• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide Recommendation - Watamu Area (1 Viewer)

Chris Galvin

I'm going to be staying at the Turtle Bay Beach Club in October for a week after my safari. I'd like to explore the Arabuko - Sokoke forest & Mida Creek. I would like to be able to get close to and photograph Mangrove Kingfisher, Crab Plover and of course the Scops Owl as well as a whole host of other stuff.

Can anyone recommend a guide? As I am a photographer I'd rather see fewer species very well and photograph them all rather than be on a mad race around ticking everything.

Cheers

Dear Chris,
Since you are staying at Turtle Bay Beach Resort, they do arrange this safaris to the Forest and they normally use spine tail safaris guide. The only man know to this forest with vast experience from a forest guard to a bird guide and even more getting world Recognition Awards towards conservation of the forest and empowering young generation to love their forest as another source of income is David Ngala. I would recommend you give him the work directly rather than passing through the hotel and then he get minimal pay. If you wish so , you would get him on his cell phone number(+254) 0734652610 he would be much happier but I leave that at your own discretion!!!
Hope this will help you!!

Regards,

Hi Chris

I shall be there in 10 days!! I have hired Jonathan Baya who from rep is very good. Will be able to let you know IDC.

David Ngala is the ranger at AS forest.

Spinetail Safaris are also very good but not associated with the hotel any more. The hotel apparently now have their own inhouse guides of which I know nothing re Rep.

So will let you know if that is okay.

Robert

Hi. I used Jonathan Baya last time and have booked him for our return in September. He's very reliable and good company and knows his birds and birding sites in the Watamu area. I also met David Ngala last time and he is probably the most knowledgable guide with respect to Arubuko- Sokoke forest . If it specifically the AS birds you want, then David Ngala is the guide I'd book.
Regards, Bill.

Hi Chris,
I would like to get back to your advise and assure you that even though David Ngala has long been a forest Ranger but now retired as (Robert L Jarvis) makes him up there up in his comments, please be advise he is the one who has led the path of bird watching as a forest ranger in the forest and works for himself with Spine tail safaris as bird guides, The way Robert implies up there is somehow miss leading and all I can say there other guides Like Albert, Willy and Johnathan but all of them are his juniors in bird guiding around the forest. You would like to google his name and get to read what client say about him others are also found on their webpage here http://www.spinetailsafaris.com/guides and you will not compare his ability with the other guides though they are good and his also good humour, All in all am a bird guide in kenya and there were reasons why I did recommend him rather than the others. All you will need to do is to way your best thoughts about the advices given by people in this forum as at the end it you who wants to benefit as well have value of what you may be charged.
wish you good luck!!
Regards

With regard to Joseph's comments, I can only say I was relating what another birder told me so do not have first hand knowledge as to David's status, but I will find out shortly.

Chris, I shall be back from the 16th April.

Joseph is totally correct . David Ngala is the leader of Spinetail safaris and , Albert , Wlly and Jonathan work with him . You are in good hands with them but David is the best . He has just achieved a Disney award for all his work

Mike D in Nairobi

Hi Chris,
I would like to get back to your advise and assure you that even though David Ngala has long been a forest Ranger but now retired as (Robert L Jarvis) makes him up there up in his comments, please be advise he is the one who has led the path of bird watching as a forest ranger in the forest and works for himself with Spine tail safaris as bird guides, The way Robert implies up there is somehow miss leading and all I can say there other guides Like Albert, Willy and Johnathan but all of them are his juniors in bird guiding around the forest. You would like to google his name and get to read what client say about him others are also found on their webpage here http://www.spinetailsafaris.com/guides and you will not compare his ability with the other guides though they are good and his also good humour, All in all am a bird guide in kenya and there were reasons why I did recommend him rather than the others. All you will need to do is to way your best thoughts about the advices given by people in this forum as at the end it you who wants to benefit as well have value of what you may be charged.
wish you good luck!!
Regards

Chris, see my report just submitted. Can recommend Jonathan but make it clear what it is you want to do. David Ngala is retired, he is a great birder but does not have transport as far as I am aware, for anyone to find the Sokoke Scops owl no matter who they are, They will need David Ngala. I did see the owl but it was eventually found after two hours searching in Sokoke Forest by David, who then took us through thick scruib to the roost for two adults and one young. Crab Plover at Mida Creek will be easy, however we went at low tide as according to Jonathan that was better as we could paddle out over the wet sand (in bare feet) to get closer to the Crab Plovers and Sandplovers. I would also add that a safari in Tsavo East is a must and possibly if you can afford it Tsavo West. At Tsavo East we stayed at Sentrim Tsavo East (Tarhi Camp) in a luxury tented bungalow with all mod cons. The camp was in the game park and protected by an electric fence, some other camps like Voi are actually outside the game park.

If you want any more info, pm me.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back