• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 62 APO (1 Viewer)

Gert Corfield

United Kingdom
I became the proud owner of an angled Leica APO 62 scope in July.

I had been using a 77 APO for a few years but was finding the weight of it too much on longer expeditions. As I like to do a lot of walking and birding the 62 is ideal for this given its light weight and compact size so I went for a part ex on the 77.

Using the 32WW – reduced to 26 times on the 62 - the image is amazingly bright and field of view larger ( due to the lower magnification ). Sharpness is superb.

Using the 20 – 60 Zoom ( 16 – 48 on the 62) again there was no real difference maybe slightly darker at top magnification but again due to the lower magnification the image is sharper than at 60x on the 77.

Also depth of field is slightly reduced but not noticeably so.

What impresses me most is the quality of the image for such a small scope and for me its an ideal birding scope for all situations. To date I haven’t missed the 77 at all or the ability to use higher magnification on the zoom.

I bought one this weekend, and I'm chuffed to bits! What a fantastic thing.

I walked into the shop determined to buy the Swarovski ATS80HD, but after extensive testing, try as I might I just couldn't find any reason to spend all that extra money. I much prefer the image in the Leica: it's both warmer AND more contrasty, and as bright as the Swarovski across its zoom range (due to the reduced magnification perhaps).

In use, the focus and zoom controls are like silk compared to the Swaro, and having the focus control on the top of the scope means I can very easily shift while the scope is resting on a beanbag (on a hide window-ledge). This is my favourite way of using the scope - rock-solid at full magnification, without a tripod and with my hands on the controls all the time!

Perhaps the most significant advantage however is simply the size and weight. It fits easily in a small backpack, and I'll be MUCH more likely to take it along on days out, where before I might just have taken binoculars. Fantastic.

I'd strongly recommend that ANYONE considering buying a new, high-end scope should put this wee scope on their list for testing.

Al

Oh!! Im so jealous of both of you. I have been looking at the leica 62 since it was released but I'm afraid it can only be window shopping. My budget doesnt stretch that far but it does look an absolutely splendid piece. Oh well...nearly christmas. Keep your fingers crossed for me wont ya!!

I too bought APO 62 angled at the weekend.

Been testing and deliberating for weeks and decided on bargain priced APO 77 - until last minute! - really think smaller size and weight of 62 will mean more use and therefore better value in the long run - 99% of image quality of 77.

I preferred the Leica image to the Swaro 65 (and the handling) - although I have Swaro 8x32 EL bins.

Tried various eyepieces and went for new 32ww in the end.

Sunday afternoon at RSPB Old Moor Wetland centre was first time out - I am sure that I picked out distant Green Sandpiper (as opposed to Common SP) as a result of new optics!

Anyone been able to find any dealers with stock of the Leica stay on case? - so far I have drawn a blank.

Cheers

Does anyone know whether the Leica APO 62 gives good results with digiscoping? I quite fancy one for the portability, but I might like to try digiscoping sometime and I'm concerned that the objective might be too small.

Steve

steverowe said:
Does anyone know whether the Leica APO 62 gives good results with digiscoping? I quite fancy one for the portability, but I might like to try digiscoping sometime and I'm concerned that the objective might be too small.

Steve

The size of the objective won't be of huge importance to someone in Saudi :t: Northern Europe in winter is another matter though.
Regards,
Andy

Timbo,If Warehouse Express don't have one,try Kay Optical in Morden ,Surrey,where I got mine recently.

Steve,I have taken some reasonable pics using the Apo62 ,so far by only hand holding the camera.I'm sure it will be ok for 'proper' digiscoping,but no doubt more expert opinion will be forthcoming .

I'm not staying in Saudi much longer Andy. A sope will be a little present to myself for the years I've spent here.

Thanks for the info Trevor.

Steve

Re: Leica's stay-on case...

I bought one along with the scope at the weekend, from Viking Optical in Norwich (they were hosting a Leica promotion so I got a good package deal).

NOTE! I tried one which the Leica rep took out of his bag, which was a kind of unusual fit (definitely for the angled 62 according to the label), and had an unusual leather flap thing next to the tripod foot which kind of prevented the hole at the top from meeting up with the focussing controls. It was also about an inche longer than the scope, which I thought was a bit odd.

The one the shopkeeper brought out from his stock however, was a completely different design, exactly the right length, with a velcro closure along the whole length of the scope, and seemed to match the controls perfectly. Also a more khaki colour of green than the one the Leica rep showed me.

I'm pretty sure there must have been some kind of mistake, or something wrong with the case the rep showed, but if I were you I'd check before you buy. The one I bought has part number 42318.

Good luck. Hey - I feel like part of a special club! Look at all these guys wth their huge Swarovskis... Hah!

Al

Thanks for the responses re ever Leica ready case

- Unfortunatley I have tried all those dealers mentioned and all are out of stock at the moment.

Problem is that Leica uk are out also (and have been for months apparantly) so unless a dealer has one stuck away in a cupboard somewhere I will just have to wait a while.

Anybody got any good ideas how to protect from knocks etc in the meantime (other than stuff it in a plastic bag which I did last weekend!)

Cheers

Anybody got any good ideas how to protect from knocks etc in the meantime (other than stuff it in a plastic bag which I did last weekend!)

I got a Skua case for my APO77 which I am happy with.

This is what the APO-77 Skua case looks like.

(The black thing is just a stuck on mount bracket for a Rigel Quickfinder parallax sight for when I use it for astronomy).

Attachments

• 119_1945.jpg
    119_1945.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 372
Redshift said:

"This is what the APO-77 Skua case looks like.

(The black thing is just a stuck on mount bracket for a Rigel Quickfinder parallax sight for when I use it for astronomy)."

Could you show the Quickfinder attached please.
Thanks,

Managed to track down a leica case after phoning 18 different dealers - Wilkinson Cameras in Burnley had one in - Came in post today - seems like an excellent piece of kit.

Thanks to all who tried to help

Cheers

in response to steverowe's inquirey about digiscoping with the leica 62: i have been using mine for digiscoping since feburary and have posted many photos in the gallery on this forum. please feel free to check out the results on my gallery.
cheers,
richard bledsoe

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back