• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN4 Spotting Scope (1 Viewer)

Is the ETX-90 a CAT? I just sold mine (Celestron C5) and bought a Swaro ST-80. The C5 far outperformed the Swaro (with Tele Vue Nagler eyepieces) when it came to distance and brightness. But it was too clumsy and heavy to carry with me. So if you aren't moving around much, and depending on your eyepieces and diagonal, you may have the better option right now.

Hi Widowmaker,

I have a KOWA TSN-4 with a 20-60X lens. I have had mine for about 10 years too. I really like it. I bought mine new from a mail order company. My cost was about $1200 for scope, one eyepiece, case and tripod. I would think the $625 is a good price.

Larry

The only issue is whether or not you might prefer an angled eyepiece (i.e. the TSN 3) - certainly in the UK, TSN3s are far more in demand than TSN4s so far as I can tell and going by what happens on eBay. Resale may be of no concern to you, however. I find the straight eyepiece far less comfortable to use (but I am 6' 4").

I just bought a s'h TSN3 with a 30W objective and have the chance of comparing it directly with my son's new Swarovski 65HD 20-60x zoom. The Kowa clearly produces a truly excellent image that, I really don't think is much bettered by the far more pricey Swarovski - and the Kowa's fiel;d of view is so very wide that you see a good deal more through it.

Since its more distance I'm looking for, are there any eyepieces I can use that will accomplish this and still keep good quality? I'm currently using the William Optics DCL-28, which threads directly to the lens on my CP 4500. Is 28mm the magic number for this setup? I would like to go with something that would thread directly to the CP4500, like the DCL-28, but I dont mind adapting as long as it does not produce significant vignetting.

Wow, I wish I could help, but this is getting too specific for me. Is the DCL-28 a 28 mm eyepiece? If so, there are lots and lots out there that will increase your reach. I have only had experience with Tele Vues and Celestrons, and the Televues definitely cost more and do a better job. For some reason, I REALLY value wide fields of view, so I went with the Naglers. In fact, I'm getting the 1.25 adapter so I can try Nagler eyepieces with my Swaro.

I'm not 100% certain but I'm almost positive that Andy Bright used to have the TSN-4 and he produced some amazing photos from it. I'm not sure whether he's around at the moment, but hopefully he will be able to clarify. To be honest when he sold his I'd have bought it off him if I hadn't already gotten my Kowa 823!

It is my recall that the zoom for the TSN series at high magnifications is not as sharp as the Leica, Swarovski, Nikon, and the Kowa zoom for the 82X series.

Does anyone using the Kowa TSN 3 or 4 with the 20x60 zoom have a perspective on this?

Thanks for the input on the scope but unfortunately it sold last week. Im still on the look for a good flourite lens scope at that price or lower. Until then I am about to take a $100 lesson by ordering an 18mm eyepiece for my current setup from this place

http://www.digitalastronomy.com/html/nikon_coolpix_telescope_eyepie.asp

If anyone knows why I shouldn't, please yell out. Im currently using 28mm. Am I going to be sacrificing anything for the extra magnification?

Bob, I have a KOWA TSN-4 with a 20-60 eyepiece. I do lose sharpness as I go for the higher magnifications. I use the 20 to 30 power in most instances. I have viewed subject through a friends Swarvoski and also seemed to lose sharpness through it at the higher magnifications.

Larry

I haven't used the Kowa zoom with my TSN3 but using my son's Swarovski, I think it fair to say that even at 60x, the sharpness is outstanding.

It's often difficult to judge sharpness with a zoom because the reason for going up to 60x is often because the light is being less than kind - hence what you are magnifying is not the thing you're looking at, but the haze, pollution or whatever that is causing the problem in the first place.

What is certain to me is that a 30x wide eyepiece beats a zoom hands down - Swarovski or otherwise. It is wider and brighter, and that matters a good deal in so many birding circumstances.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back