• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bearded tit - finally! (1 Viewer)

helenol

Just a quick post to say I have finally seen a bearded tit. Two of them.

Was in Norfolk today, (doing other stuff), and decided to pop into Titchwell this morning on the off chance, and there they were, male and female. The male gave excellent views too.

Also hung around further down the road, in the hope of seeing the Montagu harrier, but to no avail. Neither did I see the honey buzzards.

Also hoping to see the Stone curlew at Weeting, again to no avail! Had brilliant views though of the woodlark.

Ah well, I suppose I'd better tootle off back to Norfolk....

Nice one, Helen.

Was lucky to see some at Blacktoft Sands a few years back, although not since.

Little beauties, ain't they!

helenol said:
Just a quick post to say I have finally seen a bearded tit. Two of them.

Was in Norfolk today, (doing other stuff), and decided to pop into Titchwell this morning on the off chance, and there they were, male and female. The male gave excellent views too.

Also hung around further down the road, in the hope of seeing the Montagu harrier, but to no avail. Neither did I see the honey buzzards.

Also hoping to see the Stone curlew at Weeting, again to no avail! Had brilliant views though of the woodlark.

Ah well, I suppose I'd better tootle off back to Norfolk....

missed you by one day was at weeting yesterday and i missedthe stone curlew to and i did see the woodlark to next time maybe we will see them i did see a bearded tit but at lakenheath fen no golden orioles about never mind

Last edited:
Glad you got the beardies - cracking little birds.
I was also at Titchwell today, only had flight views of the beardies, but 6 little gull, one med and a little stint kept me entertained.

Hi H. and nice one with the Beardies, my spouse saw her first ones ever whilst on holiday in Bulgaria in May. Did you hear them calling?

Stewart

B :)

Stuart Watson said:
Well done Helen - a Bearded Tit is one that i`ll probably not get round to for a few years yet. :clap:

Years? They do breed on the Tay reedbeds near Dundee too. Couple of hours drive or train journey for you, I'd have thought.

Here's one ringed on the Tay in 2003:

Attachments

• Tay Reedbeds 003.jpg
    Tay Reedbeds 003.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 211
Excellent Helen

They are becoming my nemesis, despite visiting Titchwell 3 times, Lakenheath, Minsmere, Leighton Moss and a local Teesside site where they frequent.

I vow to see one this year! either at Titchwell or some other spot. Rutland Water per chance?

Steve

H - nice one, charasmatic birds aren't they. Seemed to be more showey in Norfolk this year. Saw them at Titchwell, Cley and Strumpshaw Fen on my last trip. All this birding you'll be getting a pager next!

H - did you see Sammy?

Steve - I went up East Bank at Cley twice in May and had flight views both times. I was very lucky at Titchwell had two birds pose on two separate occasions.

Stewart J. said:
Did you hear them calling?
Oh aye, they were calling alright. I've never had a problem hearing them, just seeing them!

Steve, I know how you feel, they eluded me each time I looked for them.

helenol said:
Oh aye, they were calling alright. I've never had a problem hearing them, just seeing them!

Steve, I know how you feel, they eluded me each time I looked for them.

Nice one Helen - What's the betting that you can't stop seeing them now that your duck has been broken!!

Ruby said:
Nice one Helen - What's the betting that you can't stop seeing them now that your duck has been broken!!
LOL. Yes, sods law isn't it.

Now, if only that LSW would show up in the woods where I live.....

The best was....at Weeting there were a pair of spotted flycatchers no more than 6/7 ft away on the fence in front of the hide. Lovely birds to watch, but i've got one in the garden at home!! I was watching it bathing the other day!

helenol said:
The best was....at Weeting there were a pair of spotted flycatchers no more than 6/7 ft away on the fence in front of the hide. Lovely birds to watch, but i've got one in the garden at home!! I was watching it bathing the other day!

That's good to know - I've been struggling to see spot fly this year, so may have to pop to weeting one evening soon. It's quite worrying really last year there were at least two pair nesting in the churchyard in my parents village, but this year there's been no sign of them...

birdthing said:
missed you by one day was at weeting yesterday and i missedthe stone curlew to and i did see the woodlark to next time maybe we will see them i did see a bearded tit but at lakenheath fen no golden orioles about never mind

I was at Lakenheath + weeting when you were did you see a teen and his dad both quite tall I've got brown hait me dad black/grey

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back