 or the new 200-400 4.0 VR Zoom

all reviews are raving about those 2 but what would be the most beneficial to get.

pls help

marcel

If birding is your main focus then get the 300f2.8. If you have wildlife ambitions then its hard to beat the 200-400. If you want just a casual walkabout, get the 300mmf4. Nice and light, pin sharp, and you can focus nice and close, for those bugs etc.

Good luck.

Leon

Pretty much agree with Swainsons.
I went for the 300 f2.8 myself-the 200-400 is a nice versatile all round wildlife lens, but size and weight put it close to the 500f4 which for me was a bit of a drawback.
The 300f4 is a nice lens and works well with the 1.4 converter.

With the 300/2.8 at 2.9Kg, the 200-400 3.2Kg and the 500 at 3.8Kgs its a tough call, having used the 300 and played with the 200-400 I wouldn't like to say, the 300 is hand holdable all day and works with the 1.4 and 1.7tc's very well (never tried the 2.0) but the person I know that has a 200-400 has his permanently mated to the 1.4 and also hand holds it all day i guess 300 grams isn't worth to much consideration. Both are excellent lenses and give excellent results.
With the 70-200 your already in 300mm zone with a 1.4 (close) with the 200-400 your pushing 600mm with a 1.4 so I see your dilemma.

If I had that choice Id probably go for the 200-400, offers more versatility and doesnt need a TC to get to 400 mm, which is the gap your trying to fill.
You'd end up with a 200mm no tc a 400mm no tc and a 600mm no tc cant get much better than that :eek:)

I'm not up on my Nikon lenses but are either of the lenses mentioned redesigned optically or does the II just refer to the second generation VR system?

Having just returned from an holiday where all I had was the 70-200 I must admit I was surprised what a superb birding lens it can be. It's perfect for walk about birding as it's very light. I only have a 1.4 and 1.7TC but on the strengths of the pictures I took I am seriously considering buying the 2x TC. That would cover you up to 400mm leaving a gap between 400mm to 600mm. I'm not sure that it's a gap I'd be too worried about really so if I were you I would make the cheaper investment and buy the 1.7 and 2.0TC's, both which could also extend the reach on the 600mm too ( albeit without good AF but still useful)
cheers Dave

It,s a hard one, they both appeal to me, I,ll sleep over it, the 600 is so heavy, I dont think i can handle another heavyweight like the 200-400, maybe the 300 then, see I,m so confused, at 16.42 I posted " maybe the 200-400 then"

appreciate the comments guys!!

300 grams between the 300 and 200-400 isn't worth worrying about, hardly heavy weights and 2Kgs lighter that your 600!!

I guess you are right, not sure if it,s all birds i want to shoot all the time, but if i branch out into more general wildlife i guess the zoom is the one to go for
and allows for more versatility i suppose
marcel

I guess you are right, not sure if it,s all birds i want to shoot all the time, but if i branch out into more general wildlife i guess the zoom is the one to go for
and allows for more versatility i suppose
marcel

That's were the 70-200 will be really useful as the 300mm can have too much reach for big animals !
The 300mm is my favourite lens but I'm not sure I would have bought it if I already had the 70-200.
I have never tried the 200-400 but I have seen some fabulous pictures. There is still the rumoured 80-400 f5.6 but you can achieve that just by buying the 2.0TC !
cheers Dave

Marcel,

You basically have part of same kit as myself, I did have the 300mm 2.8mm but it’s in a permanent state of being borrowed, which I seemed to have agreed somehow.

Anyway the 600mm is as you say is very heavy, I mainly used it with a very old Gitzo aluminium tripod and Wimberley head, so again I’m increasing what I carry. I can’t carry another lens with this set-up, others might be able.

I love this tripod it’s bomb proof, I have the lighter carbon version for the other lenses.

Just as a side thought you might start thinking as I am of going down the 4/3rd road, purely on the basis of just carrying a camera around for those shots which interest you.

