• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which three birds do you most want to see? (1 Viewer)

Tough choice indeed. I'll go with:
1. Sword-billed Hummingbird
2. Harpy/Crested/Phillippine/Martial Eagle
3. Resplendent Quetzal/ Great Gray Owl

I don't even know where I would start for a world list, although Kagu, Cassowary (any), and Kakapo would have to be up there.

For ABA it's a little easier, especially limiting it to Code 3 and below birds

Ruddy Ground-dove - Nemesis
Bermuda Petrel
Gray-headed Chickadee

Harpy Eagle
Gyrfalcon
King Penguin
Heading to the Arctic to search for the Gyrfalcon in February. Have been to Belize looking for the Harpy Eagle but no luck.

My three most wanted to see, are not my favourate three...........so at present the three I want to see most are:-

Blue-cheeked Bee-eater
White-backed Woodpecker
Grey-headed Woodpecker

1. Bee-eater.
2. Hoopoe.
3. Red- capped Robin.
Although not bothered about the order that I see them, although don't think I'll ever get to see the Red- capped Robin and what a cracking Bird it is. :(

Bee-eater
Hoopoe
American Robin

Hopefully I'll see a American Robin next weekend heading off to NYC and plan to go to Central Park.

May I have 4?

Barred Warbler
Quail
Snow Goose
Lady A's Pheasant

All in the UK please. If I saw them I would achieve an ambition and that is to have seen all the 'regulars' according to the 1983 Shell Guide.

(PS Euan I have seen all of those on Scilly)

The three bogey birds are:

Great Spotted Cuckoo
Mangrove Cuckoo
Mississippi Kite

I would swap all three, however, to watch Cassowaries again. Impressive birds.

Two out of three down to date ;) ! Good luck with the owl next year mate.

Kakapo, Spoon-billed Sandpiper & Marvellous Spatuletail for me.

James

EDIT Obviously I reserve the right to change my mind at whim, depending on which fieldguides I've recently been leafing through, or what pics gets posted on line, or any other reason at all. :t:

Cheers James,

Marvellous Spatuletail...mmm shows how dangerous these sorts of threads are.... I never thought of that!

John

1. Painted Bunting
2. Tufted Puffin
3. Painted Snipe

If there was a Painted Puffin, I'd like to see that too.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a 'Three birds you have some realistic chance of seeing', or 'three birds you would love to see but probably never will'.

A.
Pel's Fishing Owl
Green Malkoha
Any Flufftail.

B.
Puffin
Bowerbird
Frigatebird

Hopefully I'll see a American Robin next weekend heading off to NYC and plan to go to Central Park.
Well, Euan, I've not been to NYC myself, but if it's typical of the north-east U.S., you should be tripping over them in a place like Central Park. Especially at this time of year, when they're flocking to fruiting trees.

1. Gyrfalcon
2. Bee-eater
3. White-throated Needletail
(4. Wallcreeper)

All on my Patch, please? :smoke:

Now that's just greedy... |:p|

I'd cross an ocean for a Wallcreeper ... in fact, I did! And dipped... |:mad:|

1 Hobby
2 Stock Dove
3 Merlin

These are 3 regulars in my neck of the woods and are reported often. They just don't seem to be there when I look :-C

Good luck Andy, hope you get to see those soon! I've yet to see a Merlin either. Hobby and Stock Dove are both really nice birds, the few times I've seen a Hobby it's been really amazing and I remember getting a really close view of stock doves on a feeder at my local reservoir and really enjoyed that.

For me… difficult really to say but at this specific moment probably:

1. Little Owl - as I've heard them and seen a tiny glimpse but would LOVE to see one properly
2. Crested Tit - because they're just fantastic :t:
3. Storm Petrel - a bird I've really loved for years but not yet seen (I don't spend that much time at the coast)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back