• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few from Cameron Highlands, Malaysia (2 Viewers)

viator

Singapore
Appreciate confirming the id's of these taken Gunung Brinchang on the 29th June.

Attachments

• _DSC0057.jpg
    _DSC0057.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 114
  • _DSC0059.jpg
    _DSC0059.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 108
  • _DSC0069.jpg
    _DSC0069.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 108
  • _DSC0105.jpg
    _DSC0105.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 104
Hmm, none of the OBC pictures show any tail feather extension - could this just be an unusual movement, or does the pygmy really not have this kind of tail feather (muscle) at all? I don't know the range (or much else ;) ) about rufous- throated wren babbler - but could this pic be a rufous-throated??

Hmm, none of the OBC pictures show any tail feather extension - could this just be an unusual movement, or does the pygmy really not have this kind of tail feather (muscle) at all? I don't know the range (or much else ;) ) about rufous- throated wren babbler - but could this pic be a rufous-throated??

The Rufous-throated Wren Babbler (S. caudatus, assuming you mean this one?) is found in parts of Eastern Nepal and north-eastern India. No chance to find that one anywhere in Malaysia aim afraid.

Unfortunately endemic to the Indian sub-continent, but I Know here you're coming from. Interested to know, re PB if harterti is that different? The only image I've found is a front on fledgling..

Unfortunately endemic to the Indian sub-continent, but I Know here you're coming from. Interested to know, re PB if harterti is that different? The only image I've found is a front on fledgling..

I have only had some poor views of the harterti race (in the Cameroon Highlands) and apart from the few shots over at OBI I have not been able to find any other of this subspecies. Would be good with some more inputs on this bird.

Last edited:
For what its worth when I first saw this it was a distant view whilst walking down the road and I thought it was a Pygmy Wren Babbler (the questionable tail wasn't visible). I took this heavily cropped image from much closer at the moment a car lower down the mountain sounded its horn and the bird hopped on to the rock - it then went straight into the bushes and disappeared so unfortunately I have no more shots of it.

Since no one has mentioned the 2nd and 3rd shots I assume these are a female Snowy-browed Flycatcher and female Black-throated Sunbird?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back