It is a minefield I know, but Nikon announced they are planning something; it could be good it could be bad as always with Nikon. But it might be just worth waiting until they reveal their plans. These cameras will struggle to get the Willow Warbler at 40ft away, but with the 600mm is not that much easier?

do you think the 2.8 aperature in the 300mm is an argument in this comparison?

I presume you mean 300f2.8 vs 70-200mm f2.8, so the answer is no. You will probably find that you aim to use somewhere around f8 most of the time anyway.
As they are both f2.8 they are both very fast to AF.
Of course the 300mm will always have that extra reach but to achieve other than the 300mm mark you always have to stick another TC on ( or take one off). The zoom flexibility of the 70- 200 ( or 140-400 with the 2.0 TC) is lovely to have on occasion.
I can't believe I am arguing against my favourite lens, the 300f2.8 but unless you buy another TC you will only achieve 420mm ( at f4) with your current set up so you would need to consider buying the 1.7 or 2.0TC anyway.( and I believe the 2.0 is better than the 1.7 too)
As you stand now, the 2.0TC will cost £450, to buy the 300mm plus another TC £5000+.
Of course, budget might not be a problem for you but from my perspective I would buy the 2.0TC which will also work on the 600mm ( just, I tried it on my 500mm) and hang on to the rest of the cash and , as Pe'rigin suggests , see what develops.
cheers Dave

Hi Marcel,

Rioja is absolutely correct it’s a lovely lens. Far be it for me to damping your expectations, if you can afford it then do get it. What I was writing about last week was that you would have the identical system as myself. There are pitfalls with having this number of lenses – which to use or carry, etc. I count myself very lucky indeed to be able to own these and similar.

As you have pointed out in your post there are weight and portability problems,
The 600mm is OK for short distances, but anything approaching 4-5 miles and you do feel it. Other people don’t have this problem and are capable of carrying this weight.

You will attract attention to yourself especially in a public hide. I like talking to people if they are interested in a). The birds, b) Photography. But on the odd occasion you’ll get the ‘Canon’ nutter who just wants to argue about the brands. Stability can be a problem in this situation with people moving about, and of course the scornful look from people that you are taking up too much room.

I don’t use the 2TC on the 600mm, I stick to the 1.4TC. Never used the 1.7TC.

In the end of the day, it’s your money and what makes you happy is the correct decision.

I can’t really advise you on the ‘mirror less’ 4/3rd system, as I’m confused as 99.9% of the rest of the world. It’s like going back to the 70s when Olympus launched the OM-1, with the successful Bailey adverts. Back then we all thought we wanted smaller lighter cameras. It seems to be happening all again, this time with all the manufacturers getting in on the act. There doesn’t seem to be any clear thinking from any of the manufacturers yet.

I’ve had a go with the Sony Nex, Panasonic GH2 and PEN 1. Image wise they’re OK, the Pen was a bit disappointing.

The problem I see is still the same – the sensor, and with this new design it looks like we will get new mounts, which means a whole lot of new lenses.

I am convinced that manufacturers have the determination to advance this market sector. Which one will come out top, I don’t have a clue!

thks for that,

am getting the 300 mm 2.8 lens, made decision

my kit then:
Nikon 3Ds
35-70 F3.5
50 mm F1.4
105 mm macro F2.8
TC 1.4
70-200 F2.8 zoom
300 mm F2.8 (on it,s way!)
600 mm F4
gitzo carbon fibre tripod
Wimberly head
SB 900 Flash
Remote wireless control

cant think of anything else for bird/wildlife photography, except may be a Nikon D4/D4x/D4s whenever or whatever is coming out in next few months

marcel

Marcel,
I like the D7000 as backup for the D3s and you get a 1.5 crop with 16 megs with full HD video with AF. I've posted some photos in the gallery today taken on the 500/4.
But I wouldn't buy a new body yet until we know what's coming.
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back